Author Topic: Got a Puzzle for you guys  (Read 6809 times)

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
Got a Puzzle for you guys
« on: Aug 21, 2008, 02:35 AM »
Alrighty then......I live in south west MT and fish a fishery that produces some stellar trout, I consider stellar 3-5lb average since I've never caught one smaller.  I have fished this lake my whole life and have a few questions.  The lake is usually quite murky through the winter since the algae dies off for the winter and high winds keep it stirred up until severe cold.  I have caught fish all over the water column with little or no sense to it.  No matter where the wind is blowing to or from, barometric pressure, temperature, and so forth has led me to pattern these fish consistently.  Im allowed 2 poles per person and cant use minnows.  This past ice season I caught a 20" brown 6" off the bottom on a pink ratso and then a rainbow halfway down the water column (1-10ft).  The rainbow I caught on a yellow perch forage minnow pattern with a worm and egg on board.  The ratso had no bait at all and the brown nibbled at it for 20 minutes while the rainbow yanked the pole to the edge of the hole.  Old timers are telling me to use corn,worms, and eggs on the same hook and to find the springs under the ice......I DO NOT WANT TO FIND THE SPRINGS.  I've seen panther martins, wooly buggers, and tiny tot jigs work here....what is going on?  Any input is much appreciated

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Re: Got a Puzzle for you guys
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2008, 08:41 AM »
I'm puzzled alright... Your catching 20" browns and rainbows all over the water column, no matter what you throw at them....
HUH?  Whats the problem again? ;D
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2008, 09:45 AM »
i'm puzzled too. you can catch trout anywhere in the water column, even just under the ice. the ratso is a lure, and the worm is bait, so that's a no brainer. what's the puzzle? you seem to be doing good.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2008, 10:26 AM »
Those are the only two fish I have caught there in the past 2 years.  There are no perch or other baitfish aside from suckers in the lake.  I mean maybe Im fishing this all weird.  I fish the arm farthest away from public access (1 1/2 miles) cause we have property right up to it essentially.  A few people walk all the way while some bring 4 wheelers through the canyon, which to me is suicide.  Talked to some guys last year that were in my new spot and they said they had caught 12 rainbows, 4 browns, and an 18inch brookie along with numerous suckers.   Needless to say I nearly had a heart attack when they gave the numbers of their catch and had to see it to believe it.  But their biggest fish was 18"?   Im not bragging or boasting but wondering why I never run into fish under 16-18 inches in open water or hardwater.  So what's going on in this lake?

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2008, 11:16 AM »
sounds to me like you have every thng down pat. not sure what the problem is because you sound like you have it all under control according to the post. maybe a little more input will get your point out there.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2008, 11:17 AM »
It is strange you are only catching the bigger ones.  You say you have patterned these fish consistently but how come you've only caught 2 fish these past 2 years? Or have you only fished it once or twice these past 2 years? As for the trout being all over the water column, thats normal, as there is no doubt a lot of different insects in the lake which will be all over the water column, throughout the entire year.   And there must be some sort of minnows in there too.   How deep of water do you usually fish?  In the winter I find really shallow water the best for rainbows (2-5 ft of water).   One thing you could do when you catch a fish is use a stomach pump to see what they are feeding on, then "match the hatch", this will give you more info as to whats going on at different times of the year.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2008, 01:37 PM »
cutbow_07, are you complaining or bragging... :laugh:
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2008, 03:24 PM »
if your worried about the springs, bring a spud bar to check the ice ahead of you.  to find the springs watch it next spring and fall and watch for the areas to freeze first and open back up first.

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2008, 11:28 PM »
No Im not bragging but merely stating the facts.  The average rainbow 2 years ago during the spawn was 22" and 2-3lbs.  This information comes from being at the milking station on the main tributary where the rainbows are milked by the FWP.  These rainbows are originally Deschmidt rainbows but are the only trout known to of adapted to be highly resistant to whirling disease and are being studied in depth around the state. 
Forage resources are very high with minnow lures like blue foxes work well during open water.  A huge staple of the food chain is the crawdad population.  Could the problem with catching more fish be the fact that they have no need to feed since so much food is available to them?

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2008, 09:44 AM »
that could be one reason. also, from reading posts here, a lot of people fish very shallow water for bows. try water from 5 feet deep to as little as a foot deep. they will post more once it gets cold.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2008, 09:48 AM »
LOL I'm confused.  ??? ??? :unsure: :unsure: ??? ???
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 2008, 04:45 PM »
odds are when you pump their stomachs it would just reviel minnows which he cant use. i would have to say your best bet is to fish more and fish harder!!! dont be afraid to move. any guys on here can give you tips but the best way to learn how to fish better is do it yourself. Good choice on not going toward the hot springs. In fact im not sure why they would say that. The warmer water would hold less o2 which should keep the fish far away. If in the winter there are no weeds at all. then your best bet is to go deep. Thats where the 02 is the strongest because its the coldest water. If there are any weeds then its simple, fish the weeds

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Aug 22, 2008, 05:50 PM »
Yeah i will keep my eye on future posts and start changing some more things up.  Thanks to all for giving me input and best wishes to all!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2008, 11:13 AM »
Cutbow,

do you understand why finding those springs may improve your catch rate?  Oxygen!  As the winter presses on the lake becomes less oxygenated due to the lack of exposed surface area.  The fish will congregate where they feel it is easier to breath.  The bait will congregate there also.

I gotta ask....what lake?

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2008, 12:00 PM »
hey cutbow 07, make sure you keep us posted or updated. thanks
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2008, 04:05 PM »
Cutbow,

do you understand why finding those springs may improve your catch rate?  Oxygen!  As the winter presses on the lake becomes less oxygenated due to the lack of exposed surface area.  The fish will congregate where they feel it is easier to breath.  The bait will congregate there also.

I gotta ask....what lake?

Not only will there be more oxygen but yes the water there will be a little warmer. maybe into the 40's. the fish would like 40degree water much more than the 30 degree water.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2008, 05:26 PM »
odds are when you pump their stomachs it would just reviel minnows which he cant use. i would have to say your best bet is to fish more and fish harder!!! dont be afraid to move. any guys on here can give you tips but the best way to learn how to fish better is do it yourself. Good choice on not going toward the hot springs. In fact im not sure why they would say that. The warmer water would hold less o2 which should keep the fish far away. If in the winter there are no weeds at all. then your best bet is to go deep. Thats where the 02 is the strongest because its the coldest water. If there are any weeds then its simple, fish the weeds

Jay ,
 All of the trout that I have caught the last two seasons have been full of snails... not a minnow, crawfish, in any of them. some caddisfly larve though.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2008, 06:46 PM »
actually, springs in the lake have a low amount of disolved o2. not a good place to icefish. for some reason, where steams come in, it also is not good. been reading about this for years! ???

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #18 on: Sep 12, 2008, 09:50 PM »
yes pooley, i have heard something of the same nature myself.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 14, 2008, 09:02 AM »
 ??? ??? ??? Link?

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #20 on: Sep 15, 2008, 08:41 AM »
actually, springs in the lake have a low amount of disolved o2. not a good place to icefish. for some reason, where steams come in, it also is not good. been reading about this for years! ???

Pooley, this totally depends on the spring...and unfortunately there is not definitive way to tell.  Either way, fish congregate at underwater springs because the water temperature maintain a more consistent temperature.  When I find them, I have always found more fish.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 16, 2008, 07:20 PM »
hhhmmmm. could be a 'where you are ' thing. around here, it means less fish. could be something as simple as PH. i'll have to look into it more.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 16, 2008, 09:34 PM »
Jay ,
 All of the trout that I have caught the last two seasons have been full of snails... not a minnow, crawfish, in any of them. some caddisfly larve though.

and that my friend is why you got to learn how to fish differently when you move cause were i fish i always find small minnows in my trout

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Sep 18, 2008, 11:33 PM »
I have some tips on catching nice size trout. Swedish Pimples and Mealworms. Gold and silver. I some times catch a trout here and there...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #24 on: Sep 24, 2008, 07:33 PM »
and that my friend is why you got to learn how to fish differently when you move cause were i fish i always find small minnows in my trout
These are hard water trout.... during soft water season they have every thing in their bellys.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #25 on: Sep 27, 2008, 11:19 AM »
should be no minnows in pristine trout waters

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 27, 2008, 02:10 PM »
the lakes im fishing arnt pristine. they are all stocked and its put and take, they love the little minnows, i find them full of them all the time

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #27 on: Sep 28, 2008, 09:39 AM »
Guess you don't have the "No live Bait rule"?

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 01, 2008, 01:43 PM »
not yet, its bound to happen eventually though

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #29 on: Oct 03, 2008, 10:03 AM »
Not only will there be more oxygen but yes the water there will be a little warmer. maybe into the 40's. the fish would like 40degree water much more than the 30 degree water.

Where are you finding 30 degree water?  Ain't that ice?????????

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.