Author Topic: homemade ice shanty  (Read 5907 times)

Offline yonderfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
homemade ice shanty
« on: Oct 23, 2008, 01:08 PM »
I read the post about using shrink wrap to make a shanty and it got me thinking...anybody ever thought about using stretch wrap off a roll ? I know it isnt ideal but just in the wanderings of a bored mind I imagined making a frame out of 1x4's and wrapping it with stretch wrap and then possibly coating it with something like...roof coating, etc. Seems like if the wrap had enough layers and then coated with something to protect it and help keep it together it could work. The only problem I can see is an opening for a door, but with a little imagination that could be solved. Not that I am planning to build one like this but as a suggestion of possibility to anybody experimenting with a design or to see if anybody has ever tried it before. It should be kinda light and cheap to make. The biggest hurdle to people wanting to build their own is the cost of available material to cover a frame with. If you have ever seen and worked with pallets of boxes covered thickly with the stuff you might see some potential as well.

Offline WANNABFISHIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: homemade ice shanty
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2008, 01:18 PM »
I read the post about using shrink wrap to make a shanty and it got me thinking...anybody ever thought about using stretch wrap off a roll ? I know it isnt ideal but just in the wanderings of a bored mind I imagined making a frame out of 1x4's and wrapping it with stretch wrap and then possibly coating it with something like...roof coating, etc. Seems like if the wrap had enough layers and then coated with something to protect it and help keep it together it could work. The only problem I can see is an opening for a door, but with a little imagination that could be solved. Not that I am planning to build one like this but as a suggestion of possibility to anybody experimenting with a design or to see if anybody has ever tried it before. It should be kinda light and cheap to make. The biggest hurdle to people wanting to build their own is the cost of available material to cover a frame with. If you have ever seen and worked with pallets of boxes covered thickly with the stuff you might see some potential as well.
I've used the stretch wrap that comes on a roll for an ice shack before.  Worked really good the only downside was you could through it. We didnt coat it with anything and it lasted a good 4 or 5 years before we had to add some more over the top of it.  We framed the whole shack and put all the door and windows in.  Then we wrapped the whole thing with about 7 or 8 layers.  Then put strapping around the door and windows and on every other stud.  Then just cut out the openings for door and windows.  This was actually extremely strong and lightweight, it really surprised us.

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2008, 07:37 AM »
good idea i work with it at my job all day long and it holds boxes on pallets like breeze and these pallets are hundreds of pounds.would be a cheap way of making a shanty what about heat though would that do anything 2 it?
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2008, 07:14 PM »
good idea i work with it at my job all day long and it holds boxes on pallets like breeze and these pallets are hundreds of pounds.would be a cheap way of making a shanty what about heat though would that do anything 2 it?

i work with it too. i just don't put enough on an order  ;D  i'm just trying make the shippers job more interesting :D

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2008, 07:56 PM »
a friend of mine built a new shack last year and put that shrink wrap for boats on the outside held up good last year.

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2008, 10:38 AM »
this is a neat idea.....id like to see some pics of these
eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2008, 11:54 AM »
dont forget to take into account that this stuff shrinks with heat applied so in the summer you might tighten stuff to where your doors dont work well, or bow your support walls. I would consider using something like heat shrink wrap for a boat......the blue stuff is really strong and will last a long time. easy to work with and is large enough to probably wrap without much seams.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2008, 12:26 PM »
on his he just pulled it tight and did not shrink it.  when they shrink it on a boat the use propane torch set up i don't think the summer sun would be enough to shrink it but i could be wrong about that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.