Author Topic: Who needs Bait?  (Read 12881 times)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Who needs Bait?
« on: Jul 23, 2008, 12:27 PM »
Two seasons back a buddy of mine "BVD" and I, took a bunch of kids and a few "to old to Ice fish any more" old timers Ice fishing on a Sunday. Some of the kids for the first time. The local body of water had easy access. You could sit in the trucks on shore if it got too cold and still easily see the tip-ups.
 Anyway, after drilling holes and helping everyone else set up for three hours. I started setting up my own gear. I quickly found that the bait was gone except for one very small ice cycle that had obviously been in the wrong place at the wrong time and ended up in our bait bucket.... and he was a floater too.
 Afraid that I would cut him in half if I tried to hook him at the fin, I put the hook in his mouth, having to force the barb in his mouth cause he was so small.
 By now this had turned into quite the joke and every one had a good laugh at the little baits expense. Since I sounded out the hole any way, I set my lone tip-up and got prepared to chase flags for the kids.
 Now we had 61 tip-ups altogether and it was turning out to be a very slow morning with very few fish iced.
Walking back to the main group, several kids pointed at me and yelled "FLAG". Sure enough my lone tip-up must have gotten a wind flag, but no, it was running and after feeling a lot of heft on the line, I Iced the largest pickerel of my life.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Re: Who needs Bait?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2008, 01:30 PM »
the ice gods did that to reward you jimmy.  ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2008, 01:38 PM »
As Earl would say

" Karma is a funny thing"
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2008, 04:54 PM »
yep, that karma is a beautiful thing!!
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2008, 08:53 PM »
stuff like that happens to me all the time. and thats why i love fishing with other people!!!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2008, 05:22 AM »
61 tip-ups! Some kids! Sounds like you put out a lot of good karma and karma smiled at you! I believe you will have more good karma coming to you for years... Nice job!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2008, 06:54 AM »
Glad you guys like the ice fishing story in the middle of soft water.....Wait, ..... Is that more Karma?

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2008, 06:59 AM »
Thats cool, Karma can be a good thing.  :tipup:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2008, 10:44 AM »
just racking it up, aren't you jimmy. ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2008, 08:31 PM »
I haven't figured out yet how I screwed up as we still have a flooded yard from the last 3 days of rain.
 Wednesday we got 8" in 24 hours. It's a trip seeing Bait fish chased by pickerel where you were mowing a week ago. ???

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2008, 09:49 PM »
hey jimmy, that sounds pretty cool. do you need a float tube or can you see them from the window.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 26, 2008, 06:18 AM »
Lake is still high but the water is off the lawn now and the dock is not under water any more

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2008, 10:11 AM »
wow, 8" is a lot! i still remember when floyd came through here. locally we got 17 inches!!!!! man, was that wild! i saw waterfalls where i never saw water before! i'll never forget that! i spent the day driving in it.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2008, 11:11 AM »
you didn"t get water in the basement i hope!
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 2008, 11:34 AM »
not up here! ;D

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #15 on: Jul 26, 2008, 11:37 AM »
wow i need some snow right about now, when is the pic from. if it is now, i will be over in about an hour.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #16 on: Jul 26, 2008, 11:38 AM »
this winter. i wish! it's already like 85 here.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #17 on: Jul 26, 2008, 11:45 AM »
thats a relief, i thought you new about some strange cold that came in and i didn"t know about it.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jul 26, 2008, 08:41 PM »
All the bait is now back in the lake thanks to my daughter... Check this out she found two BLUE crayfish on our lawn. I'll take pictures and post them tomorrow. ;)

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #19 on: Jul 27, 2008, 06:44 AM »
i have lots of crayfish at the river across from my house, makes for some good bassin. unless my daughters see them around. the girls tend to get mad at daddy.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jul 27, 2008, 02:52 PM »
We are talkin BLUE Though

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #21 on: Jul 27, 2008, 02:52 PM »
where are the pics????

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #22 on: Jul 27, 2008, 03:55 PM »
Just got back, let me find the camera

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #23 on: Jul 27, 2008, 04:30 PM »
I have never seen crayfish this color before and they are from my back yard

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #24 on: Jul 27, 2008, 04:37 PM »
i've read about them, but those are the first i've ever seen! too cool! mating color? shedding? are they cold?? :P

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #25 on: Jul 27, 2008, 04:42 PM »
The blue perch from last winter that was posted on here was the first smuff coloring I had seen. The pic on the lawn really shows how bright the blue is. 8)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #26 on: Jul 27, 2008, 04:42 PM »
Heard of any explanation for this condition? All the rest of the crayfish playing in the yard and in the road were normal redish color.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #27 on: Jul 27, 2008, 04:57 PM »
just posted it on MFF. i'll let you know if someone has an answer there. ;D i still can't believe the color!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #28 on: Jul 27, 2008, 05:37 PM »
i think i read this before but don"t recall were, that might be a pre sheding of there shell just before they become soft shelled. how was the body , was it getting soft?
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #29 on: Jul 27, 2008, 06:32 PM »
The larger one was Very hard and the smaller one was not soft, but not super hard.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.