The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: say hello to my new fishing partner!  (Read 4547 times)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
say hello to my new fishing partner!
« on: Oct 27, 2008, 06:09 PM »

Offline IcedODA

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: say hello to my new fishing partner!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2008, 06:12 PM »
Sweet. I'll be getting a flasher later this season.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2008, 06:20 PM »
cool ... nice toy...howd ya other fishing partner take it ?????????? :laugh: :tipup:

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2008, 07:40 PM »
Congrats. I recall when I used to fish "blind". Never again. Keeps Dogg from calling ya a "caveman" too.  ;D
                                                            LT
                                                            Iceshanty Moderator  :tipup:

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2008, 07:43 PM »
  Sweet! Enjoy the new toy.

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2008, 08:36 PM »
OHHHH yeah..You made the same mistake I did last year. ordered your new flasher a month early.. You'll be dipping that new transducer in every drink o water you can find till hard water comes. You will catch way more fish when the ice comes enjoy.

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline bowhuntken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2008, 08:51 PM »
when i got my first flasher i had it dangling of a dock in august catching tiny bluegill
it was great just so i could get the hang of it        enjoy your new toy
usmc 1989-1993

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2008, 09:05 PM »
Congrats!!  I got mine over the summer.  It's kewl to put the goldfish in the toilet tank and drop the 'ducer in to test it!

:icefish:

Jeff

Offline lingrus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2008, 09:19 PM »
Nice toy.  I am planning on adding a new fish shack to my gear.  I got an underwater camera last summer.  Temperature in Greybull this AM was 17 degrees. :)

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2008, 09:25 PM »
Nice toy.  I am planning on adding a new fish shack to my gear.  I got an underwater camera last summer.  Temperature in Greybull this AM was 17 degrees. :)
wow... can't believe it... i just left greybull this morning! was forced over from gillette last week (BNSF) and was released yesterday... next time they put me over there i'll drop you a PM. btw, lived at the sage motel for a week! lol

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2008, 09:42 PM »
you even got the dual transducer one. There are times that I wish my 18 had that. Trust me you will have the best time with your toy. What will happen is you will take someone fishing with you and let them try it and after about a minute you will want it back. Just fair warning. Its like playing a video game. Good luck with it.

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2008, 12:13 AM »
thats for sure bohman..Hows the Casper FD treating you. Were really hoping for a new mayor come november!!!

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2008, 08:54 AM »
thats for sure bohman..Hows the Casper FD treating you. Were really hoping for a new mayor come november!!!
it's been awhile since i came through sheridan and i noticed many kinskey for mayor signs which really surprised me... when i lived there kinskey was a bad word a few months after he took office!  :laugh:

Offline Bigred1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2008, 09:46 AM »
Congratulations on buying the best.  My vex is just an FL8se but I have had it for four years and not a single problem, heck the battery is still original.  I do suggest that you unplug the battery when not using the flasher because the battery gauge will draw some current and if left over a long period of time will ruin your battery.

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2008, 07:48 PM »

Its really good. Hopefully things will get worked out with your department and city soon. Getting ready for the combat challenge worlds in veags in two weeks and after thats done its all ice fishing.  Cant wait for the ice.......

Take care

Bill

Offline lingrus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gambooler
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2008, 09:07 PM »
I live about a block and a half from the Sage.  That's the one the police visit about every other day.  Any connection with you? :)  Let me know when you are going to be over here.  I am retired and either home or hunting or fishing.  (or going to the doctor >:()

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Gambooler
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2008, 10:42 PM »
I live about a block and a half from the Sage.  That's the one the police visit about every other day.  Any connection with you? :)  Let me know when you are going to be over here.  I am retired and either home or hunting or fishing.  (or going to the doctor >:()
LOL... now that you mention it, there was a cop there prior to my last trip to casper... i thought he has just pulled over a speeder or something in our parking lot... yeah if i make it back, i'll drop you a PM... hope all is well with the doc lately!

Offline bohman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2008, 11:56 PM »
Hey Gambler do you work for therailroad, one of my friends is an engineer with I think BNSF. His name is Doug Burkhart. Long shot but Imaybe you know him?

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #18 on: Oct 30, 2008, 12:07 AM »
Christmas came early at your place!!!   Have fun and catch MORE fish!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2008, 09:28 AM »
Hey Gambler do you work for therailroad, one of my friends is an engineer with I think BNSF. His name is Doug Burkhart. Long shot but Imaybe you know him?
yes i do... not personally but i do know him... he went by us at the kane siding last week on my way to laurel i believe. he was in an engineer class a couple ahead of me.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2008, 09:33 AM »
Congratulations on buying the best.  My vex is just an FL8se but I have had it for four years and not a single problem, heck the battery is still original.  I do suggest that you unplug the battery when not using the flasher because the battery gauge will draw some current and if left over a long period of time will ruin your battery.
there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get to the main battery compartment so i went back to the "manual"!!! lol it specifically says as long as the master switch is off there shouldn't be any draining. (there is a main switch to the power and then the dial switch on the face to turn on/off). must be setup different than your FL8se?

Offline Bigred1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 30, 2008, 06:14 PM »
yeah, Gambooler it is.  It`s allot nicer unit.  Mine doesn't have a master switch or most of the bells and whistles.  Enjoy it and it will make catching fish easier than before.

Offline BigZee44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 30, 2008, 08:34 PM »
Since we are talking flashers i have a question.  I have a Matrix model hummingbird depth finder for my boat that has a flasher setting along with a a gps hook up.  I saw this year that hummingbird is making ice fishing transducers.  Needless to say im excited to convert this model to a flasher for only the price of a transducer.

My question is how would any of you guys mount it.  I was thinking of building a little wooden housing that i could mount the unit and gps receiver on and have some room for the battery.  I thought maybe someone on here has done done something similar or would have a suggestion.

I hate how warm it is right now:(

ZAck

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 30, 2008, 08:41 PM »
Since we are talking flashers i have a question.  I have a Matrix model hummingbird depth finder for my boat that has a flasher setting along with a a gps hook up.  I saw this year that hummingbird is making ice fishing transducers.  Needless to say im excited to convert this model to a flasher for only the price of a transducer.

My question is how would any of you guys mount it.  I was thinking of building a little wooden housing that i could mount the unit and gps receiver on and have some room for the battery.  I thought maybe someone on here has done done something similar or would have a suggestion.

I hate how warm it is right now:(

ZAck
could you use a Genz Blue Box? http://www.bobbershopfishing.com/electronics/vexilar/genz_box.html

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 30, 2008, 10:07 PM »
I have been looking at a new fish finder. I currently use a Lowrance X85 that has to be 12-13 yrs old it still works fine, the only thing I have ever had to do is replace the transducer every few years. I use it in the boat and on the ice and have no complaints other than the screen is getting quite scratched up. I have been looking at flashers as well as a X-125. What was your reason for choosing the Vex over the Marcum? How/Why is a flasher better than a LCD in your opinion?

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 30, 2008, 10:31 PM »
I have been looking at a new fish finder. I currently use a Lowrance X85 that has to be 12-13 yrs old it still works fine, the only thing I have ever had to do is replace the transducer every few years. I use it in the boat and on the ice and have no complaints other than the screen is getting quite scratched up. I have been looking at flashers as well as a X-125. What was your reason for choosing the Vex over the Marcum? How/Why is a flasher better than a LCD in your opinion?
wow... i'm not a salesman for vex or marcum but in loose generalities... quality, they've been around for a very long time, industry leader, i've read a lot of ice fishing articles by dave genz, people i've spoken to are very happy with their vex units, and then i read through a ton of threads in the 'electronic' forum here... mostly personal preference. and for looking straight down the hole, i like a flasher over a LCD, again a personal choice. although many are marcum fans as well, i really doubt you can go to far wrong with either company... hummingbird now makes ice units as well, give them a look too and see what you think and how each appeals or not to you...

Offline Bigred1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 31, 2008, 09:05 AM »
I have both a vex and a Lowrance X68c.  I use the 68 in flasher mode on the ice and finder mode on open water.  Looking down with a flasher is the only way to go.  When ice fishing it gives you an idea as to the distance out from your jig the fish is and this can be a real bonus when the fish are getting turned off buy your bait or jigging style.
The vex seems to separate items better and have less delay than the 68.  That said I like both units allot and between the kids and I they both stay busy during the winter.

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #27 on: Oct 31, 2008, 11:57 AM »

One technique I use that makes my normal graph (Lowrance x125) such a valuable tool is when I'm fishing for rainbows, browns or lakers I will sometimes set my graph in a distant hole with my second rod. I make sure the fish alarm is on, turn the display speed down and leave it set while I jig another hole (which is usually at a different depth). When the fish alarm sounds I can run to the graph, see where the fish came through (because it's still on the screen), adjust, start jigging and many times catch the fish.

Again, that's just trout fishing and usually in a little deeper water. Never used a flasher. The ability to know how far a fish is from your jig sounds pretty cool.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #28 on: Oct 31, 2008, 12:40 PM »

BigZee,  What you are proposing may be possible, but I'm not sure you'd want to do it.  The LCD on your matrix isn't made for cold weather and will more than likely be very slow and draw a large amount of power when in cold weather(sub freezing temps).  The Poling interval is much slower than any of the vertical fish finders.  It will probably work mind you, but it will be a significant amount of work to get it set up for a unit that will show the bottom and be slow to respond while fishing....

If you don't want to invest a bunch in a fish finder for Ice season, look at a Showdown, a Vexilar FL-8 model, or a Marcum VX-1 or LX-1.  Most can be found on Ebay for under or right at 200 bucks and you don't have to jury rig anything...

What ever you do I hope it helps your fishing!!!  ;)

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 07, 2008, 08:11 PM »
awsome I just got my second one the other day also!!  FISH-ON
Live Free Or Die.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.