The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: amsoil 1oo-1 mix  (Read 3707 times)

Offline bossman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • im all about settin hooks
amsoil 1oo-1 mix
« on: Nov 10, 2008, 09:31 AM »
hey guys,i picked up a bottle of the amsoil saber, mixed it with fresh fuel and started my jiffy with it,,after a few minutes its was running like a dream,i couldn't believe how nice it ran,and i mixed it at 80-1,,but are you guys sure that this stuff has enough lube at 80-1  jiffy calls for 24-1 as you all know,i wouldn't want to blowup 2 three year old augers,,I've got a jiffy 10 inch 3hp and a jiffy 6 inch 2hp,,I only tried it in the 2hp,but ran amazingly,,hope she hold up OK
Its all about the good times.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: amsoil 1oo-1 mix
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2008, 09:39 AM »
You can run it up to 100:1 and there are guys who do that and havent had problems.  To error on the side of caution i mixed mine at 75:1 or 80:1 last winter and didnt have any problems.  Strikemaster just bumped their ratio from 24:1 to 40:1 and i would imagine some of the other small engines are gonna start getting leaner now as well.

Keep in mind when Jiffy is calling for 24:1 they are using conventional oil and not synthetic oil like Amsoil Saber is.  The amsoil has more additives then your conventional oil so that it can run leaner and not cause problems.  It is becoming more common to see guys running synthetic oils in their augers now and for the most part a lot have nothing but good things to say about it.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2008, 10:13 AM »
I usually run it around 70:1 or so. 80:1 is no problem either. The tecumseh recommended 24:1 ratio is mainly for break-in and for use with straight dino oils. Saber is a full synth and works very well at leaner mix ratios.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2008, 10:52 AM »
I run (have for 6 years) the amsoil 100:1 synthetic in my Jiffy at 50:1.  Still a huge benefit over the 24:1 old fashioned oils but gives me a little more safety than the 100:1, on the lube side of things.
As a side note - you will get way less carbon buildup on the internal engine parts and way less fouling on the sparkplug and way less smoke from the exhaust.  Highly recommended IMO

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2008, 11:44 AM »
Great stuff, I've been using it in my Nils Master for a few years now and will never go back...

Offline Nozzlejocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin...where God goes to relax!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2008, 12:21 PM »
You won't find a better 2 cycle oil in my opinion.  I've used it 100:1 for years in all my stuff with never a problem.  The nicest part is that I only have one formula of mixed gas now, so there is no extra labeling or guessing when it comes time to fill up the tanks.  Many people are afraid or doubtbul of the synthetics but they are the way of the future.  The reason you can go so thin is that the Amsoil has much better lubricating properties than traditional.  I use it in all my vehicles as well (the 5w-30) and have found it to be just as good. 

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2008, 01:35 PM »
The 100:1 may be OK if you are sure of your 2-cycle engine design.  I understand that some (older ones no doubt) 2-cycle engines use bushing style bearings in stead of roller bearings.  They say the bushing style bearings need the oil of the "richer" mixes like 16 or 24 to 1.  Not sure how valid that point is.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2008, 01:40 PM »
I use Amsoil Saber in all my 2 strokes mixed 80:1
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2008, 01:45 PM »
The 100:1 may be OK if you are sure of your 2-cycle engine design.  I understand that some (older ones no doubt) 2-cycle engines use bushing style bearings in stead of roller bearings.  They say the bushing style bearings need the oil of the "richer" mixes like 16 or 24 to 1.  Not sure how valid that point is.

Thats true to some extent. I have a 1958 18hp Evinrude which has automotive like bearings. Newer outboards have roller or ball bearings. Also must take into count the oil way back in the 50s, 60s and 70s wasn't what it is today, especially earlier in years. I'm willing to bet all but the real old augers have radial bearings in them. The main concern though and the reason for the richer mix years ago was oil quality or dino oil which isn't a slippery as a full synthetics of today.

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2008, 02:20 PM »
i use it in my boat and i love it.  it is good stuff.  it is actually cheaper too because you dont have to use as much.

eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline InSearchOfPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2008, 03:52 PM »
My amsoil dealer told me if I blew up my new nils running saber at 100:1, he would buy me a new one.  lol...not sure if he really would, but it was nice to hear.  ;D

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2008, 08:58 PM »
good stuff... 100:1 saber is the ticket

Offline Wicked_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it aint worth doin -- It aint worth doin right
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2008, 10:16 PM »
I run it 100:1 in every 2 stroke I own.  No more 3 cans of different mixes laying around.

Offline J Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2008, 01:07 PM »
Do you guys reccommend powder pillows or a bottle? I only mix  gallon at a time.
thanks,
J.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2008, 01:39 PM »
I buy it by the quart and measure it out. Cheaper by the quart also.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2008, 04:29 PM »
I use about 1 gallon winter in my auger, and about 2 gallons in the summer for all other 2 strokes, i buy the pillows as its convenient or my wife who isnt as mechanically inclined and i dont need to explain more than add to the full 1 gallon container and shake :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.