Author Topic: Finger Lake thickness???  (Read 1005 times)

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
Finger Lake thickness???
« on: Nov 24, 2008, 05:31 PM »
Has anyone been to finger lake recently?   I'm thinking about going tommorrow and try my luck, I'd really like to drive my truck on the ice if I can.  Any reports on ice thickness would be appreciated and finger lake fishing tips won't hurt either???
U give a man a fish, u feed him for a day....I teach a man to fish.HE CATCHES ALL THE FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Salmonman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Finger Lake thickness???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2008, 10:21 PM »
I was there yesterday. Ice is solid 13", maybe a little more in some places. People driving all over the lake. Plenty safe to drive on. Fishing sucked for me but sounds like lot's of small landlocked salmon and rainbows. Hopefully I can find the big CHAR in there next time. Good luck

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2008, 12:15 PM »
Second SalomnMan's report.  As of sat there was 13-15" ice and cars were all over the place.  The weekend before I actually saw a truck with a snowmachine on a trailer drive on the ice to pick up a dead snowmachine.  They loaded it on the trailer (now with 2 machines) and drove off the ice.  I had my camera rady cuz I though for sure they were going through.  Nope!  Guess its good to drive on!  (Although I like to have my dog pull my sled out for me!)

Did ok on char in about 20 fow with herring on jigs.  Best was a 27" fatty two weeks ago.  Couple quick shots and back down he went!  Go get him (but let him go)!!

Good luck everyone!

Jake

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2008, 02:35 PM »
Thanks guys I guess I'll be going today I'll let you know how it was.
U give a man a fish, u feed him for a day....I teach a man to fish.HE CATCHES ALL THE FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2008, 11:09 AM »
Well we had no problem driving on the lake, the fishing was good for fish sticks but not for much more.  We caught at least 20 coho in the 4-6in range and one dolly at a wopping 9 inches!!!!   I forgot my underwater camera and vexlar so we had to go at it caveman style.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2008, 12:51 PM »
Well we had no problem driving on the lake, the fishing was good for fish sticks but not for much more.  We caught at least 20 coho in the 4-6in range and one dolly at a wopping 9 inches!!!!   I forgot my underwater camera and vexlar so we had to go at it caveman style.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.