Author Topic: Tip-Up/Trap Preferance  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
Tip-Up/Trap Preferance
« on: Nov 25, 2008, 03:52 PM »
What style tip-ups do you guys prefer?  I use the frabill thermal one because it keeps the hole from freezing. I notice some guys on here use the older style jack traps and similare designs. just wondering why you would because they freeze easier

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
Re: Tip-Up/Trap Preferance
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2008, 03:55 PM »
I use the Polar thermal extreme tip ups.  They are a lot like the Frabills.  6 fit in a 6 gallon bucket and the have a tackle storage box built in. 

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2008, 03:59 PM »
What style tip-ups do you guys prefer?  I use the frabill thermal one because it keeps the hole from freezing. I notice some guys on here use the older style jack traps and similare designs. just wondering why you would because they freeze easier

with a little effort it is easy to keep your holes clear...i scoop em out every hour or so to keep it from building up too much.gives me something to do if the bite is slow. I do like jack traps and with the superior finish the ice does not stick to the mast.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2008, 04:03 PM »
Around the first of the year in my area you could scoop your holes out every thirty seconds. I like the round thermals too.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2008, 04:06 PM »
I have used the polar type for a while, But started using the Frabill yellow ones like them not the round ones the last couple of years they are a little longer which I liked better. What I use is a piece of carpet with a slit and a small hole in the center to keep the air out. Seems to work ok.

Offline burndoubt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2008, 04:13 PM »
I use heritage lakers. Mainly because thats what I borrowed the first time I went ice fishing, and I like the way they work.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2008, 04:18 PM »
I use a frabill classic, nioce solid wood body, decent height to the flag, and you can see that knob twirling if the fish is still running...the price has jumped up on them this year, as i wanted to add one or two more, but at close to $30 a unit, i think i will hold off, they were only $15 last season

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2008, 04:24 PM »
with a little effort it is easy to keep your holes clear...i scoop em out every hour or so to keep it from building up too much.gives me something to do if the bite is slow. I do like jack traps and with the superior finish the ice does not stick to the mast.
Come on billditrite, I like sitting on my butt relaxing when the fishing is slow.  I use hole covers or my polar extreme tip ups and my strike sensor so I don't have to worry about my tip ups until the flag goes up. 

Offline swirusek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2008, 04:39 PM »
I use the Polar thermal extreme tip ups.  They are a lot like the Frabills.  6 fit in a 6 gallon bucket and the have a tackle storage box built in. 
I have the same tipups with little siren mod on ( http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=62028.0 ) and really like them but when it is heavy snowing it is pain in the rear to find them under the snow so for that i have 2nd set of Allagash tipups

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2008, 06:08 PM »
I've had about 3 frabill classics for about two years and they're alright, but little things keep breaking. Like the flag broke off of one, the spool came loose on another so the little thing wouldn't spin if a fish tood the bait, and numerous other small things. I've had some polar tipups which have been workin alrite and not causing near as much trouble as the frabills. But this year I decided up upgrade and bought some jack traps. Haven't had a chance to use them but they are hands down the most well-built tip-ups i've ever seen. I like the fact that their flags are raised up a bit above the snow and ice, so i don't have to worry about having a tip-up being snowed in.

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2008, 06:14 PM »
3 beaver dams and I ordered a hook-set-tipup online last week to try out.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2008, 06:31 PM »
icejunky for 30 bones take a look at the beaver dams,  so yeah its beaver dams for me but i also have some cheap ones that i also like and don't even remember who the manufacturer is.

Offline Icecracka46

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My favorite fishing partner
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2008, 06:36 PM »
I like Jack traps.They are like a wel built piece of furniture.But i have numerous different types and it will take some time to have a full line of jack traps.

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2008, 07:02 PM »
Beaver Dams all the way!!!

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2008, 07:16 PM »
can't go wrong with the frabill thermals... for portability and shallow fishing prowess.

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2008, 07:16 PM »
Jack Traps.. doesnt take too much effort to clean out the hole every now and then

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2008, 07:25 PM »
The arctic warrior

Here in mass we gat a lot of days over 30 degrees so its not a big deal keeping the hole clean and hearing the drag scream on a small little pole is a lot of fun !
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2008, 07:48 PM »
That looks cool! where do you buy those?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2008, 08:58 PM »
The arctic warrior

not really a fan of those myself, I think it;s the metal piece you have to strap on your rod, with velcro, not to mention it is super sensative, I set mine off my self a dozen times

Offline Rob Wasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Musky Baby!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2008, 10:06 PM »
I guess when it comes to what kind of tip-ups a person uses it all boils down to two things; personal preference and performance.  I target muskies through the ice and after years of trying several different types and styles of tip-ups I found that the Frabill Bigfoot tip-up is by far the most effective I've ever used.  Every tip-up has it it's place.  The key features that made the decision for me were the large capacity horizontal spool, the dual setting flag trip (one for smaller bait, more sensitive) and (one for larger bait or high winds) and solid construction.  Don't get me wrong the Jack Traps and similar designed tip-ups have their place in the ice fishing world.  Especially Jack Traps, they are very well built and function great in the elements.  However, it's been my experience that the tip-ups designed with vertical running spools tend to cause added tension when a fish turns in a direction that's not in line with the spool that I personally have seen time and time again.  With the Frabill Bigfoot, the spool is positioned horizontally so when the fish turns in the water, the spool is always in line with it no matter which way the fish goes.  That is absolutely critical for me.  Since I made the switch to the Bigfoot my catches have doubled.  I also use the round insulated Frabill on those extremely cold and windy days.  Same concept, horizontal spool with insulation to keep your holes clean.  Their only draw back is a smaller spool and shorter shaft.  Now with Strikemaster's new hole water pump.  It's powered by a small 12 volt battery that re-circulates the water in the hole to keep it clear.  If you haven't seen them yet, by all means check them out.  They are awesome!           
Muskies...All other fish are just bait!

Offline NYFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is not only a sport, but a Dedication
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2008, 04:29 AM »
Ive been using the heritage lakers for about 8 years now and I don't believe they make a more durable tip-up.  I target lake trout, walleye, and pike.  When using bigger baits I just put a close-pin over the gate and that keeps the flag from tripping.  Also i have never had one wind flag.  Here are a few other pros and cons:
Pros: They hold a lot of line for deep water lakers, flags stand tall and easily visible from far away.
Cons: Springs need to be replaced yearly, expensive, heavy, plastic spools(older ones had the metal spools)

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2008, 04:44 AM »
I heard a guy comment that he felt the flat traps, with the horizontal spool get fewer hits. I don't buy it. I did buy a couple more flat traps though.     

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2008, 05:30 AM »
Beaver Dams for me.  I drive by the factory daily on my way to and from work.  If you treat them decent they will last a lifetime which cant be said about many things now days.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline SeaDog1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2008, 07:19 AM »
Guess the choice of tip-up/trap/dead-stick/slammer is up to the fisherman and what works best for him.
Can't see how claiming that one type or other can out fish another. ??? ??? ???

Tip-up/trap/dead-stick/slammer sit on top of ice, line goes down hole with bait, fish sees/smells bait, fish eats bait, fish gets hooked. Right?  ??? ??? ???

Fish can't read or have preferences over old reliables or designer ice-fishing rigs. :-\
Only fishermen have the undaunted preception that one rig works better than another and will argue to no lenght the pros and cons of each. Reality IS, THE FISH DON'T CARE!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D "FEED ME!!" is their only want!  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Knowing where and when to fish (even for targeted species) with a little luck thrown in, is really the magic key to success! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Let's all hope this years season is better than last!
Luck to ALL!!!! ;D ;D ;D
SeaDog1

Offline crappiekid24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 26, 2008, 10:33 AM »
I use Frabill Pro Therms and Beaver Dams.

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 26, 2008, 11:05 AM »
Got 2 arctic tip ups, 2 windlass and The Death Trap (slammeresque tip up i built) When i get all my little cousins out they have a ball chasing flags all day.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Nov 26, 2008, 12:31 PM »
Around the first of the year in my area you could scoop your holes out every thirty seconds. I like the round thermals too.

Around here it would be every 3 seconds!!!  ;D

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2008, 01:05 PM »
frabill......... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 26, 2008, 01:12 PM »
and these when its really cold.......... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline BCice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 27, 2008, 05:13 AM »
 I'm with the crowd that believes that each device has its day. Some days Windlass tips shine, others are better for Beaver dams, and I use Slammers ALOT. Got some home made Arctic Warrior type dead stick/tip downs I catch a lot of fish on, too. Just depends on the situation and conditions.
 For instance, a lake I fish has a good population of crappies and the occasional walleye. Both can be notorious light biters and the crappies are soft mouthed too. Great place for the windlass or tip/downs and dead sticks.
 Another lake I fish has mostly pike & a few trout mixed in. Time to break out the Slammers or maybe the Beaver Dams (for deep lakers,too) depending on conditions. Or if the perch are biting light same as the crappies, especially if there's walleye around, also.
 Each device has it's strengths and weaknesses so you don't want to limit yourself.

Ron

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.