The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hattie Ice  (Read 26416 times)

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hattie Ice
« Reply #120 on: Feb 05, 2009, 04:22 PM »
Has any one been out to Hattie in the past few days? Just wondering how the fishing is and how thick the ice is out there. ;D

I fished Hattie on Tuesday. The ice was ok then. It was probably about seven inches thick and very dirty on top. It is opening up in middle and as a result water is moving under the ice. I caught three perch and saw two others. Pretty slow.

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline Big Must

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #121 on: Feb 06, 2009, 06:25 AM »
Thanks tumbleweed for the info out at hattie. I might try Hattie this weekend some time.  ;D

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Feb 06, 2009, 01:25 PM »
I'll be fishing Hattie Sunday morning with a friend, we will be after perch. Hopefully it picks up.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Feb 08, 2009, 04:36 PM »
Went out this morning, fished from 8:30 to 1:30 in about 15 feet of water. Saw three perch on the camera, caught two of them. Very slow. Amazingly, no wind at all. Ice was 7 inches where I was at but nearby it was only 6. Closer to the bank it was 10 inches, so be careful out there, seems to be changing fast. Perch fishing is not what it was last year.

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Feb 09, 2009, 05:21 PM »
yeah i have do idea what happend to the perch think they are few and fare between 3 woulda been the best day i have heard of for perch out there

Offline Wyo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #125 on: Feb 10, 2009, 11:44 AM »
...Last month, after several weekends in a row with high winds, I couldn't stand it any longer.  Despite the wind warnings I headed out to Hattie.  As I unloaded I watched some folks try to anchor down their hut.  Despite their best efforts the wind picked that baby up and bounced it "down court" like it was a piece of paper.  You'd think this would've caused me second thoughts (...nawwwww!)  'Bout this time the wind relented just a tad, so I tacked down my Frabill hut.  A couple of hours later the wind had increased to the point I was afraid I'd have trouble collapsing it and making my escape.  My "great idea;" take each item out of the shelter, one-by-one, and clip them onto my still-holding ice screw.  This way, if the wind did pull the screw out, the combined weight of the gas auger, cooler, and all the other junk, would surely keep it from taking "the scenic tour" downwind.  The last item clipped-in, I entered the empty hut to collapse the tent.  As my foot came down on the plastic flooring the wind popped the ice screw out...the Frabill, auger, et.al. blew over the top of me and bounced a half-mile down the lake.  Anyone who doesn't think ice fishing is good exercise never walked all the way down a lake (several times) picking up pieces of stewn gear up and taking them back to the truck.  If there's a moral to this story I'm too tired to figger out what it is.
ICE IS NICE...

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
« Reply #126 on: Feb 10, 2009, 12:42 PM »
Hey Wyo,great story there,thanks for the laugh,that's some funny stuff.good to hear you retrieved all your gear.
Randy

Offline wyiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flag Up!!
« Reply #127 on: Feb 10, 2009, 01:15 PM »
That's quite a story - that would suck.  So how was the ice when you were out?  Any Forecasts for Thursday, I was thinking of trying it out, never ice fished there before, but will be through Laramie on Thursday.
wishin I was ice fishin

Offline unemployed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Feb 12, 2009, 03:32 PM »
For all you dissapointed Hattie fishermen...me included.  I have been fishing Granite significantly more this year.  For the last two weeks I have been picking up good perch bites in 15-20 ft form 3:30 til dark.  Not great size but when you throw in a dozen trout it makes for a much better trip than sitting out out in the wind and catching three at Hattie.
I release all trout...cause they taste that bad.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Feb 12, 2009, 05:38 PM »
Unemployed,
You and me both! Still haven't caught a perch out of Granite over about 9 inches though.

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Feb 12, 2009, 07:08 PM »
iam also unemployed lol and have been for 2 months wish the wind would calm down so i could go fishing alot more and enjoy it. Have there been any size to the perch you have been getting at granite and also how many a day have you been getting.

Offline unemployed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Feb 12, 2009, 11:51 PM »
The perch have not been anything to be proud of, but the occational keeper.  Pretty much none that I would have keeped at Hattie.  Some nice trout though.  Average 15 perch, best day 22 perch. 

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Feb 14, 2009, 05:00 PM »
Fished Hattie today from 9-3, only caught three perch and one rainbow. The biggest perch was only 9 inches. Here's a picture of the trout, 22 inches when he was laying straight. Took a picture and released him. Very slow fishing.

Offline gloomis

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Feb 14, 2009, 08:46 PM »
nice fish and good job on the C & R that lake needs alot of help

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Feb 14, 2009, 11:32 PM »
Yes it does need help!

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Feb 15, 2009, 06:45 PM »
Nice fish, one thing about Hattie and fishing in general is if you keep trying eventually you will catch a nice fish like that!!! Thanks for sharing.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Feb 15, 2009, 10:32 PM »
Thanks guys!

Offline perchpounder08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #137 on: Feb 16, 2009, 11:23 PM »
Fished Hattie Sat and Sun, pretty much one of the worst experiences of my life.  That lake is broken.  Went out with about 8 people total and nobody caught a fish.  Talked with a few others who were already out there and they had  a slow day too.  Fished Granite today with a heavy heart, and did pretty damn well though.  10 trout and 4 perch.  Small perch but the biggest rainbow was 18".  Anyone do well at Hattie yet this winter?

Offline unemployed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Feb 16, 2009, 11:41 PM »
I fished Hattie all weekend also...14 hours in total.  Not a single Jumbo, two I might have keeped if I would have had a bucket already.  I have fished that lake a lot of years and never had a winter this slow out there.  I keep hoping, but its not going to happen.  Nice fish 327, I had a twenty incher this weekend in Cheyenne.  Put him back of course.

Offline jwarren

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #139 on: Feb 16, 2009, 11:44 PM »
I think Hattie is about fished out, she doesn't have the water she used to to support the big kill tournaments

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here kitty kitty kitty.
« Reply #140 on: Feb 19, 2009, 03:11 AM »
Fished Hattie 2-3 times this year.  No perch.  Lost one big rainbow. 

I've been fishing granite instead, caught one jumbo perch and 4 little ones in about 2-3 trips.  Have not been able to find more than that.

I've limited out on small trout basically every trip in 10'-15'.  Lake is full of them!

Unemployed, or anyone else, where is the best place to look for perch at Granite? Thanks
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline unemployed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #141 on: Feb 19, 2009, 12:44 PM »
Unemployed, or anyone else, where is the best place to look for perch at Granite? Thanks

I am not certain there is a best spot...If there were I probably wouldn't give it up.  I have gotten perch on both sides of the viaduct and right by the dam.  If you are getting a few perch on a trip...you are probably close... try moving a foot or too deeper or shallower.  Also, fish like your fishing for perch, Jigging spoons, kastmasters, superdupers, ect.  You'll be suprised at the better trout you catch out of there when you do that also.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Feb 19, 2009, 01:11 PM »
I fish Granite, almost every week throughout the year, from what I can tell there are perch everywhere. Some spots seem to have more than others but I've never found them super concentrated into one area. I've caught them anywhere from 6 to 20 feet of water.

Offline Big Must

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #143 on: Feb 19, 2009, 02:03 PM »
Hey heading out to Hattie this weekend does any one have a clue on where to catch fish out there? Do you think that there is more fish in the east side or more in the west side of the lake.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Feb 19, 2009, 02:09 PM »
I've caught trout over 20 inches in both lakes this year, so they seem to be pretty even as far as trout go.

Offline unemployed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Feb 20, 2009, 12:03 AM »
Hey heading out to Hattie this weekend does any one have a clue on where to catch fish out there? Do you think that there is more fish in the east side or more in the west side of the lake.

There have been a bunch of people 10+ fishing the opposite side of the lake from the main boat ramp for three weeks now.  I wouldn't fish the same spot for three weeks if I wasn't catching anything.

Offline Big Must

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #146 on: Feb 20, 2009, 03:38 AM »
Thanks for the info on that guys. I have been out to Hatti 4 times this year and have not had any luck thouse 4 times. :(

Offline neversummer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #147 on: Feb 22, 2009, 12:23 PM »

I don't know if this pic will work because I have not posted pictures before. But hattie finally produced yesterday. Caught 73 with my fishing buddy, kept sixty of them. We cheated though and used an underwater camera to find where the school was before we started fishing. Drastic times call for drastic measures.

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Feb 22, 2009, 01:22 PM »
Wow nice haul.

Offline Big Must

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #149 on: Feb 22, 2009, 02:44 PM »
Hey neversummer nice haul. I was out at Hatti yesterday also with three of my friends that I go to school with and none of us caught any fish. Were you on the north end of the main lake?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.