Author Topic: RULES ON TRAPPING SHINERS ???  (Read 4160 times)

Offline NHTROUTNUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work is for days i don't fish
RULES ON TRAPPING SHINERS ???
« on: Sep 29, 2008, 04:46 PM »
 I was told today at work that i  have till Oct 1st  to trap all my shiners  for this  year.  Is this true????

timberdoodle

Re: RULES ON TRAPPING SHINERS ???
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2008, 05:59 PM »
Unless NH is adopting VT rules, I haven't heard anything like that. As far as I know you can trap them year round. I just gave the book a quick check and couldn't see anything in there.

Offline NHTROUTNUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2008, 06:02 PM »
 I looked in the book also and could not find anything in it.

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2008, 07:15 PM »
Maybe call NH Fish and Game direct.  603-271-2501
I keep the # stored in the cell phone and have called on occassion to clarify rules/regs.
as sometimes the wording is difficult to clearly understand?

They're pretty decent about answering your questions ;)

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2008, 09:36 AM »

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2008, 10:27 AM »
Shiners may be taken for personal use by licensed angler with up to six traps not over 18 inches long each, with an opening not over one inch in diameter, or a circular drop net not over 48 inches in diameter; or a square net of equal area.  Each trap must have the angler's name and address on it.

This is really at it states in regards to harvesting bait.  They do specify which species can be harvested and used for bait on another page, however they do not outline seasons for the taking of baitfish.

Offline NHTROUTNUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2008, 05:31 PM »
 I called F & G  today  i was told that  we all can trap bait  . just can't trap on any trout pond after Oct 15 th.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2008, 05:56 PM »
I called F & G  today  i was told that  we all can trap bait  . just can't trap on any trout pond after Oct 15 th.

that is just another reason to call f&g if you are unsure. No where in the book is that stated!

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2008, 07:24 PM »
That is why I call them.

There have been a few times I've referenced the rule book and couldn't find  a clear ruling or specification? One would think if it doesn't say it's illegal than there's no problem, but I feel it's better to be safe than sorry, so I don't assume anything.

In my experience most F&G and CO's are decent guys. Although I'm sure they've all heard a fish story or 2.... and the excuse "I didn't know"  probably won't fly.  I've found that phone call will save ya the hastle and maybe even a fine?

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2008, 07:34 PM »
When I became a guide, there were so many new laws that I was obligated to follow. I emailed Lt. Bonnefant (now retired) many times for the exact reading of the law.  It always made me feel better to get the reading in writing. I would then print out the email and carry it in my clipboard of paperwork I carry. 

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2008, 08:40 PM »
I've always entertained the thought of getting the big thick book they have. Believe it or not, the small books we get even state we should review the larger book and that we're responsible to know those laws.  There are so many laws, I'm sure a ton are broken without knowing it.  I've never heard of not being able to trap bait on a trout pond after Oct. 15.  It makes some sense since you aren't allowed to bass fish it either, but case-in-point; we don't get to see that rule in print in the small books.  Imagine getting dinged for it  :-\

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 2008, 06:49 AM »
I've always entertained the thought of getting the big thick book they have. Believe it or not, the small books we get even state we should review the larger book and that we're responsible to know those laws.  There are so many laws, I'm sure a ton are broken without knowing it.  I've never heard of not being able to trap bait on a trout pond after Oct. 15.  It makes some sense since you aren't allowed to bass fish it either, but case-in-point; we don't get to see that rule in print in the small books.  Imagine getting dinged for it  :-\

Here is another rule that I did not know about:

I watched a guy shoot a pheasant and then his dad went and picked it up. The father almost got busted for "possesion of a game bird without a license!"  The father was not carrying a gun either. In further discussion with game warden, both father and son have under the eye for poaching.  They were trying to bust them but could not come up with a strong enough case.  Two weeks later, they got busted for loaded muzzleloaders in the bed of their truck!

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2008, 11:42 AM »
I've always entertained the thought of getting the big thick book they have.

I got one once. Problem is, there are so many law changes every year that you would have to buy one every year at $30. Cheaper to email f&g...Tim

Offline NHTROUTNUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 01, 2008, 03:25 PM »
 When i called i was told no trapping in any trout waters after OCT. 15 that means ponds lakes brooks and streams forgot to say that yesterday. sorry guys.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Oct 02, 2008, 11:24 PM »
My friends dad is the Game Warden here in this district so I am pretty well informed on new happenings here in Ma. It's nice to know your local Wardens, you never know when you might need them for something.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 05, 2008, 07:24 PM »
When i called i was told no trapping in any trout waters after OCT. 15 that means ponds lakes brooks and streams forgot to say that yesterday. sorry guys.

Did that apply to trapping suckers in lakes?
I didn't see anything like that in the book.

JIGGIN.

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 06, 2008, 07:08 AM »
I didn't see anything like that in the book.

To be honest, that's what kind of concerns me.  We're supposed to know all the laws and rules, but like Jiffyman pointed out, it's $30 a year for a book that changes EVERY year.  And it's not like anyone is going to take a day off to go to F&G headquarters to read the book there.

On suckers in lake/ponds there is no closed season for angling, icefishing, or traps.  There is however a season from Jan 1 to Oct 15 for angling icefishing, and trapping suckers on rivers.

Then if you read the rules for Lake Trout & Salmon Waters it states open all year for non-trout/salmon species and to see the general rules for minimum length and creel limits.  When you look in the rules for the specific water bodies, Winni does specify areas that are closed to ALL FISHING on a certain date.

I think the F&G officer is off base with the lakes comment.  It's open to all other species, you can fish bass in November on Winni if you're heart so desired.  I would talk to them before trapping on the lakes, but I can't understand why it would be illegal to trap suckers on a lake trout/salmon lake.  Unless of course there is something in the big book that was omitted from the abridged version.

Trout Ponds do not say open all year and it appears that their season limit is concrete for all species.

timberdoodle

« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2008, 02:08 PM »
Hey I sent out a couple of emails to F&G and I'm not sure if it helps or not...lol. but here they are with the responses.
email 1
I have a question regarding trapping minnows for bait. After October 15th what water bodies are still open for trapping bait? Or maybe it would be easier to tell me which waterbodies, or type of waterbody is still open to trapping bait with shiner traps for personal use? The regulations seem a little unclear in the small book. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance.
response

Thank you for your email.  The only ponds that are closed October 15th are trout ponds.  You are welcome to trap for minnows on any open water.

Check out the rules on pages 22 and 23 of the rules Digest.  For example, on Winnipesaukee, which is a "Lake Trout/Salmon" water, the rules say "October 1 to December 31st, closed to all trout salmon and whitefish".  You can still set a minnow trap for personal use. 

I would also be sure to read the smelt rules on page 71 - just to be clear on the difference between minnow and smelt rules.

I hope this is helpful.  For your info, every business day we always have a law enforcement person available at 271-3127.  They are happy to explain laws, clarify definitions - whatever you have questions on.

Thanks much.

Email 2

I am looking for some clarification about trapping shiners for bait (for personal use). Where is it legal to trap bait after the 15th of October? I live near the sugar river in newport and was hoping to trap shiners there before Ice-In. But I have been told (not by Fish and Game) that I can not after the 15th of Oct. is this true? If so where is it legal to trap bait in sullivan county? Thank you in advance.

response

If the waterbody is closed like the Sugar River is see the 2 links that I will attach.  Same will go for Lakes and Ponds if the waterbody is closed you can not take.  The 2nd link will give you waters that are managed for trout without a closed season. 

http://wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/year_round_trout_streams.htm
http://wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/year_round_trout_ponds.htm
These are under our fishing page look for All About Trout and then there are a couple of things like wild trout, aerial stocked and then these 2.  If this does not clarify for you let me know.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.