Author Topic: SnoSuit Winterwear  (Read 6286 times)

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
SnoSuit Winterwear
« on: Nov 05, 2008, 06:16 PM »
Has anybody have one of these?  Would you recommend it?

check out there site:

http://www.snosuit.com/arctic/

They look really good and are supposed to stand up to almost anything.  I have noticed that the members of In-Fisherman Magazine wear this line exclusively, as well as other big names such as Brian 'Bro' Brosdahl.

What do you think?

$249 for bibs and $249 for jacket.

shawno  8)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: SnoSuit Winterwear
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2008, 03:56 PM »
Pretty pricey. I bought Cabela's Trans Alaska for $259. I can't imagine needing anything more.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2008, 03:22 PM »
I bought Cabela's Trans Alaska for $259

How do you like the Suit?  I was looking at that one, but wasn't sure.

Offline drifter106

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2008, 12:09 AM »
Hello,

Have been following and looking into something for cold weather fishing out of a boat AND ice fishing...with a lot of emphasis on the Arctic Armour (here) I am curious as to why you would opt for something else?  Please advise for I am about ready to pull the plug and don't want to have any second guessing about whether I purchased the right outfit.

regards,

drifter
Remember, what is common knowledge to some is a revelation to others.

All men are equal in the eyes of fish
Edit/Delete Message

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2008, 05:17 AM »
Go somewhere and look at the different stuff and try it on.  I think a lot of the recommendations on clothing are personal preferences.  We all "feel" differently about the cold and have different thresholds of comfort.

Offline drifter106

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2008, 02:25 AM »
Go somewhere and look at the different stuff and try it on.  I think a lot of the recommendations on clothing are personal preferences.  We all "feel" differently about the cold and have different thresholds of comfort.

I agree but due to my "REMOTE" location all I have to go on is what people recommend and what I can find on the web.  Nearest location would be at least a 10 hr drive :o...not very cost effective...
Remember, what is common knowledge to some is a revelation to others.

All men are equal in the eyes of fish
Edit/Delete Message

Offline Rainbow1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2008, 02:59 AM »
Check out Arctic Armor by IDI or Ice Armor by the Clam Corp.

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2008, 04:49 PM »
Check out arctic shield stuff. Its amazing stuff. Its got some kind of emergency blanket kind of stuff in it to reflect your body heat back and its very light and wind proof. You will get a little wet after prolonged periods of sitting in water but there should be no reason to sit in the water when its below freezing! I have the bibs and they are really warm. If you sit you stay warmer for longer and if you start getting cold ( its bound to happen) you go for a quick run to get the blood pumping and then your radiant heat gets reflected back and you end up being really toasty!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2008, 04:31 PM »
How do you like the Suit?  I was looking at that one, but wasn't sure.

Awesome product. I liked the Trans Alaska boots so much, i felt I couldn't go wrong. Very comfortable..extremely durable.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2008, 04:55 PM »
Be careful of putting too much stock on what the guys from In-Fisherman, or Brian Brosdahl are wearing.  Generally, they are wearing it because the got it free or are paid to wear it.  Look on-line for real testimonials from Joe Six-Pack and Joe the Plumber.  They'll tell you if it's worth the money. The guys here have more credibility.  I'm not saying that any of those products are good or bad.  Or that the guys wearing it in the advertisements aren't credible.  Just understand why they put it on.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2008, 08:31 PM »
Well I broke down and purchased one of these suits this year and I tried out yesterday for the first time and all I can say is " WOW ".  Granted it wasn't too cold out ( 25F ) but I was so incredibly warm that I didn't even bother to setup my portable shack.  I can't wait until we get some real cold weather to try it out.  Chris Leonard, the owner of SnoSuit, is a great person to deal with as well and he went out of his way to answer every question I could ask about his product.

Check out this video about the product if you are interested.

http://www.idofishing.com/videos/viewvid.php/Number/622635/snosuit-performance-winterwear

shawno  8)

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2008, 12:12 PM »
Well I broke down and purchased one of these suits this year and I tried out yesterday for the first time and all I can say is " WOW ".  Granted it wasn't too cold out ( 25F ) but I was so incredibly warm that I didn't even bother to setup my portable shack.  I can't wait until we get some real cold weather to try it out.  Chris Leonard, the owner of SnoSuit, is a great person to deal with as well and he went out of his way to answer every question I could ask about his product.

Check out this video about the product if you are interested.

http://www.idofishing.com/videos/viewvid.php/Number/622635/snosuit-performance-winterwear

That the kind of endorsement I'm talking about!!!
shawno  8)

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2008, 04:41 PM »
i bought the sno suit last season....youll never by anything else!  I bought the bibs and jacket(black) and they kept me very warm without under armor.  all the features, padded knees & butt, waterproof fabric, pockets and zippered air vents are well thought out.  perfect if you fish 8+ hours a day or outside the shanty alot.  the jacket is so cool, i wear it as a winter coat.  i did notice the suit is a bit heavy...but the trade off is warmth! now i need boots to keep up with my sno suit.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2008, 08:34 PM »
Glad to hear the positive review bret!!

I have used it a couple of times now and can't believe how warm it is.  Like bret says, it is a little on the heavy side, but that is a small price to pay to be warm all day long...if you really wanted too...you could remove the neoprene padding from the seat area and the knees, I 'm sure that would free up a bit of weight.

shawno  8)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2009, 10:20 PM »
I own both the Trans Alaskan suit (and boots) and the IDI Arctic Armor (plus).
I also have some regular cabelas thinsulate gortex bibs and various coats, mostly Columbia brand.

The Trans Alaskan suit is the warmest outfit I have.  I really like the suspenders inside to help
hold them up.  The exterior material is soft, and a bit weak in the high wear areas.  I prefer permanently
attached hoods these days.  They are warmer.  I wish this suit had pit-zip vents.  The neoprene cuffs I
hate.  My arms get too hot and sweat. 

I got sucked into the IDI craze last year.  It is a very warm outfit (coat and bibs).  The elastic waist cord
came undone on one side, and I had to fish it back, and reattach it.  One of the plastic bib clips broke
(the company sent me a replacement but I had to cut/sew it back into place).  Sizing is a bit tricky with
these.  I usually wear large coats, and so I ordered a large.  It is okay, but I wish it had more room for
layering.  I think the xlarge would have been way too large.  Based on inseam/waist sizes, I ordered
Medium.  These are snug.  I usually wear Under Armor long johns under the bibs.  They are tight in the
thighs.  Larges would have been too large.  General overall quality of construction/workmanship is
disappointing for all of the hype.  They are warm, and I wear them when it's not below 15-20 deg f. or
when I know I will be active outside or have shelter (it's easier to remove a coat than half of the Trans Alaskan
but I do that too).  The coat hangs down so it helps keep your rear warm/dry.  The knees are heavily padded (nice).  One thing I really don't like about the IDI stuff is that (in my case anyway) a lot of
moisture builds up inside.  The inside of the bibs (legs especially around the bottom) are usually damp when I take them off after wearing them all day. 

When it's not to cold, I wear the gortex bibs and coats, and this does just fine in most instances.

I have read good things about Snosuit, but I have some gear that needs to wear out before I replace it.
Now that Snosuit has been bought by Frabil, it will be interesting to hear if the quality continues.  I hope so.

I think if one dresses wisely, with the appropriate layers (a good base layer) and some decent insulating layers,
and then does not get wet, and stays vented if active and sweating, you can stay comfortable in a wide range of
temps and conditions without spending $500 plus.  But boy do those Snosuits look nice.

Here it is early August, and I am shopping/reviewing winter gear.  I need a life.

MD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.