Author Topic: ice conditions thread for dec. 1st:  (Read 3102 times)

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
ice conditions thread for dec. 1st:
« on: Dec 01, 2008, 12:53 PM »
Post them here.  I'll start:

Wayne, NE area:  Small ponds frozen, but lakes still showing some water.

I was wondering about Willow Creek....anyone been there yet?  ice?
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline SnipeHntr

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ice conditions thread for dec. 1st:
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2008, 01:50 PM »
Sidney Area, no ice to speak of . . . . Some small ponds were frozen but opened back up with the wind.  Not sure about condidtions a l ittle further north in the panhandle

Offline croplan91

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2008, 03:53 PM »
North of Wakefield, 2 inches from the edge of pond.  No drill, just banged thru with a hammer standing on a tree that fellover a few feet in.
"You're killing me Schmalls, killing me."

Offline fred baumann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2008, 05:06 PM »

i'm not too sure about you 'greater nebraskans' anymore. one day you close the darn interstate because of blizzards / blowing / drifting snow,
 the next day you post temps in the mid-fifties.  all we get here in the southeast corner of the state are a light frost at night then fifties.
i've had my ice fishing gear ready for weeks now. checked, then re-checked my rods so often i may have to respool with new line pretty soon.
fred

Offline benson78

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never surrender
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2008, 07:45 PM »
every little bit of water I drive by is just that water no ice so on thursday i'm heading to North Dakota where there is 5-8" of ice I've had enough I'm driving to the ice.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2008, 10:09 PM »
3" of good clear ice here in Valentine as of Saturday morning.  Nothing above freezing yet.  Forcast near 50+ tomorrow and several daysin the 40s but our long nights in the teens and low 20s will grow some ice.  Temps above freezing will be short lived.  I am planning on getting out this week or weekend sometime.  Will continue to monitor the ice here in town this week and give you all updates for anyone chomping at the bit and wants to head this way ;D

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline DonW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2008, 04:45 PM »
Nothing but skim ice here in the SE corner.

Tight Lines,
DonW

Offline gillslayer22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2008, 11:49 AM »
Finally got out on the ice. Went to smith lake on the 5th. It had 4 inches of good ice. Not sure how long it will last with the warm days. Fishing wasn't great but its a start!

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2008, 03:27 PM »
Drove by Holmes in Lincoln this afternoon. Obviously lots of people "checking" the ice by chucking rocks onto the ice to check thickness. (Of course I did the same...)

Lake was completely covered, and about a 1-1/2" thick on the north side. How much does goose poo contribute to weakening ice? I'm asking, since there had to be over 500 birds sitting out there making a mess. If it stays cold enough overnights this week, I should be out by next weekend.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline HuskerPike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2008, 05:34 PM »
Drilled 3 test holes at Prairie View lake by Bennington,NE (5 mi north of Omaha) and the best I got was 1" on the north side. The majority of the lake was still open, the wind was brutal.
Had to get off the ice, was cracking like no other from underneath me and I didn't feel like getting wet today.

This wind needs to leave so the cold temps can do their thing, I'm going freaking nuts with no fishable ice.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2008, 06:08 PM »
Fished "West Long" on the refuge today.  Ice was mostly 3 1/2".  Not much luck today.  Caught 7-8 small bass, one was maybe over 12". But thats about all the wxcitement I had.  Water was pretty stained. Didnt see anyone on Pelican or Clear. Didnt check the ice there.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Sorny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:03 PM »
checked ice again today and the local pond has 2-2 1/2 inches off good clear ice.  We will be fishing next weekend.

Sorny

Offline midstate08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2008, 09:25 PM »
minimal ice in middle of the state.  wont go for couple weeks (  if cold ) 
By the way anyone have an old fl-8 vexilar for sale in good working condition

Offline pepsiman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2008, 08:09 PM »
I have an old FL-8 Bought a FL 20 this yr. but haven't really decided if I want to sell it or keep to let all the other fools that go with me and won't buy one. At least that way they won't try to steal my fl20 every time I wander off for a few minutes. What were you thinking you wanted to spend on one. This one is in pretty good shape have never had a problem w/ it just got bit by the bug and had to have one of those that zoom in.
gettin the crapps

Offline camps764

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2008, 12:37 PM »
BojiHawk, you're out in Wayne?  Hows the fishing out that way?  My old ladies family lives out there, so I'm out there quite a bit.  Always wanted to sneak off and find some hard water, but not really sure whats out there.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:30 AM »
how is it here?  Not good...no lakes around Wayne :-)

But...there are some good ones short drives...just check the NGPC website for NE corner...let me know if you want any advice...pretty much fished them all the past 10 years or so. 
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2008, 11:05 AM »
Fished Clear Lake on the refuge Sat.  Ice was 5+"  I think you will be able to fish about anywhere by this coming weekend.  Very cold conditions here.  Still -8 right now and Wed. Thurs. Fri. highs in the 20s.  Back to high of -1 and windy on Sat

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline big Monkey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2008, 10:02 PM »
Hey do you guys catch any walleye down there in Nebraska?

Offline Here-Fishy-Fishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:13 AM »
Dec. 16 /// Fremont Lakes #4 had about 5 inches of ice....  we fished near the road next to a laydown in about 11 ft of water and only caught a few small small bass on minnow with nothing on wax worms..

Offline hookemandcookem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work: that annoying time between fishing trips!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2008, 01:45 PM »
Checked a couple lakes in the Kearney area. 4-5 1/2 inches at Cottonmill but only 2-3 inches at Yanney. Anyone heard about Sherman?

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2008, 03:39 PM »

I do...but I'm good. :-)

Offline flatwalter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:44 PM »
Yeh, but after the new year we will have to throw back anything that is big enough to keep. >:( :o >:(

Offline big Monkey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2008, 09:59 PM »

so there's not that many walleye or what. Hey speaking of bass how do those buggers
tayste? I am guessing they have white meat like perch or walleye.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.