The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New MN Members Check in Here!  (Read 175889 times)

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New MN Members Check in Here!
« Reply #450 on: Mar 02, 2012, 07:59 PM »
Hi Jeff and welcome to Ice Shanty.com !
From the way it sounds you like to fish some of the same waters that i do when i head for the
north east part of the state !
Hard Ice

Offline hardwaterdevil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #451 on: Mar 03, 2012, 12:59 PM »
New to ice shanty. Grew up in Maple Grove, fish all over MN, WI, and ND. Used to fish a number of metro lakes but now reside in Fargo. I have a good amount of experience on Vermillion, Lake of the Woods, Ottertail, Mille Lacs, and several lakes in the Detroit Lakes area. I ice fish agressive, lots of holes, lots of movin around so I don't fish in a house if I don't have to. Hard to enjoy the great outdoors when you cant move!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #452 on: Mar 04, 2012, 11:40 AM »
Welcome to Iceshanty.. Sounds like you'll fit right in! ;D

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #453 on: Mar 07, 2012, 03:12 AM »
Welcome Gents !
Hard Ice

Offline Umarkin?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #454 on: Apr 16, 2012, 05:52 PM »
Hey all,

I am from the Nrothwest suburbs.  I have decided to build a new Ice shack and came across this site which has given me some very helpful pointers.  I normally fish western Suburbs, also upper and Lower Red, Mille Lacs and winnie.  Hopefully I can share some of my knowledge along the way since I have already used some of yours. Thanks

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #455 on: Apr 16, 2012, 06:07 PM »
Welcome to the site! It's our off season right now, so it's pretty quiet around here. There should be enough reading to keep ya busy till this place gets hopping around deer season though! ;D

Offline Mark Wo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #456 on: Apr 19, 2012, 01:08 PM »
First post.

Mark from Woodbury.  Been ice fishing for the past couple of years.  Bought a Frabill Trekker Deluxe,gas auger, Marcum LX5 and a couple of poles and haven't looked back.  I'm not into soft water fishing but I absolutely love hard water fishing.

I've fished Forest Lake, Bald Eagle, White Bear, Little Lake, St. Croix and many others.  Haven't gotten into anything other than pan fishing as this alone floats my boat pretty well.  Also not into the size of the fish I catch as I prefer action and quantity over bigger and fewer.  Now if I could catch bigger AND many, now we're talking.

I get out an average of twice a week typically late afternoons during the week.  I fish as long as I can before packing up and heading home.  Man I miss the season already as this past season wasn't the best for me.

Off season I'm trying to decide if I want to trade up from the Trekker to the Frabill Guardian thermal.  Size wise it should still fit in the back of the my vehicle but it is significantly heavier (125lbs verse 85lbs).  When I had my pick up, the wieghjt wouldn't matter as much to me, now that I have an SUV, I'm wondering if I will be able to get the Guardian into the back by myself.  I've got a few months to figure this out.

Love the site and will frequent it often I am sure.

Mark

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #457 on: Apr 19, 2012, 07:16 PM »
Here is a thread that was going on how to make a poor mans thermal with common construction materials. Check it out...  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=207438.0 I fish a Voyager, so I was unwilling to deal with the added weight and cost of a thermal unit. I stuck some reflectex in there and I'm soooooo glad I did!

Anyway, welcome to Iceshanty. If you want to get to that point that you are catching lots of big ones, this is a really good place to start. It sounds like you are willing and able to spend the time it takes on the ice to figure it all out. It's just a matter of application after that.

I am the resident janitor for the MN section, so if you have any questions, give me a shout!

Offline Mark Wo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #458 on: Apr 23, 2012, 10:49 AM »
Reflectix - did that last year - what a difference.  Not sure about keeping the shack that much warmer but it did stop the rain from coming down.  I work at the company that suppleis the material to make the thermal shacks thermal and hope I can find it here somewhere.

Reason I'm looking to upgrade shacks is the height issue with the Trekker.  It is plenty wide and the weight is right.  I really don't like having a shcak that I can't stand up in.  I mean I know we all ice fish sitting down but when I want to stand up, I've got to crank my head over.  When there are two in the shack, we bang heads.  I know, minor issue but one that really bothers me.  It would also be nice to have a little more width.  Decisions, decisions.....

Great site, can't wait till 2102 ice fishing.....

Thanks for the welcome Skipper

Mark

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #459 on: Apr 23, 2012, 05:18 PM »
I'm a space guy too. I consider a Voyager a two man and would not want much smaller.

Offline Big Slabs1982

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #460 on: Jul 20, 2012, 04:11 PM »
Hi, my name is Jason I am from South Haven besides work ice fishing is all I do in the winter and have been doing it since I was a kid.  I fish mostly the smaller lakes around Wright and Meeker county.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #461 on: Jul 20, 2012, 09:28 PM »
Welcome to Iceshanty!

Make sure you keep checking in, especially after deer season. We have a pretty good bunch of guys here.

Offline kjayson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #462 on: Aug 16, 2012, 10:51 AM »
Hello,

My name is Kevin.  I am new to the site but have been a ice fishing addict for a while.  I live in the Metro but grew up on the Iron Range. 

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #463 on: Aug 16, 2012, 11:05 AM »
Welcome to Iceshanty. The iron range must have been a pretty cool place to grow up!

Offline Gopher on Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #464 on: Sep 21, 2012, 10:38 PM »
Hello everyone. Im Gopher on Ice and I live south of the Metro. I fish with my grandfather up at mille lacs and I fish for walleye, perch, and panfish. I joined Ice shanty so that I could absorb as much information as possible about ice fishing.

Offline Bull Giller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #465 on: Sep 21, 2012, 10:53 PM »
Welcome Gopher  :thumbsup:
Retired full-time Mille Lacs Guide now chasing my favorite panfish.
Honda Foreman 450ES
Polaris 600 Indy XCR 

Offline Mn Scott

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #466 on: Sep 22, 2012, 11:47 AM »
hello everyone!!  i live in the metro area and fish bald eagle a lot for those stunted crappies,they sure are fun to catch, but just bought a permy on the north end of mille lacs at barnacles resort so will be spending a lot of time up there this winter.
Old fishermen never die...they just smell that way!

Offline Fishnfun1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #467 on: Sep 22, 2012, 01:02 PM »
Wow, didn't even see this thread. Welcome new guys, I'm kind of new myself. My name is Josh, I live in the south metro and mainly fish Prior Lake and Spring Lake. Fish of choice is crappie and sunnies, but hope to get on some big perch this year.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #468 on: Sep 22, 2012, 07:50 PM »
Welcome new guys!

I am itching for winter badly.... I just put a plow on my pickup this afternoon and I want to play with it!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #469 on: Sep 23, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Welcome guys!!! Mn Scott...maybe I'll see you on Bald Eagle...I fish there ,and Centerville and White Bear. Have to drive up there, not a lot down in the SE corner of this state that you can drive your truck on!!!!  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Mn Scott

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #470 on: Sep 23, 2012, 10:01 PM »
well as long as we dont have a winter like last year rebelss!  only made it out a couple times on bald eagle last year with the thin ice.
Old fishermen never die...they just smell that way!

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • May Your Rattle Reel's Ring Often!!!
« Reply #471 on: Sep 24, 2012, 07:11 PM »
Welcome to the Minnesota Shanty   Guys!!  @)     
I only work so that I can afford to fish, hunt, & farm

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #472 on: Sep 24, 2012, 07:21 PM »
I kinda feel like a transplant with the fact I fished more up there last season than I did in Iowa.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #473 on: Sep 24, 2012, 07:51 PM »
If our ice was questionable for a good part of the winter, yours must have been sketchy at best.... :-\

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #474 on: Sep 24, 2012, 10:08 PM »
welcome ya'll!!!

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #475 on: Sep 28, 2012, 12:33 PM »
I am new to Minnesota this winter. Moved here from the UP. I live on the iron range. I hope to get back into ice fishing, didn't have much time for it while in school.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #476 on: Sep 28, 2012, 07:43 PM »
Welcome to IS and MN then!

Offline nitram

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #477 on: Sep 30, 2012, 10:04 PM »
 Like I said this computer stuff is new to me.
But fishing is not. Both open and hard water. I'm from moorhead and fish the DL and Cormorant areas often.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #478 on: Sep 30, 2012, 10:08 PM »
Welcome to Iceshanty.... I'm a full fledged computer dummy! ;D

Offline bryanl87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #479 on: Oct 03, 2012, 10:32 AM »
Hey, I am Bryan from Eagan, MN. Grown up fishing with my Dad all the time and now married recently moved up North to explore some new fishing spots. Looking forward to hit the ice soon!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.