The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Cork hook holders  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Koda

• IceShanty Rookie
Cork hook holders
« on: Mar 26, 2008, 05:36 PM »
Does anyone know where I could get some cork hook holders that self adhere to the outside of your trap reel?  I have been looking for a while but can't seem to find them anywhere.  I remember when I was a kid I saw them in every hardward/sporting goods store.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cork hook holders
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2008, 05:38 PM »
Bean's is the only place I have actually seen them, probably KTP as well ???

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2008, 05:46 PM »
I use the self adhesive window foam strips made by stormking....comes in rolls from Home Depot and Lowes... plus it's cheap
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Koda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2008, 05:50 PM »
Duh!!!!  Great idea! I guess I was so focused on cork I didn't think!  Duh!!! ::)  Will be retrofitted soon.  THanks!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2008, 06:01 PM »
Glad to help... I have had mine on for two full seasons and still don't need to change it yet.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2008, 06:03 PM »
I just bought some at Bean's a week ago. I paid .95 cents for a package of 5, they still had a bunch left.

Offline nitro04106

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2008, 08:28 PM »
I use the self adhesive window foam strips made by stormking....comes in rolls from Home Depot and Lowes... plus it's cheap
good idea jimmy how does that stuff hold on under water?, i alwats have some of that kicking around trying to keep the cold out on my crappie house.......

Offline nitro04106

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2008, 08:29 PM »
I just bought some at Bean's a week ago. I paid .95 cents for a package of 5, they still had a bunch left.
yeah i seen em at the top of the stairs, a couple weeks ago, dont recall what the had for a price but worth the money......

Offline bruce21m

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ITS MILLER TIME
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2008, 08:35 PM »
there is a guy in newport who makes something a little better then that. They are stips of nylon with a gromitt at one end a velcrow on one side. you put your hock throw the gromitt and warp around the inside of the reels and it holds it self with the velcrow. They work great and the dont fall apart like the cork rings.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2008, 08:36 PM »
good idea jimmy how does that stuff hold on under water?, i alwats have some of that kicking around trying to keep the cold out on my crappie house.......

I have not had any problems with it staying stuck. It sure beats sticking the hook back into the spool.  I run it on the outsie edge of the spool.
 I have not seen the cork that you guys get from Bean's any where around here.

Offline Big-Jake

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shackless wonder
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2008, 07:21 AM »
they are called Hookums at beans - I still stick the hook on my reel with the line

Jake
A friend will come and bail you out of jail...But a good friend will be sitting beside you in the cell yelling holy sh** that was fun!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2008, 08:47 AM »
Yeah I did that for years and got fed up fraying the line and having the hook come out and unspooling. Took away valuable fishing time and the fraying on my line bothered me.

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2008, 04:04 PM »
Wally World sells velcro straps in a couple departments that work well on wider spools, they come 6-10 in a pack, some are 12" long for $3-4 with a hole on one end you can set the hook. I wrap mine around the top of the trap while fishing so they don't get lost or wet. ;)

I think they're in the bungie and ratchet strap aisle
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline cootstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here fishy, fishy...
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2008, 08:25 PM »
They sell the Hookums at KTP as well. 

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2008, 06:17 AM »
jimmy, you got pics?? ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2008, 04:15 PM »

Pooley,
Thought you may like the background

Offline nofishin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 28, 2008, 05:20 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Pooley,
Thought you may like the background
thats a great idea.  even better only tree guys would know who Dirr is.  rest his soul

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 29, 2008, 07:26 AM »
thanks jimmy! i had dirr out last night. i was looking at hardiness for chezmoose.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 29, 2008, 10:06 AM »
Back to the thread ... Hope the picture shows what I have been saying.... The adhesive foam is left over from a roll. I don't get coiling on the leaders as long as I don't coil too tight. I tried hooking into the tip-up body, but the line would get caught and tangled no matter how tight the drag.

You know about the mother of invention.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.