Author Topic: I want warmer boots...anyone like Baffins? Something else?  (Read 10399 times)

Offline Vt Piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
 With each passing year my hair gets greyer and my feet get colder. Mickey boots are too dang heavy. I've gone through the past posts and the archives and discovered a boot maker in Canada eh?, called Baffin. Took a look at their website and it appears that they have a warm product. It's also a pricey product. I'm particularly interested in the Apex model. Only weighs 2.6 lbs.
 Have any of you worn Baffin boots? Whattaya think? Does the insulation on the bottom hold up over the years or does it compact into a non-insulator?
 Any other "extreme cold" boot manufacturers I might consider? I'm looking for that "once and for all" boot.
  Please advise,
                     Thank you
                                     :tipup: :tipup:
<br />img

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: I want warmer boots...anyone like Baffins? Something else?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2008, 05:13 PM »
I think they are the best boot made !
I got a pair last year and wouldn't part with them .

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2008, 05:18 PM »
i would invest in a pair of muck boots, or at least try em out.....there is a model of thiers called the arctic sport.....it is good to -40 below, i know because ive tested it here in alaska. they are comfy to wear in temps up to 55 above....there like slippers, basically a really warm and comfy rubber boot. no laces or anything to mess with, 100% water proof which is nice for duck hunting or traipsing thru wet areas and mud.... i wore em on kodiak island for 10 days hunting rugged country for blacktail deer and i never had a problem.. here they cost about 100 bucks.....there worth it....check em out at muck boots.com
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2008, 05:28 PM »
I'm gonna keep an eye on this post!! I still haven't found a boot that will keep my feet warm when I'm chillin in the shanty

Offline HotHook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2008, 05:38 PM »
Hi Guys
Yes my hair is getting greyer too and the feet colder.
I bought a pair of the Baffin boots today,haven't had a chance to try them out in cold weather yet.
The tag on them says they are good for -100 degrees celcius or -147 degrees farhenhiet.
I  tried them on at home,they sure are comfortable.
The price in Canada three weeks ago was $189.00 Canadian.I got them for $169.00 Canadian today
at the same store.
I guess a person should shop around for the best deal.
HotHook
"If you can't run with the BIG DOGS stay on the porch".

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2008, 05:42 PM »
I picked up a pair of Irish Setters this winter and it was the best ice fishing investment I've ever made.  Great grip on all sorts of surfaces and very warm.  Highly recommended.

Offline duramaxdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2008, 05:45 PM »
I second the irish setters being warm boots, I have a normal leather boot 1000 grams thinsulate and never had a wet or cold foot. They pretty much double as a snow shoe since these boots are so wide. Yeah and forget about driving a sports car with these on you can control all three pedals with the tip off your little toe.

Offline Doug D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2008, 05:47 PM »
I have had a pair of baffin boots for 3 winters now and love them. The ones I have are on the heavy side but warm and comfortable. I used to work at an outward bound type program and we used to outfit all the kids with baffin boots in the winter and they complained about everything except there feet being cold and that's what sold me on them.

Offline pickeral boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2008, 05:49 PM »
My work bought me a pair of baffins. They are real  warm. Only problem is they have steel toe which makes them a bit bulky. Have a hard time working the clutch with them on. Otherwise nice boots

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2008, 05:54 PM »
I own a pair of these:

Best boots I have ever owned.  My days of worrying about cold feet have been over since I bought these.

Baffin products are amazing.  Also check out Sorels...another Canadian made boot that are equally as good...if fact, Sorels are probably more popular than Baffins in my area...either way you can't go wrong!!

shawno  8)

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2008, 05:57 PM »
I'm sure the canadians definetly know how to make a warm boot!!

Offline johnnyboy8451234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2008, 06:03 PM »
Lacrosse ice king boots.. warmest boots I ever used. and have had the same pair for ice fishing deer stand hunting about 12 years  :)

Offline icefishindaddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • please make ice
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2008, 06:07 PM »
I use the Baffin boots and they are the warmest and most comfortable boots ever. Highly recommend :) :)

Offline vtpoolman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2008, 06:21 PM »
i have the trans alaskin boots got them from cabelas a couple years ago. don't think there is a warmer boot maid. rated to 135 below. they are like wearing a pilow on your feet. very comfey. but are BIG but not heavy. here's a link
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0006182&navCount=2&parentId=cat20574&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20564-cat20574_TGP&parentType=index&indexId=cat20574&rid=
but if you are sitting in a shanty a long time and your feet get cold put a rubber mat or piece of carpet, use your truck mat would work. you would be surprised what that little bit would do by just getting your feet off the ice.

Offline Wheres Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2008, 07:06 PM »
I'll second the vote for the Cabelas Trans Alaska boots. Haven't had cold feet since I bought mine. Definitely worth the $170 bucks.

Offline Vt Piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2008, 07:25 PM »
 Greetings all,
 I really appreciate the input. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and see what comes up. Right now, it looks like Baffin is winning.
   Gotta go sleep. It's a grey hair thing.

:tipup: :tipup:
<br />img

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2008, 07:32 PM »
I have Arctic Sport Muck Boots and love them....  Would not go to anything else!
16" height
100% waterproof to the top
Very warm
Light weight
Not bulky like regular PAC boots

Offline ADK NH GUY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2008, 07:37 PM »
Love my Sorrels.  Its all I have been wearing for years, same pair in fact.  I wear them fishing, hunting and snowmobiling.
A mans Shanty is his Castle

Offline the_icefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
LaCrosse Ice Kings
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2008, 07:41 PM »
I have been wearing LaCrosse Ice Kings for the past 5 or 6 years and find they are great. They keep my feet toasty warm all day in -30 weather we get up here in Canada on occasion.

The specs for the Ice Kings are:

The first boot of its kind with Triple-Insulation and still the best in its class. It's the perfect boot for the most rigorous cold weather demands. Cold Temp Rating -85/ to -150. 100% waterproof, full-grain leather upper. Superior cold weather polymeric foam insulation with Thinsulate™ Insulation plus a removable foam liner with 9mm felt sole. Felt midsole for comfort and warmth. Trac-Lite™ outsole for traction in snow and ice. Fiberglass shank for arch support.

Weight: 7.4lbs per pair

As a Canadian I dont want to discourage anyone from buying Canadian Baffin boots but the Ice Kings are great and typically have a price of about $120. Used to be made in the USA but I think are now made offshore.

Hard water and tight lines................. ......icefisher
Hard water and tight lines.......

Offline Bugman1964

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2008, 07:53 PM »
I wear an all rubber with a thick felt liner boot made by Baffin. They do keep my feet dry and use to keep my feet warm but as I have gotten older I notice my feet are less tolerant to the cold. My method of combating cold feet no matter what footwear I have on is to slip small hand warmers up under my toes. Works like a charm and inexpensive too.

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2008, 09:01 PM »
For anyone who cares, both LaCrosse and Irish Setter are now made in China.  At least the ones I looked at last Friday were. 

The Baffins look good, but they just don't "look" waterproof to me.  100% waterproof is my first priority.  Warmth is secondary.  I seldom fish in below zero weather, and when I do, I'm in a portable heated to 30 or 40 degrees.  I do auger a lot of holes, and I use the auger as a skimmer, so I've always got water on my feet.

The Muck boots look like the ticket, but I can't find anything on the web site telling me where they're made.  I e-mailed them to find out.  Anybody know?

Mike
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

germanshorthair

« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2008, 10:04 PM »
I use sorels I have two pairs the conquest (-30 boot) good for tracking most outings but if really freezing I have  the sorels alpha trac ( -50 buckle boots) get the laces though if you buy a pair, imo the buckles a pain in the A for on and off outside... also go half size larger for thicker socks,  To help keep boot and socks from sweating feet never drive with the snow boots on.. I actually use my cloggers and when i get to the parking lot  i even change my socks to (wool socks) just after air drying feet.If it is really sub zero weather  even a -50 sorel or any standing boot won't keep toes warm if you have sweaty feet and boots. The way to combat cold toes a long day on ice is using those heat warmer feet/toe pads ! I would spend a couple bucks to assure warm feet no questions about it.  Only other way is to walk your cold feet or shake your numbing toes for some short relief.. once your feet sweat and get cold ,nothing  better than toe warmers or sole warmers for a standing out on ice all day.

Offline mr.bibit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • owner/operator VTSPORTSMAN
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2008, 10:41 PM »
Rocky blizzard stalkers with neoprene insert water proof,warm,lite.had mine for 5 years and ice fish 80 days a year and Never get cold!I do get cold in my 1000 gram rocky's and muck boots.
Scott
Vtsportsman hardwater tournament series

Offline DanAKAL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2008, 02:07 AM »
I've worn LaCrosse Ice Kings for longer than I can remember.  About five years ago they sold out and moved to China.  I won't be buying anymore of their boots because of this.  I believe the same is true for Sorel which was my second choice but I won't be buying any of those from China.  I expect it will be Baffin for me when it's time for new boots.

Dan
"Come With Me Little Girl On A Magic Carpet Ride"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2008, 02:55 AM »
I'll second the vote for the Cabelas Trans Alaska boots. Haven't had cold feet since I bought mine. Definitely worth the $170 bucks.
5 years on my Trans Alaskas...they are the best.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2008, 07:16 AM »
Over several years I have had :
Sorrel snow bear ... OK but heavy
Irish Setter , junk in my opinion . had two pair 1 for hunting 1 for snow both came apart at the seams literally
Rocky Blizzard stalkers , second best pair I have owned
Baffin , second to none , water proof Light and very warm with 1 pair of wool or alpaca socks

Offline bogeyjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay on Top!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2008, 07:48 AM »
I've owned Lacrosse Ice Kings, Sorels, Prolines, and Mickey Mouse boots...and none have come close to my Cabelas Predator Extremes for warmth and comfort...very light but put together very well.  These are very similar to the Trans-Alaskans, another great boot...both are rated to around -150 deg.  I think the reason these boots are so warm is because there are many layers of insulation between the sole of the boot and your feet...and when you're on ice, the more real estate you can put between the ice and your tootsies the better. ;D

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2008, 07:52 AM »
I have tried to find great boots and have been unsuccessful so far, I have poor circulation so my feet either sweat or freeze... I am thinking about the new clam boots... Still undecided.

Offline Mikey B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2008, 07:59 AM »
Used to wear Mickey Mouse boots, and they did keep the feet warm, but 2 things i didn't like about them, were weight, and made my feet sweat to much, feet felt like a sponge when i took them off.
About 4 years ago got a pair of Rocky Bearclaws, 1,000 grams of insulation, problem solved. Boots are lite, and feet stay toasty warm, and all i need is 1 pair of socks. 160 bucks at Cabelas.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 11, 2008, 08:16 AM »
I've owned Lacrosse Ice Kings, Sorels, Prolines, and Mickey Mouse boots...and none have come close to my Cabelas Predator Extremes for warmth and comfort...very light but put together very well.  These are very similar to the Trans-Alaskans, another great boot...both are rated to around -150 deg.  I think the reason these boots are so warm is because there are many layers of insulation between the sole of the boot and your feet...and when you're on ice, the more real estate you can put between the ice and your tootsies the better. ;D

So far I'm loving my Predator Extremes. I've only had them out a couple of times. 4 hrs. in a tree stand in 12 deg. weather and 5 hrs. on the ice. All I wore were polypro liner socks and I was plenty warm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.