The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Good inland waters for perch in southern michigan ?  (Read 3168 times)

Offline yonderfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
Good inland waters for perch in southern michigan ?
« on: Oct 16, 2008, 08:45 PM »
Anybody have suggestions for perch anywhere in southern michigan besides lake erie ?  Thanks

Offline Bgreen02

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Good inland waters for perch in southern michigan ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2008, 12:02 AM »
St. Clair if you can find the schools. I usually have luck around metro and around 10 and jefferson area. Haven't fished many inland lakes near the Erie area. I use to fish Island lake state park years back and they produced a lot of perch but haven't been in there in about 9 years

Team M.I.R.C Rock bass. It's whats for dinner.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2008, 10:31 AM »
Most lakes have some decent numbers of good Perch in them, they're under fished in most inland lakes. Main problem is most people don't spend enought time and effort in finding them. Lots of holes and even more scouting during open water looking for the humps, bumps, transitions, etc...... on where to start. 50 holes is not all that uncommon when looking for them, people just won't do it, or won't until we find them. Have plenty of "friends" then.

Offline yonderfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2008, 11:32 AM »
I am relatively new to ice fishing now after living down south for 25+ years but until I was 13 I lived near Oscoda Michigan. My dad used to take me out on van ettan lake in the same spot year after year and almost always catch all the perch we could haul home , right out of the first 2 holes he cut when we got there. I guess maybe I am hoping in vain that I might find some place similar eventually. I know even van ettan lake isnt what it used to be.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2008, 01:16 PM »
And would bet he spent years finding it. Avid Perch chasers pretty much know where to start on their lakes, then move about to zero in if needed, but it comes, usually, after a few years of scouting.

Offline yonderfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2008, 02:02 PM »
Yeah, he spent a lot of years ice fishing thats for sure. He said that was just his favorite spot. But if memory serves me correctly , people fished all over the lake and usually did pretty well. That was back in the late 70's early 80's though , they even got enough ice back then to drive their vehicles out on the ice. I doubt there is any place like that anymore but theres gotta be some better places than the reservoirs Ive been fishing on. I should try st clair and erie this winter though if I get the chance.

Offline initforfun

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FakeProblems.com
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2008, 08:13 PM »
I have a couple honey hole inland lakes. Perch aren't really jumbos but consistantly get limits around 8 inchers. PM me and let me know where you are located maybe we could hook up for an outing this year!  Brendan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.