The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Snakehead fish  (Read 26658 times)

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
Snakehead fish
« on: Oct 21, 2008, 08:58 AM »
I am not sure if many of you have been watching Fishzilla, on the ntgeo channel.  A fish common to Thailand has been illegally introduced
to the Potomac watershed.  This fish has the head of a snake, and the tail of a Burbot.  But it has teeth similar to a saltwater fish.  It
has been spawning, and producing young now in the Potomac watershed, and is beyond the capability of Maryland to control the spread
of this fish.  This fish can tolerate warm or cold climates, and in the possibility of drought, it can crawl similar to a snake across land to
another water body.  It has a small area within its head, that acts as a lung allowing it to live out of water for long periods of time.  It
is capable of reproducing at the age of 2 or 3 years, and at that time is close to 2 ft long.  If you have a hand in the water and
you are near its location it can and does attack a human.  A very large Snakefish can severe a humans fingers or even a hand.  This is
no joke and we Ice Fishermen should be on the watch for this fish, and if caught kill it immediately and notify the fish and wildlife.  This
fish has the potential to devastate our freshwater sport fishing.  Google it and maybe someone that knows how can post some pictures,
as I still have a hard time with that.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Snakehead fish
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2008, 09:01 AM »

I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2008, 09:02 AM »
I used to work in a pet store that sold them before they were illegal. Very nasty fish but I doubt that they'll attack a human. I've had my hand in the tanks thousands of times and never been bitten. I think that's just to hype them up a bit.

Offline spinzer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2008, 11:32 AM »
I saw that show as well, interesting how they poisoned the whole pond to kill the snakeheads.

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2008, 12:58 PM »
good god. that's a fugly fish.
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline JuvyK

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Feels Like a Nice One...
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2008, 01:15 PM »
I also worked in a aquatic store and have experience with the snakehead fish. It has a small lung in the inside of it that enables it to breath oxygen without water. To say it can travel long distances is a little far fetched. It isnt fast like a snake. It is slow and akward on land.  These fish on the other hand are very aggressive (more than a northern or musky) to say it will attack a human it would have to mistake your hand for food. The biggest problem with these in US waters is they have an extreme appitite. Where as a Bass or Northern will eat about a fish or two a week, this fish will eat daily and breeds more than once a year. A musky on the other hand usually eats once a month. Thats why we should be worried about them and kill them if ever caught.

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2008, 01:30 PM »
i wonder how one would fare against a pike

Offline JuvyK

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Feels Like a Nice One...
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2008, 01:51 PM »
In my experience I would think that it would murder a pike. It has the speed and its mouth is dominating the pikes. Instead of the pikes series of teeth this fish just has one set of teeth that are for tearing.  Where as the pikes are designed to hold prey in its mouth.

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2008, 02:12 PM »
i was actually just wondering this very same thing a few minutes ago. i think i would have to bet on a pike.
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2008, 02:28 PM »
Where do they keep coming up with these fish, the next one is more dangerous that the one before it. What's next, a fish that will jump out of the hole and rape ya!!!! :o :o :o
Steve

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2008, 02:29 PM »
you keep wishing   lol

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2008, 02:51 PM »
i heard in the past if you catch one and kill it and take it to basspro they give u a gift card. Not sure if its still going on or anything else on it

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2008, 06:39 PM »
It wouldn't be the first fish to devastate Maines Fishing. Look what pike have done. For starters. 8)
How they biten

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2008, 06:58 AM »
i say we put a pike and one of these snakeheads in a big tank, and watch them go at it, we can all gamble on who would win and make a sport out of it!!     oh wait didn't mike vick get busted for doing that with dogs................  nevermind :D

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2008, 12:51 PM »
you tube has a video where a snakehead decimates a big bass in a large fish tank....

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2008, 12:58 PM »
hmmm maybe they could help clean up the perch!

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2008, 01:09 PM »
and the bass and the pike ;D

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 2008, 04:56 PM »
This is the next one to worry about!

;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Oct 22, 2008, 05:12 PM »
careful Sarah wont like you picking on them.....  LOL   esp in about 15 days  lol

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #19 on: Oct 22, 2008, 05:24 PM »
What is it with Main folks and perch?  I never have understood that?  :cookoo:  You guys put perch on the same level as carp.  Carp are garbage fish, perch on the other hand are small, but taste fantastic, they aren't garbage eaters, nore do they taste like dirt.  Why all the hate twards perch?  There only fault is God didn't make them bigger. 

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 22, 2008, 05:44 PM »
What is it with Main folks and perch?  I never have understood that?  :cookoo:  You guys put perch on the same level as carp.  Carp are garbage fish, perch on the other hand are small, but taste fantastic, they aren't garbage eaters, nore do they taste like dirt.  Why all the hate twards perch?  There only fault is God didn't make them bigger. 

(Image removed from quote.)

Good thing you didn't ask about pike. :whistle:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Oct 22, 2008, 06:29 PM »

and many more

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #22 on: Oct 22, 2008, 08:17 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)
First of all it is Maine not Main. We were all taught when we were young perch fish were and still are trash fish. In Maine there is nothing like catching a brook trout to eat and fish for except salmon. Perch have been a great demise to alot of native brook trout waters just like bass and pike and other invasive's. In Maine a bucket of dead perch is a great start with a lot of work ahead in trying to clean out them out. Perch in my eye are garbage fish and will never have any value in Maine fisheries what so ever at all.  My 2 cents!!!    ;D  Death to all perch  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #23 on: Oct 23, 2008, 02:59 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #24 on: Oct 23, 2008, 03:11 PM »
Perch have been a great demise to alot of native brook trout waters just like bass and pike and other invasive's.

Brook trout (and their close relative, the cut throat) are the only semi-palitable trout, the rest are nasty, slimy foul tasting trash fish.  Once you get the hang of cleaning perch, you can fillet a 5 gal bucket pretty quickly.  They are just as, if not more, tasty then walleye. never had a pike, bass taste like mud.  In our waters they stock nasty rainbow trout, and have introduced walleye, both of which have really decimated the perch population.  Walleye are good to eat and fun to catch, but the nasty trout they stock could all be poisoned for all I care.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #25 on: Oct 23, 2008, 07:06 PM »
Brook trout (and their close relative, the cut throat) are the only semi-palitable trout, the rest are nasty, slimy foul tasting trash fish.  Once you get the hang of cleaning perch, you can fillet a 5 gal bucket pretty quickly.  They are just as, if not more, tasty then walleye. never had a pike, bass taste like mud.  In our waters they stock nasty rainbow trout, and have introduced walleye, both of which have really decimated the perch population.  Walleye are good to eat and fun to catch, but the nasty trout they stock could all be poisoned for all I care.
Thats the kind of attitude that spreads all the invasive trash fish into the lakes and ponds where they don't belong. 8)
How they biten

Offline mainemark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 23, 2008, 08:31 PM »
I lurk here more than post, but i have to say that we fish for white perch,and bass here in the winter. Just cant beat the eating. We aint rich sportfisherman, we are meat fisherman, thank you very much! Brook trout are delicous, but touge and salmon are trash compared to a perch or a big bass!

Offline BoneHead

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Oct 23, 2008, 10:11 PM »

so it begins,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ::)
Never argue with an idiot, he will just bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2008, 10:34 PM »
In my eyes these things are good for nothing but throwing back or the wall.

But they are fun to catch and fight pretty good.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #29 on: Oct 24, 2008, 06:54 AM »
The fish that I enjoy eating the most is White Perch and saltwater smelts. Yellow Perch are half the size of the whites. They do keep the interest up when you take small children fishing. I like watching the eagles sneaking up and stealing them, the yellow perch not the children. :D
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.