Author Topic: reflectix insulation question  (Read 4483 times)

Offline peon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE FISH NAKED!! *S.E. OHIO*
reflectix insulation question
« on: Jan 02, 2012, 02:16 PM »
Just bought a roll for my otter and I did the top two sections but have plenty more left. Did any of you guys do the front around the door and the back sections too?

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: reflectix insulation question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2012, 03:35 PM »
I did all the down the back to the tub of my yukon. Didn't do the front door, just the back and top.

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2012, 03:40 PM »
Can't fix stupid!  I have to ask cause I really don't know. What is reflectix?? ??? ???

Sounds like somthing I'd like to do to my yukon. What about a pic?

How do you attatch it?
Just looked it up I know what it is now.

wouldn't it reflect unwanted light around inside?
:icefish:

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2012, 03:49 PM »
I just have it across the roof bows of my Voyager....

Think of silver bubble wrap. Home Depot or Lowes will have it. It is used for insulation around ducts and what not... Google, you will see.

It is one of the best mods you can do with a flip over... It makes it into a thermal cap shack for less money and huge weight savings. I would only do the roof, heat rises. You don't want to bulk it up so bad that it wont fold properly.

It eliminates the drip when it is cold out...

wouldn't it reflect unwanted light around inside?

Yes, it sends the light back down to the floor where you can use it. Your get better use out of less light.

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2012, 03:55 PM »
Yes, it sends the light back down to the floor where you can use it. Your get better use out of less light.

sounds good mostly but I like to keep the least amount of light I can at my holes.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2012, 04:00 PM »
Trust me, you will be able to turn your lantern down three notches. Less is more!

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2012, 04:03 PM »
Trust me, you will be able to turn your lantern down three notches. Less is more!

Point taken.
how do you attatch it?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2012, 04:06 PM »
Just put it between the roof bows and the canvas. You can tape the ends to the last bow you go to. It is so easy, it was a shame I didn't do it before.

Offline peon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2012, 04:22 PM »
Thanks for the fast replies!  I only did the top and it cost $25 and I had enough to do my buddy's also!  I just made holes and used zipties!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:37 PM »
Has anybody tried using this material in a Hub style shelter??  Do you leave it up when you fold up the shelter or take it down each time??

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:39 PM »
Has anybody tried using this material in a Hub style shelter??  Do you leave it up when you fold up the shelter or take it down each time??

I'm going to permanently attach it.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2012, 05:44 PM »
Mine has been left in permanently too. It adds almost no weight and bulk, better than a thermal shack IMO....

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:02 PM »
3 years on my yukon reflectix.  My piece goes from the top front back to top of the zip out for the clam coupler.  No drips and less fuel for the buddy.  Best mod ever.
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline smallmouthman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish fear me.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:13 PM »
This material works great. I did my Fra-Bill Commando flip over and my buddy's Fra-Bill Recon Deluxe out of the same roll. It helps to use the special foil tape that you can get for it as I reinforced the slots that I made in it where the straps that hold the canvas to the roof hoop.s go through.

Offline danerc07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2012, 02:25 AM »
How do you guys think this would work on a clam denalli II? My concern is that it folds down from each side. Would it make sense to have basically two pieces one for each side and have them meet in the middle? I really want to do this eventually but not sure how it's going to work. Any ideas let me know!
youtube.com/danerc07

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2012, 03:31 AM »
How about some pictures???  And I wonder if it would work in a shapple 4000??
Gator Nation

Offline peon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2012, 02:26 PM »
My roll wasn't big enough to do one wide strip so I used two strips for each section and it folds up just fine as for pictures its hard to get a good one because of lighting and the foil like material

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2012, 02:43 PM »
How about some pictures???  And I wonder if it would work in a shapple 4000??

It would work, but you may have to remove it when you take the shack down. I fished out of a DX3000 for a few years, so I am familiar with the construction. You could hold it up there pretty good with those plastic roof bows. When not in use, it could be folded up and set in the center of the tent with your roof poles.

I have to go grab my flasher out of my shack to charge the battery, I will just flip it up and take some pics. I will post them later on today in this thread.

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2012, 04:40 PM »
Just finished installing reflectix in my 2 man flipover. I ran it up the back and over the roof  pole. Since the roll was not wide enough, I ran one strip and secured it by notching out for the roof straps, and using cable ties. Then I measured the remaining space, laid the roll out and cut it to the width needed, and then to length.  I did not tape the seam or bottom yet, I want to try it out first. I did notch it out for the windows on the back.

Not sure if pictures will turn out due to the light reflection. If they turn out, and if I can figure out how to post them, I will add them to this thread.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2012, 04:47 PM »
Easy way to post photos.

Rather than review what you agreed to when you signed up, I'll cover a few things to help you out on this mysterious issue, ha.

Best print this out for reference.

First of all, you can't post pictures and photos on this site.   Go to photobucket .com and set up a free account. Up-load your photos to that site. Look at your album, scroll over the photo you choose and notice a small window will pop up. Accross the top, choose edit, then resize to what is stated in the sign-up you agreed to.(Maybe 680 by440, or something close). After resizing,scroll over the photo again, this time scroll to the IMG code, left click(it copies the code), go to your Iceshanty "Post", left click your cursor into the post, right click and choose "Paste". Give it time and then click "Preview". If you got it correct, you'll see your photo.

It's really easy but, not until you train your mouse.    :woot: :roflmao:

Good luck

Tom

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2012, 05:11 PM »
Here ya go... it was a little difficult to photograph because I could not get far enough away... But anyway...

Here it is all folded up. It interferes with nothing, it's like nothing is even there.

Here is a shot through the door. Notice how I cut a slit for the velcro loop in the center, and taped it to the front and rear (rear pictured) roof bow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.