The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anyone fish Lake Iroquois?  (Read 5711 times)

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
Anyone fish Lake Iroquois?
« on: Sep 30, 2008, 02:52 PM »
Hi all
Looking for a new challenge this year and want to target Crappie.  Heard Lake Iroquois holds 'em.  Anyone want to share some general tips on catching 'em?  I'm willing to do the legwork, so "find 'em in the water column and catch 'em" isn't much of a tip, right?  I'm curious about what they hit (minnows, waxies, grubs?),  presentations, morning v. nighttime etc.  Also is the Lake Iroquois tip good?  Can anyone confirm or deny?  Thanks for any and all help

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline Vt Piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone fish Lake Iroquois?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2008, 08:18 PM »
I've never heard of crappie in Iroquois...but that doesn't mean there aren't any. I never fished for them there. A place that's pretty well know for crappie is McEwins slang just south of the Champlain bridge from West Addisson. I've caught them on pins and on salmon eggs.
I have an old buddy who fishes Iroquois regularly. If I run into him I'll pick his brain.
 You ever fish the fall salmon run off the sandbar?
<br />img

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2008, 12:59 PM »
Ya I've tried the fall run, with limited success.  This time of year, I'm usually bowhunting tough (like this morning).  Only so much time for my outdoors pursuits...
One guy on another forum mentioned crappie on Iroquois, so I'll put it in the mix for this winter.  I've always heard about them in the southern end of Champlain, but I don't usually trek that far for icefishing-I tend to go up toward the islands

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline ChamplainTigerShark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2008, 06:54 PM »
I fished Iroquois regularly last year (100+ hours), and caught only 2 crappies, they came right in a row 25' on the bottom  one keeper (10") and one throw back (5"). However there are a ton of perch, and pickerel in the lake.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2008, 08:07 PM »
I fished Iroquois regularly last year (100+ hours), and caught only 2 crappies, they came right in a row 25' on the bottom  one keeper (10") and one throw back (5"). However there are a ton of perch, and pickerel in the lake.
that's fine, cuz i like the perch also  ;D ;D

Offline ccblu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2008, 11:10 AM »
I know they are there.   I have a friend who fishes them there.  There are a few nice humps and rock piles that I fish there over the summer, I would mark them on your gps and hit those up.  I Have a lot of experience crappie fishing and some friends who are top of the line crappie killers.   Our best luck has been jigging them.   They are not like perch you can't just drop a line down to the bottom and jig.   The best way to do it is get your depth first, lets say it's 12 feet.   Slowly drop your jig down to about 7 feet, then begin slowly jigging down about 4-6 inches at a time then pause all the way to the bottom.   Then work back up to 7 feet or so.   The key to finding crappie is MOVING around there are few times when you can pull crappie one right after another out of one hole.   They move around a lot.   My friends and I will pop about 50 to 75 holes working our way for shallow water out to the deeper water, you just need to find where they are holding, it's a fun game but can be frustrating!!!   The smaller the jig the better tipped with one or two spikes is all you need.   Light line is a must!!!  I have friends who use ONE pound test!!!   A light pole is a must too.   Crappie have paper thin mouths the stiffer the rod the more fish you will loose, it will just pull the jig right out.   Nice light tips are great for feeling the bite, but a good back bone is good because those big fish can put the hurt on you real quick.   My friends and I are always willing to help out and show people the ropes.   Don't be afraid to email me [email protected]   

Offline ccblu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2008, 03:57 PM »
Here are some pics of some of the days we had last year.

A vexilar works wonders on highly pressured fish.   They are expensive but if you crappie fish you will find they are a huge help!!

a nice pair of 1.30 blacks!

Just a few of the brutes caught while fishing with Dave Genz and a group of friends last year.

A beautiful limit of blacks with a few bull blues that were close to a pound!!

Another nice limit!

Offline mr.bibit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • owner/operator VTSPORTSMAN
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2008, 05:16 PM »
Iroquois should freez up soon and the panfishing should be good.
Scott
Vtsportsman hardwater tournament series

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2008, 05:58 PM »
with these cold temps, I hope to be out right after muzzleloader.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.