Author Topic: Sweat-wicking socks?  (Read 3346 times)

Offline JigginRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sweat-wicking socks?
« on: Dec 04, 2008, 09:54 PM »
I just purchased a couple pairs of Rocky liner socks. I was thinking of trying them out on the ice this year. They say they pull moisture away from your feet keeping them warmer and dryer. Has anyone else used this type or brand and if so how well did they work and how did they compare to wool socks?

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
Re: Sweat-wicking socks?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2008, 09:59 PM »
wool, poly pro, micro fleece, dry climb, all of those fabrics whick moisture away from your body and keep you dryer/warmer. be careful with paying high dollar for brand names, they will all keep you warm, some just put a bigger hole in your wallet. as long as you layer up, and dont let cotton touch your body under any cirmumstances, you will be A-OK. I personaly wear poly pro sock liners, whool socks, and micro fleece (hot chilli's long johns) top and bottom, and the cold doesnt even exist.

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2008, 10:12 PM »
I use either wool or Alpaca depending on how cold it's going to be .

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2008, 10:16 PM »
Military wool blend socks have worked real good for Me.Black or green,Wear em 2 pairs at a time.
If you wear a size 11 then get them in a 15 as they do shrink.

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline JigginRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2008, 10:20 PM »
Ok, I know how good my sweat wicking t shirts work for keeping me warm and just figured that the same priciple would work for the socks, and i only paid 6.50 so I dont think i got ripped off to bad? Well if i did, you get what you pay for. LOL

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2008, 04:29 AM »
Nike Dri Feet and alpaca work great.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2008, 04:40 AM »
Cabelas Polypro liner

Cabelas wool boot sock

I've worn these wool boot socks for years. Just don't put them in the dryer.,..they'll end up fitting your 5 year old grandchild.

Polypro/wool combination wicks moisture and retains loft to keep your feet toasty. It helps to have boots that deal with moisture as well. My Cabelas Trans Alaska's do an incredible job whether I'm just sitting for the day or taking my usual 5 mile trek.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline JigginRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2008, 07:02 AM »
You bring up boots. Right now i got the good old bata's. So far i've never gotten a cold foot wearing them but i have gotten a lil cool in them, and it was from wet feet. So i'm hoping these should stop all cold and i'd have toasty feet all winter. ;D

Offline The Dad Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2008, 07:20 AM »
Anything wool....no Cotton
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2008, 07:50 AM »
I have a pair of mossy oak poly props and they work really well, i never woulda thought such a thin sock would make such a difference, with decent boots i can go all day with just them on my feet and stay warm
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2008, 07:52 AM »
I pretty much wear Wigwam wool socks exclusively outdoors. Inexpensive and great warmth :)

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2008, 08:06 AM »
I just purchased a couple pairs of Rocky liner socks. I was thinking of trying them out on the ice this year. They say they pull moisture away from your feet keeping them warmer and dryer. Has anyone else used this type or brand and if so how well did they work and how did they compare to wool socks?
I have the same socks. They work great under a pair of wool or synthetic socks. I used them all of huntin' season this year. Only thing is that if your boots don't allow moisture to escape (rubber) the insides will get damp if you are walking alot. The cool thing is that the liners will still be dry. I recommend them. Cheeks out! 8)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Offline blackhawks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2008, 08:37 AM »
Jigginrod...layering is the key.  I wear the wicking socks and then a good pair of WigWam wool socks.  Like another poster indicated...do not put the wool socks in the dryer.  Your price wasn't bad and they are worth every penny.  I have several pair in case I do a morning and an afternoon outing.  Nothing worse than getting cold while fishing.  good luck.

Offline baldy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2008, 09:11 AM »
i always wear a poly liner and wool over that.  never have cold feet.
i wear wicking shirts too.  makes a big difference for us that are sweating guys.

Offline JigginRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2008, 11:12 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys  ;D i'll just play around with it a lil till i find a combo that works for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.