Author Topic: lowarnce fish lo-k-tor lfp-250?  (Read 4196 times)

Offline whitebassbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fishing rules, let there be ice !!!!
lowarnce fish lo-k-tor lfp-250?
« on: Jan 23, 2004, 03:32 PM »
any one got 1 of these? and are they good?

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
Re:lowarnce fish lo-k-tor lfp-250?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2004, 05:42 PM »
Whitebassbenny,

Man does that pic bring back memories.  I have owned two 250s.  One was the LFP model with the battery pack, and one was the LFG model that had a gimbal bracket for mounting in a boat.  They are great units.  The technology hasn't changed in 47 years from the first "green box" to the Vexilar fl18.  The Vex has more depth scales, but works exactly the same as the LFP250.  I always liked the alarm too.

I got my first one back in '79.  I had to retire it in '90, and went with a Lowrance LCD.  If mine was still in working order, I'd probably never have gotten another fishfinder.

How much did you have to give for that thing?  It sure looks to be in great shape.  You don't happen to have a supply of them do ya?"

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2004, 11:07 PM »
     I have the older model (green box) which is giving away my age,but I have tried it for ice fishing and I found it doesn't have the sensitivity that I would like with a small jig,etc.
   It's ok in shallow water but at 30' you can't see your lure(if you're using a small jig).also it does'nt have the separation to pick out fish close to the bottom.
  Having said that -it's better than nothing if that's all you have, then go with it and I'm sure you will enjoy it just don't compare it to an fl18 or the newer models.
    Mine has been retired in favor of an lcd ,but I still take it out once in a while for old times sake and who's to say maybe mine is weak now and yours may be more more powerful.
  Have fun with it anyway ,because that's what it's all about.

pa ice man

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2004, 02:06 PM »
I have the 150 looks the same oley one knobe works good

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2004, 12:10 PM »
I've got an lfp 300 "little green box" and I agree with Fishrmn. I've taken it out with much anticipation and more or less just stared at the orange light for top and bottom. Unless I use a pretty big jig, it doesn't see it. Now, I could be using it incorrectly and not have the adjustments quite right, but I swear I've tried everything. I got it on ebay for about 35 bucks, so it's no big loss. I'll resell it to somebody else unless somebody has any suggestions. Good luck.

bugman-Greg

Re: lowarnce fish lo-k-tor lfp-250?
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2004, 11:28 AM »
I got one from a friend last year and I am still trying to figuar it out, I may just give it to a friend and but a FL-18

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: lowarnce fish lo-k-tor lfp-250?
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2004, 11:02 PM »
Tried the FL-18 this weekend and boy is that thing slick. I love the zoom and the ability to watch the fish come up to my lure in real time. You can anticipate the bite and see if the way you're jigging is spooking the fish or attracting them. Way cool. I wish I had the cash to plunk down for one. Start saving.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.