Author Topic: Best/longest fight  (Read 1377 times)

iceman04

Best/longest fight
« on: Jan 21, 2004, 04:07 PM »
what has been everyones best fight with a fish (through the ice) and how long did it take to land (and what was it/how big?)

Offline howey1176

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:Best/longest fight
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2004, 04:20 PM »
41" northern last year. Almost spooled my tip up(400 ft of line). Kept bottoming into the weeds. About 15-20 minutes of fight. The last 30 or 40 feet she just glided in with no resistance. Put her back in the hole, full of eggs. I wanted to get a picture but didn't have time.

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2004, 04:27 PM »
2 winters ago, fishing for walleye with a super light rod and 6lb test. 40" northern with a 23 1/2" girth. took about 15 minutes and at least 5 times just getting the head to the hole. pheeew. on the last heads up, managed to get it to the surface (8" hole) and stuck my leather mitt in the mouth. otherwise it would still be there. caught in 5 feet of water and just over 3 feet of ice. talk about increased heartbeat. grumpy

Offline wisicefishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2004, 04:43 PM »
54" Stugeon.  Caught him on a tip-up in about 20' of water.  He took out over 100' of line.  It took me about 20 min. to land him. Th e best part was that I had to have a budy drill a hole next to the oiginal 10"
hole. I took picture and released him to live for another 100 years. This was on Lake Superior.  My 45" 28lb norther comea in at a close second.  This one on a tip-up also.  I mounted this one though.  It took me about 10 min. to ice.  Lots of fun and luck.

pigpen

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2004, 05:05 PM »
Lake Erie steelhead while jigging for bluegills with 2lb line.  Talk about a singin Drag!!!!!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2004, 08:51 PM »
One 12 1/2 lb. Walleye caught on Lake Michigan in Bay de noc around 1986.  Fishing Perch with 4 lb. test and a 6" hole.  We had to chase down another fishermen to auger a hole next to my tiny 6" hole with a 8" power auger, and then chipped a seam between the 6" and the 8" hole.  Finally guided the fishes head into and up the hole "but" not before it broke off half way up the hole and started to slide down back to freedom.  In went my arm up to my elbow to retrieve my biggest Walleye.  He snagged onto my glove and bit a portion of my finger, but he was iced what seemed like an hour later.  I know Walleyes are like fighting wet socks, but this fish under the conditions was my best.  Fun stuff!  Learned a lot about ice fishing that day. #1 never go to battle with a small drill and #2 bring along an extra sweatshirt even if you don't plan on diving down your hole. -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.