Author Topic: Going to Nebraska for Christmas  (Read 1422 times)

Offline pjwatson05

• IceShanty Rookie
Going to Nebraska for Christmas
« on: Dec 02, 2008, 10:55 PM »
I am going to Lincoln for Christmas to be with my wifes family, I am from central IL.  I am looking for some good ice while I am there.
I will be there Dec 24 through Dec 28, I will have my Otter Lodge, Marcum LX-3 TC and all my other goodies.
I will also be moving to Lincoln this may with my wife to attend UNL for my bachelors.
If anyone would like to point me to a good spot to fish or take me out for a nice day on the ice, say day after Christmas let me know.
Thanks

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Going to Nebraska for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2008, 06:25 AM »
Ice in Lincoln is just starting to skim over as we speak. Fortunately, there are about a dozen good sized lakes within a half-hour's driving distance from town, all filled with chunky bluegill, crappie, bass and walleye. Several lakes in town and nearby are regularly stocked with put-and-take trout, including two within city limits.

Remember that this IS Nebraska, so what I define a lake is a water body between 100 and 2000 acres. http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/fishing/PublicWaters/PublicWatersMap.aspx is an interactive page with lake descriptions and many contour maps, provided by the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission. Lincoln and the surrounding area are in the Southeast quadrant. Another good Web site to visit is the Nebraska Fish and Game Association's page, http://www.NEFGA.org/forum for more up the minute fishing reports. Personally, I would recommend hitting Holmes in town for the trout and 'gills, and Stagecoach and Wagontrain lakes south of Lincoln for 'gills, crappie and walleye.

I hope this helps...

Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline pjwatson05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2008, 12:30 PM »
Thanks, my in-laws live about a mile from Holmes off of 70th, always wondered what was in that lake.
I have heard of some good crappie fishing at Wagontrain, from a couple people.
I actually just came back from Lincoln on last Sunday, Thanksgiving trip.
Thanks for the info ;D

Offline HuskerPike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2008, 09:37 PM »
You can certainly catch some stocked rainbow trout through the ice at Holmes, along with bluegills, bass, catfish and I believe they put walleye in there as well. Never ice fished it, but know some that have. May be worth a try and it's plenty close to you. Best of luck.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2008, 01:15 AM »
I didn't know Holmes had trout!!!!   Do you need any stamps or anything for trout there.  (THIS ISN'T LIKE TWO RIVERS... IS IT??)  I get up to Royal for trout quite a bit, but Lincoln sure is closer.  What is the minimum size on those trout to keep.
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2008, 04:32 AM »
They're stockers, so there is no size requirement, but there is a 7 fish daily limit. Starting Jan. 1, 2009, that daily limit is bumping up to 8 per person on the designated put-and-take lakes. Bowling Lake out by the airport also has been stocked with trout this fall. Both lakes have a limit of 10 bluegill and total catch-and-release on bass. Check the stocking reports here to see if there's a put-and-take trout pond closer to you: http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/fishing/guides/fishguide/FGstocking.aspv

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2008, 07:24 PM »

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2008, 06:26 AM »
whoops, my bad. Had an extra letter in the address... ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.