The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: How many have pulled a pike back into the hole to spear it?  (Read 3920 times)

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
The 6 pounder I speared today came in like a rocket, and grabbed my sucker and took it under the ice. Fortunately , I was able to grab the line, pull the fish back into the hole, and nail it with the spear. I have tried this a few times before, but never been able to connect. The pike have either let go, or I missed with the spear. Has anyone had much luck with that?

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
Re: How many have pulled a pike back into the hole to spear it?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:20 PM »
The 6 pounder I speared today came in like a rocket, and grabbed my sucker and took it under the ice. Fortunately , I was able to grab the line, pull the fish back into the hole, and nail it with the spear. I have tried this a few times before, but never been able to connect. The pike have either let go, or I missed with the spear. Has anyone had much luck with that?
Do you have a DVR for your camera?  That would have been cool to see!

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2008, 09:57 AM »
Last year, I had 2 small pike come in at the same time. I speared the bigger one, dropped a rattlin' rap down the hole, and got the second one to come back in about 45 seconds time.

I really like it when a pike comes charging in, misses the bait, and turns for a second run. Gets my heart pounding just thinking of it. :thumbsup: I've missed a few that charge in, and they come back with the spear still fully in the water. They are oblivious to anything except the bait on days like that. ;D
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2008, 05:16 PM »
Do you have a DVR for your camera?  That would have been cool to see!

No DVR. I tried my camera again this morning, but it would not work again. It seems like it is not charging. I just bought it last Jan. I hope the battery isn't shot already. I'll be checking it out tonight.

Offline Fixin To Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2008, 08:59 PM »
Yes, I have only been doing this for 2 seasons, and have successfully completed this maneuver twice. Its similar to the stories about the people that catch the pike on their Traducer for their flashers, (but minus the spearing part).

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2008, 04:07 AM »
That`s how the first ever pike I got came in.Grabbed the minnow and ran with it and got him pulled back and dropped the spear on it.
Seems like that must have been beginners luck as I`ve not been able to connect with one since then. ;D
I`ll be trynig this week again though as the ice on the favorite pikin hole is there.

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2008, 04:21 AM »
No DVR. I tried my camera again this morning, but it would not work again. It seems like it is not charging. I just bought it last Jan. I hope the battery isn't shot already. I'll be checking it out tonight.

OPen up the back of it where the charging cord attaches. I had somethign similar happen to me last year and it was a connection on the board behind the access door that was loose.

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2008, 06:34 PM »
OPen up the back of it where the charging cord attaches. I had somethign similar happen to me last year and it was a connection on the board behind the access door that was loose.

I'm officially an idiot. I have beem plugging the camera in the port on the front of the screen. I got to looking and found the handy little charging port on the rear of the unit. I purchased the camera on the way to Upper Red Lake last year and only used it a few times since then-apparently on the same charge. I should have taken the time to read the owners manual when I bought it.

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2008, 10:12 PM »
I'm officially an idiot. I have beem plugging the camera in the port on the front of the screen. I got to looking and found the handy little charging port on the rear of the unit. I purchased the camera on the way to Upper Red Lake last year and only used it a few times since then-apparently on the same charge. I should have taken the time to read the owners manual when I bought it.

To funny. Sounds like something I would have done. ;D ;D
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline pickledpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2008, 10:52 PM »
SHhhh! Don't tell anyone you saved the owners manual.

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2009, 01:41 PM »
I've pulled some real good ones back into the hole for sweet tooth to do her magic!

it happens
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.