Author Topic: Propane Lantern Question  (Read 558 times)

Offline bryan62

• Team IceShanty Regular
Propane Lantern Question
« on: Dec 08, 2008, 07:16 AM »
I like to pack light and don't carry my Coleman lanterns with me anymore. back in the "old" days, we used to use them in our ice fishing box for heat and light. Now days I have a Eskimo Quick flip, hand muff and warmer packs, and I use an LED cap light for darker conditions. The old Coleman gas lanterns have been retired to camping use. What I am getting to is my question about propane lanterns. I recently saw the Coleman compact single mantle lanterns. These looked very interesting and I wondered if anyone had any experience with one? I thought one might come in handy for those particularly bitter cold days when the tent needs a little heat to make it more comfortable. A large lanter, or heater are too bulky and hot for my taste. Any input??? ???
The breath of God produces ice,
and the broad waters become frozen.
Job 37:10

Jesus was the best fisherman!! Luke 5:6

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
Re: Propane Lantern Question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2008, 08:25 AM »
 We use them on our elk hunting pack trips. I have had one for several years. They work great in our tents. They give some heat and they don't take up too much space. I wrapped the original box with duck tape and I'm still using it today.
 A nice little back up. :tipup:

Wyoming Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2008, 08:35 AM »
I have a single mantle one that screws onto the small propane bottles. It works great.

Offline bryan62

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2008, 08:43 AM »
Thanks guys. I read on Coleman's sight that they last for up to 12 hours. I thought they would be great for portability. I am not interested too much in lighting capability, but if they could warm the shanty up and/or hands, I would add one to my inventory.
The breath of God produces ice,
and the broad waters become frozen.
Job 37:10

Jesus was the best fisherman!! Luke 5:6

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2008, 10:06 AM »
i  got a couple of them. they're great.
what i like most, i think, is that they can be turned down to a soft glow when you don't need full bright.
that way, they last a long time on a bottle of fuel.
maybe it's me, but i seem to go through a lot of mantles- and not every place carries them, so i buy a bunch when i do find them.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2008, 11:43 AM »
They work really good for light but put out minimal heat. I know there are times when one of these would be fine just to thaw the fingers if you're unhooking a lot of fish.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.