Author Topic: Snow cover  (Read 995 times)

Bottom bouncer

Snow cover
« on: Jan 21, 2004, 04:55 PM »
Does anyone else set up on snow cover, if  there is any and drill holes near edge towards clear ice. Do you think fish use snow cover as hiding place to scout for food,does snow cover prevent spooking fish on sunny days. Has anyone ever set up equipment or hang out on a large tarp or something else be sides a shack to prevent shadow in water below ice. I've noticed if I come up on hole to soon fish may drop bait and quit biting, or is this just my luck.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
Re:Snow cover
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2004, 06:07 PM »
I guess that depends on where I was fishing and how shallow or how much ice. 2ft+ice over 20+fow I don't think you have to worry. Running
frozen river holes or mouths I tend to be alot more stealth. At night over shallow water I tend to keep the noise and commotion down. If they are hungry it doesn't matter but a neutral fish could potentially be spooked depending on where your at. Hell sometimes noise helps when fishing perch. Next time you have a lull in action take your spud bar and pound on the ice walking around for awhile,doesn't happen every time but enough to try it,drill holes start vehicles,try to have so much fun the fish will cruise over just to see what's going on!
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2004, 01:26 PM »
i've done the oposite, i've removed snow to provide more light while jigging for northers, I don't know if it helped though.  I have used snowcover later in the winter though because the ice is thicker and thats where it is thinnest.  it helps for not having to use an extention.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2004, 02:26 PM »
I'm with Jake, the snow actually causes less light to penetrate the ice.  I would rather fish on clear ice than snow covered ice.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2004, 07:08 PM »
plus its more exciting when you hook one ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.