Author Topic: Found some ice - No gear  (Read 697 times)

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Found some ice - No gear
« on: Nov 29, 2008, 04:50 PM »
Went to my cabin in Quebec this morning with dad to shovel the driveway, flip the boats and also check the local ice conditions in the area. The drive up was full was beautiful, mountains were all white and snow layered fields from the far as can see were littered with turkey and deer. Wildlife was everywhere until the clouds rolled over. The spud was at the cottage so we finished up at the cottage before checking out some lakes and backbays. The Colounge and Black River were both iced over at both bridges which was very suprising.

Grabbed the chisel and went for a walk to check out a small backbay that branches off of the main river where I usually set my bait straps in the summer. Average depth is about 2 - 8 feet of water. Walked out spud before feet first and made my onto the ice..then a bit further.....and further  ;D ..until the spud went through. I found 2'' of ice rimming the bay and 3''  about 80 yards out. I chisled out a whack load of holes for the heck of it and scooted back to the cottage for some warm pizza green with envy. I was walking on the ice :)

On the way back into the city we stopped in at three small ponds that I fished a few times for perch, bluegills and pike and trout. I was very exited to see the entire surface completely covered in ice  8) Chiseled my way out once again and found 3'' - 4'' - 5''  both black and white ice. If I can find a partner I would like to get back up there sometime this week. It's 120 clicks form Aylmer.

No fishing gear, no camera but I still left with a smile on my face. The waters I have found are all in Zone 25 and again are in the province Quebec. The ice fishing 5 line limit is not in affect and also both brook trout and char that inhabit these waters do not open until the 21st of December.
Andrew

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
Re: Found some ice - No gear
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2008, 06:56 PM »
Wicked Andrew, but ya must have been going nuts with no gear....

Don

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2008, 07:46 PM »
Wicked Andrew, but ya must have been going nuts with no gear....

Don

You betcha. Trying to upload some video from my cell phone but I keep getting a ERROR  :-\
Andrew

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2008, 06:31 PM »
Good on ya Andrew!....not long for ya now bud

TIGHT LINES BRO!
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2008, 07:07 PM »
Plans are firm for this Saturday. Anthony and I are taking off for the day and dunking our lines in around some local waters around our cottage. Whether or not we have safe ice in Ottawa the Fish-Trap will be strapped to the roof! Looks like it's going to be a cold one this weekend out that way!

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caqc0094
Andrew

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.