Author Topic: Winter plans?  (Read 4471 times)

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
Winter plans?
« on: Sep 16, 2008, 01:39 PM »
What events/derbies do you guys plan on attending?

Im planning on Winni,Country Pond, Newfound and possibly go up to the moosehead gathering that the Maine guys have in Jan. Went up last year in Feb and had a blast cought some nice salmon and lakers.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Winter plans?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2008, 07:55 PM »
Winni,  & Attitash, Country, Johnsons, Chadwick (Mass Bass/Pick) + any others that come up? ;D

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2008, 07:58 PM »
I am going to try to find some new trout waters now that I am here in NY and also plan on Jan 24th's "Little Alaska Outing"

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2008, 08:00 PM »
I am going to try to find some new trout waters now that I am here in NY and also plan on Jan 24th's "Little Alaska Outing"

Ahhh yes, I almost forgot... now that a date is set.... I'll be there....Lookin' forward to it  ;) ;D

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2008, 08:10 PM »
JPS derby in Ma. at Cheshire Lake (biggest derby in Western Ma.

Moosehead trip for 4 nights with the guys from Maine,

If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2008, 09:38 PM »
how many of you guys pan on goin to little Alaska? if the date is right i might go. ???

Offline woodfolks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2008, 10:05 PM »
I live in NY plattsburgh. Were is the little Alaska trney

We (friends ) and I will be building a 6X4 shanty in a few weeks
It will be the woodfolks shanty We will put it on Kings bay on lake Champlain

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2008, 08:31 AM »
i;m done with the winter derbies........however , if i do go to one i would like to go to attitash......for years i went to country, potanipo, winni, but the number of participants is getting crazy........winni doesn't suffer that problem, because its so big......however, at country pond last year there had to be over 200 traps in one cove.......i packed up and went to an area where there was nobody......who knows......i do like the derbies, but getting there at the crack of dawn to get your spot is no longer enjoyable......at country pond i was getting there at 330 am and i was never the first one......i do  plan on fishing hard however
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Fishback

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2008, 08:48 AM »
Im gonna try to hit a race over at Mi-T-Joe campground in Milton. If the conditions are right, they have all sorts or races over on the ice. Last year it was canceled due to ice conditions. They have all sorts of various races....Sled Drag racing, Various cars...ect. ect.

I've been trying to catch one for years but it never seems to pan out.

And....Win the Great Rotary Derby of course!

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2008, 08:55 AM »
I'm skipping the Rotary Derby again.  At least I think I will... who knows.  Dealing with all of the people that come out for that weekend is reason enough to stay home or fish somewhere really out of the way.

This will be a fun season.  Hopefully my freezer will be +2 deer going into it so I can make some good ice fishing chili.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2008, 03:53 PM »
Only the Newfound Derby for me!

JIGGIN.

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2008, 07:53 PM »
i;m done with the winter derbies........however , if i do go to one i would like to go to attitash......for years i went to country, potanipo, winni, but the number of participants is getting crazy........winni doesn't suffer that problem, because its so big......however, at country pond last year there had to be over 200 traps in one cove.......i packed up and went to an area where there was nobody......who knows......i do like the derbies, but getting there at the crack of dawn to get your spot is no longer enjoyable......at country pond i was getting there at 330 am and i was never the first one......i do  plan on fishing hard however

Hey Jibbs,

I do the Attitash derby every year... as far back as I remember, at least 6-7 years I think ::).  I have placed a few times once 4th and once 8th out of the (Top 10 for prize $)  both fish were over 4 and 1/2 lbs. Last year we had two that were 4+ that didn't even place..... BIG Bass here every year the winner is usually 6-7lber.  The only down side as you said is that just like most eastern mass derbies it does get busy. There's usually around 75-100 guys but not too crowded.  Don (the guy who runs it/ owns Merrimac Bait) is an awesome guy and keeps it fair.

If you end up going, let me know so I can stop by,  I'd like to meet the famous JIbbs ;D

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2008, 08:26 PM »
 Newfound and maybe Winni. I've thought about going to the one on Sebago.
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline baboosicfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 17, 2008, 09:09 PM »
I have learned that fishing in a "derby" against Jibbs is usually a losing battle, i wouldn't recommend it  8)  See you out there i am sure
Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2008, 03:57 AM »
Me and the wife rent a place on the lake for the rotary derby every year now.
and on sat morning theres nothing better than a nice fire going in the fireplace,
and sitting down for a nice breakfast when you look out the window and you have a flag when everyone else is still streaming onto the ice,drilling,screaming etc.........
                                                                                                                                                                                              priceless ;D

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2008, 11:09 AM »
Hey Jibbs,

I do the Attitash derby every year... as far back as I remember, at least 6-7 years I think ::).  I have placed a few times once 4th and once 8th out of the (Top 10 for prize $)  both fish were over 4 and 1/2 lbs. Last year we had two that were 4+ that didn't even place..... BIG Bass here every year the winner is usually 6-7lber.  The only down side as you said is that just like most eastern mass derbies it does get busy. There's usually around 75-100 guys but not too crowded.  Don (the guy who runs it/ owns Merrimac Bait) is an awesome guy and keeps it fair.

If you end up going, let me know so I can stop by,  I'd like to meet the famous JIbbs ;D
sounds great.........that's why i want to go.........i have started to fish a bit more at attitash and i have seen first hand that there are some big fish in there.........as for donnie......i know him very well..........he claims i am one of his best customers.........not the title i want to hear, because that means i spend too much there.......i saw the top ten from last year and there were some big bass weighed in......
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2008, 12:06 PM »
Me and the wife rent a place on the lake for the rotary derby every year now.
and on sat morning theres nothing better than a nice fire going in the fireplace,
and sitting down for a nice breakfast when you look out the window and you have a flag when everyone else is still streaming onto the ice,drilling,screaming etc.........
                                                                                                                                                                                              priceless ;D

same here but where my camp is on alton bay there was a nice crack in the ice and when we got all of that snow it let the ice sag and it created a giant slusshy. hope for better conditions next year.

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 18, 2008, 07:48 PM »
sounds great.........that's why i want to go.........i have started to fish a bit more at attitash and i have seen first hand that there are some big fish in there.........as for donnie......i know him very well..........he claims i am one of his best customers.........not the title i want to hear, because that means i spend too much there.......i saw the top ten from last year and there were some big bass weighed in......

Sounds Good, I'll keep it in mind when the time comes so I can meet ya :)

Haa haa Donnie is a really good guy. I've been going to his shop for a long time now for those BIG shiners he has. I think it was about 6 winters ago just before I got into the union I spent most of the winter on Attitash and would stop by daily to bug Donnie, I think he'd remember me as the guy who just wont shut up about fishin :-X :laugh:.... As a matter of fact he donated alot of bait to my nephews Boy scout troop for their annual ice fishing trip to Country Pond last year... Good Guy :)

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 19, 2008, 10:52 AM »
i am one of those as well.......i enjoy sitting on the stool and shooting the breeze......those shiners are deadly and i have the pictures to prove it......i have seen some in the 10 inch range.....

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #19 on: Oct 26, 2008, 08:01 AM »
my plans are attatash pluggs chadwick rotary and lil Al for derbies anyway

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 26, 2008, 05:46 PM »
my plans are attatash pluggs chadwick rotary and lil Al for derbies anyway

See ya there Finless ;D ;)

Offline Chiefbush

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 29, 2008, 05:33 PM »
I will have a 8 x 10 shanty on Lake Umbagog complete with wood stove.  If any one is lookin to get out there let me know.  Lots of action especially for the kids.  Easy access right from the launch.

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #22 on: Oct 29, 2008, 05:57 PM »
Chief I may take you up on that offer  I have always wonted to ice fish there. My problem was the interstate rules.  You can't fish from this this red marker to so and so point I know I'd SCREW UP so some one in the know would be a god send  Talk to ya latter ART

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #23 on: Oct 29, 2008, 11:00 PM »
how is the fishing at lake umbagog what do you catch? Mostly smallies?

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 30, 2008, 08:52 PM »
Going to do the rotary derby with my son this year. Got the permission slip signed from the wife and everything. Should be fun.

If you are serious about winning any derby prefishing it helps but with any amount of people making a bunch of noise above the ice for 2-3 days, there is a pretty healthy amount of luck involved. Wait, unless you know a good private farm pond to stop at on the way. That works too but maybe not this year. ;)

Offline Chiefbush

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 31, 2008, 06:04 PM »
Chief I may take you up on that offer  I have always wonted to ice fish there. My problem was the interstate rules.  You can't fish from this this red marker to so and so point I know I'd SCREW UP so some one in the know would be a god send  Talk to ya latter ART
No prob.....  Let me know and well hook up out there!!!

Offline Chiefbush

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 31, 2008, 06:07 PM »
how is the fishing at lake umbagog what do you catch? Mostly smallies?
Fishing has been great.  Mostly pikeral, perch, and some smallies.  Usually lots of flags.  Last year 14 flags in 3 hours.  We had to leave because of a Christmas party.  Anyway, had a difficult time getting my tip ups out because of all the action.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.