The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Year Round Fishing  (Read 2672 times)

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Year Round Fishing
« on: Mar 26, 2008, 07:24 PM »
I know its been discussed a lot , and that a lot of laws have been changed lately moving toward year round fishing, but i figured with the late ice we are obviously going to have this year , it might be a good time to discuss it and whats next for getting this ridiculous law changed.

i took my shack off the ice today. still 20+" out there...in York County  ::)

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
Re: Year Round Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2008, 07:29 PM »
too bad we don't have that ice here, we can fish year round in most places.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2008, 07:39 PM »
It seems like IF&W is loosening things up gradually.  However, most states just have one rule book for "fishing" and don't draw the big distinction that they do here between ice and open water.  The March 31 ice closure is very restrictive in years like this.  Many states south of here don't have such an early, "no exceptions" closure date.  New York law states that "tip ups may only be operated between November 15 and April 30".  That sort of closure date would be handy this year! 

Offline BoneHead

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2008, 07:45 PM »
I know its been discussed a lot , and that a lot of laws have been changed lately moving toward year round fishing, but i figured with the late ice we are obviously going to have this year , it might be a good time to discuss it and whats next for getting this ridiculous law changed.

i totally agree
Never argue with an idiot, he will just bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2008, 07:59 PM »
Lets get the ball rolling. Anything Butch could could help us out with. Just keep it away from TU!

Offline Fishingfool_2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2008, 08:00 PM »
I finally made it back to camp last weekend, downeast - near Calais.  We had close to 30" in front of camp.  I'm going back this weekend and I'm bumming that I won't be able to fish there again until mid to late May.
Herb

:icefish:

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2008, 08:11 PM »
I kinda have mixed thoughts on this one.  I think fishing is fishing.....but here are some things I was pondering......1) With the way the law is now, the fish get a break from fishermen.......from March 31 till ice out the fish get no pressure......and when Ice is out and the fishermen hit the water, the bite is usually pretty good.....so if we could fish all the time....would the bite be AS good ???......and just the opposite for ice-in.......2) How many idiots would go thru the ice in the late season..... :cookoo: ???.........let me know if I made any sense with this......

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2008, 08:13 PM »
yeah they should just have Jan 1 till ice out for icefishing, because this is 2 years in a row we had fishable ice after the 1st..  and years we don't we should be allowed to open water fish early..

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2008, 08:15 PM »
I kinda have mixed thoughts on this one.  I think fishing is fishing.....but here are some things I was pondering......1) With the way the law is now, the fish get a break from fishermen.......from March 31 till ice out the fish get no pressure......and when Ice is out and the fishermen hit the water, the bite is usually pretty good.....so if we could fish all the time....would the bite be AS good ???......and just the opposite for ice-in.......2) How many idiots would go thru the ice in the late season..... :cookoo: ???.........let me know if I made any sense with this......
no you're a tard!  :cookoo: :cookoo: :wacko: :woot:

Offline nitro04106

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2008, 08:25 PM »
looks like up north in the county there gonna have ice till july, my old lady has to go up next week and her dad says they have so much snow they dont think they`ll be able to plant the tatas come planting season..... i dont even wanna know when mudd season hits up there.......

Offline pfd168

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Living the Dream !
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2008, 08:33 PM »
I don't think they need to loosen up the restrictions. I like the idea of giving the fish a break. If we all did catch and release maybe that would work for anytime after April 1st.

Offline ketchemall

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2008, 08:42 PM »
Iam from michigan our seasons run together no seperate seasons .
We have rules on times to have  permanent shantys off the lakes at last ice march 15th here but you can still take them out all day they just have to be on shore at night  and certain species they close on march 15 so they cant be kept during their spawning period . Then they reopen at the end of april . But we can fish the ice from as soon as  we feel its safe till its unsafe by our own choice . not a law .
We do have a few people go thru but its because of their own ignorance .
Its kinda funny our spearing season for pike and musky is almost like your regular ice fishing season it goes from jan 1st till the last day in feb .
We can start fishing the soft water as soon as the lakes open up .
THAT IS A LAW THAT NEEDS CHANGED IN YOUR STATE YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FISH YEAR ROUND
KETCHEMALL

REMOVED

Offline trout chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2008, 09:26 PM »

I HEREBY DECLARE FISHING BE YEAR ROUND AS OF TODAY DECLARED BY TROUT CHASER

Offline trucker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2008, 09:48 PM »
too bad we don't have that ice here, we can fish year round in most places.
did you even get to fish on any ice this year i have not seen any ice down there besides bud lake
Hang out with the kids or go fishing......Can I take the kids out fishing?

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2008, 04:12 AM »
I think the law needs some revisions. I guess if i want to fish i will go when i want. A heck of a lot more of us than there is of them.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 27, 2008, 04:53 AM »

We have made great strides in our ability to fish in Maine and I truly believe this will eventually happen.  I have advocated "fish to the conditions" for years, especially when I look out my window at fishable ice on Dec. 10th and then again on say April 10th.  Like Jim C. said, just one law book, one set of rules, have a C & R period only if you'd like, but let us fish.  As far as duckhunters points of safety and set dates, just another example of govt. trying to dictate common sense, it is up to the individual to be safe and responsible, wether on the ice or in a canoe at ice-out.... really not much different.

I'm hoping JimP. and Fool make this a primary goal for the MIAA and groups like IS can be a useful tool in helping them reach said goal. :tipup:

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 27, 2008, 06:55 AM »
The only difference I can see right now is, The number of baited hooks allowed. That would be easy to fix.  It's not against the law too, put holes in the ice, walk on, snowmobile on, leave your docks on, ice skate on,...... Just don't get caught fish en after March 31, even though your allowed to fish. Duck hunters will still have to practice safety, for it's not against the law to go boating year round.  :-\
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2008, 07:24 AM »
Ive always had issue with the closing dates   yes there are a few lakes open till the 31st up here  when you guys get quality fishing for most of the year opening on april 1st  rarely happens   you might see open water but to wade thru the snow to get it.......   With the new law changed it appears to me  that it is just another seperation of the state   the populations dictate   rurally prob wont happen...   I think it should be 1 law as in one state  if you can go fishing down there I should be able to go fishing up here at the same time  make catch limits different if they want  the ice issue is allways fubar usually feet of ice still here when you have inches....something is wrong in disgusta
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline yukoncornelius

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2008, 07:36 AM »
We have made great strides in our ability to fish in Maine and I truly believe this will eventually happen.  I have advocated "fish to the conditions" for years, especially when I look out my window at fishable ice on Dec. 10th and then again on say April 10th.  Like Jim C. said, just one law book, one set of rules, have a C & R period only if you'd like, but let us fish.  As far as duckhunters points of safety and set dates, just another example of govt. trying to dictate common sense, it is up to the individual to be safe and responsible, wether on the ice or in a canoe at ice-out.... really not much different.

I'm hoping JimP. and Fool make this a primary goal for the MIAA and groups like IS can be a useful tool in helping them reach said goal. :tipup:

if they aren't going to 'dictate common sense', then can we up the practice of billing folks for rescue, etc. when they display a lack of it?

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2008, 07:40 AM »
After April 1st two trap limit, no after dark fishing because they won't know you fell though the ice until the next morning. Ice shacks off the lake after a couple fall though. No trolling with 4 wheeler along the edge after April 1st. All vehicles will have to have flood insurance after April 1st if they go out on the ice. Maybe this will help out the dead meat in Augusta making up a new law. :)
Steve

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2008, 07:42 AM »
After April 1st two trap limit, no after dark fishing because they won't know you fell though the ice until the next morning. Ice shacks off the lake after a couple fall though. No trolling with 4 wheeler along the edge after April 1st. All vehicles will have to have flood insurance after April 1st if they go out on the ice. Maybe this will help out the dead meat in Augusta making up a new law. :)

Seems fair enough..... ;D

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2008, 07:47 AM »
We have made great strides in our ability to fish in Maine and I truly believe this will eventually happen.   

Our intentions were to have MDIFW Deputy Commissioner Paul Jacques attend this years banquet and touch on this topic, as well as a few others, but unfortunately he has prior commitments.  It is definatly something that the state has made great progress in working towards, but like everything else, needs to be fine tuned with certain restrictions put in place to avoid confrontation with other preset laws.  NLFAB is already in place for many waters, especially in the northern part of the state and many waters in the Rangeley region are closed to icefishing to preserve the quality of fishing in that area.  It's not just a "black and white" issue.....it's gonna take alot of work to determine what should and should not be allowed to be fished.  With the right people involved, and the ACTIVE support of those in favor, we can definately make alot of progress in the future of opportunity.....for both open and hard water fishing.

We do have alot to work with, especially with the input and knowledge of many people from this site.  It's a touchy subject, but with the right efforts and cooperation, there is no reason this goal cannot be achieved.

We've already seen some great improvement in leading to this:

Expanding additional "A" waters and setting daily bag limits on waters that can legally fished before Jan. 1st is a big step....now let's look at the other end of the season and work towards "fishing the conditions" after April 1st.  

Expanding the legal fishing dates through December 31st for certain open waters is another great stride towards this.

I'm really looking forward to the off season and working with the department towards even better opportunities for everyone in the '08/'09 ice fishing season.

We've most recently been in contact with Head Fisheries Biologist John Boland and have asked him to speak at the banquet in the departments behalf.....I'm hoping he will accept our invitation and this subject can be discussed.  Although he's not specifically involved in rule changing issues, he definately has some great knowledge to lead us in the right direction.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #22 on: Mar 27, 2008, 07:51 AM »
Scott, John is a good friend of mine and I'll give him a call if you would like me to.
Steve

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 27, 2008, 08:00 AM »
if they aren't going to 'dictate common sense', then can we up the practice of billing folks for rescue, etc. when they display a lack of it?

Absolutely Tim.....sleds through the ice....hikers lost in the woods.....drunken boating operators.....everyone should be responsible and accountable for their own actions   ;)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2008, 08:01 AM »
Our intentions were to have MDIFW Deputy Commissioner Paul Jacques attend this years banquet and touch on this topic, as well as a few others, but unfortunately he has prior commitments.  It is definatly something that the state has made great progress in working towards, but like everything else, needs to be fine tuned with certain restrictions put in place to avoid confrontation with other preset laws.  NLFAB is already in place for many waters, especially in the northern part of the state and many waters in the Rangeley region are closed to icefishing to preserve the quality of fishing in that area.  It's not just a "black and white" issue.....it's gonna take alot of work to determine what should and should not be allowed to be fished.  With the right people involved, and the ACTIVE support of those in favor, we can definately make alot of progress in the future of opportunity.....for both open and hard water fishing.

Absolutely not "black and water" and would still want substantial protection to our storied and native waters.  Was speaking of some "put in take" ponds, doesn't necessarily have to be all, current class B waters could be C & R prior to 1/1 and after 3/31 even and the class A list can be expended possibly.... again, great strides this past winter w/ the # of class A waters receiving surplus brookies.

Just some thoughts..  It will take time and tweeking but we will get there. :tipup:  

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 27, 2008, 08:04 AM »

We should have been doing this all along, IMO.  I know they say they have the right to bill people for rescues, etc. but do they ever do it ???

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 27, 2008, 08:52 AM »

Those are some scary words Yucon!  >:(
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #27 on: Mar 27, 2008, 09:47 AM »
common sense...enuff said................li ghts on but nobody is home............ :tipup:
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline thebrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "seize the carp"
« Reply #28 on: Mar 27, 2008, 06:25 PM »
Those are some scary words Yucon!  >:(
he defiantly said a mouthfull

Offline Jason

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 28, 2008, 06:47 AM »
I agree for the most part except.  Class A waters and put and take waters could easily be open later for ice fishing.  Closure to ice fishing April 1 is most likely a part of a management tool that IFW uses on certain waters, like wild waters and put and grow waters.  C&R ice fishing has a very high mortality rate due to gut hooked fish dieing after being released.  These lakes can only stand so many days of ice fishing before the fish stock gets to hammered.  But, keeping places open after April 1 should at least be an option for waters that can withstand the added fishing pressure, like most waters that are open prior to Jan 1.

That's my .02

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.