Author Topic: try the cicada  (Read 2822 times)

timmo

try the cicada
« on: Jan 20, 2004, 08:31 AM »
theres two lures that should be in everyones tackle box the cicada in gold and green and silver and glow have caught hundreds of pounds of perch, rockbass,all panfish cant resist itt really works so the local bait man raised his prices so high about 4.00 a piece that i now make my own with a little skill and luck mine work as good if not better than the store bought ones has any one used these they work for walleye too no fish can leave it alone  

Offline DaFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:try the cicada
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2004, 11:54 AM »
Do you add a split ring to yours or tie right to the lure??
Thanks
DaFish

timmo

« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2004, 12:34 PM »
some times i use a quick clip and sometimes tie direct once tried youll never look at other lures for ice fishing the same again again i was skeptacal but they have proven that they are indeed the ones to use im talking about the smallest you can get have tried the bigger ones but lost many fish so i stick with the small ones

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2004, 03:37 PM »
I have been using them for several years now and they will get the job done when nothing else will!

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2004, 08:05 PM »
Do you tip them with anything? How do you jig them?

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2004, 08:46 PM »
Timmo, I agree. Bought a couple at Cabela"s this fall and they can catch just about anything. They have extremely sharp hooks and a tremendous amount of action. I got two of the smallest size but would like to try the next size up too. I usually tip them with maggots or wax worms. Lou

Offline lakehopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2004, 08:58 PM »
how big is to big
got a a few silver buddies i thought about given a try but thier 1/4 oz
If ya cant dazzle them with brilliance baffle um with [IMG]

JohnP

« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2004, 09:09 PM »
I have done well on calico's with them. Has anyone had any success using them for trout? I usually end up going right to a swedish pimple for trout and perch.
JP

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2004, 09:35 PM »
thats  a good lure  & I got a few of them

Steve  :'( :'( :'(
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2004, 10:11 PM »
I've done well on them for bass, crappie, perch, chain pickerel, walleye, and even bluegills with them.  I've done well on the large sizes during open water, but through the ice, so far the 1/8 oz. size has been tops.  I've done well with and without bait and let the fish tell me.  I usually jig for panfish with the ultralight stuff and concentrate on that, but when I'm tired of staring at the flasher and perch jerkin', I'll get my butt up and hit every hole that I've cut with the cicada.  I can't tell you how many bass that I've caught on it but it's been a bunch, and jigging aggressively too.  Most hits either come on the fall or when I raise it up to jig, so watch your line.  If it goes slack and you know it's not hitting bottom, set the hook 'cuz it's a fish.  There was a time when I first started using them that I caught at least one fish on each lake that I fished for two ice seasons straight.

Great lure, absolutely a must have.

Timmo, I like your colors too, but also like the silver/glow.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2004, 04:52 AM »
I always tip the hooks with cut bait unless I'm trolling and yes trout love 'em. I use 1/16oz for smelts, 1/8 to 1/4 oz for just about everything else. Gold/Chart and sil/green are my most productive colors but most colors they offer are affective.

missfishylicious

« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2004, 08:58 AM »
I caught a 25" walleye on one last fall .Ive heard the old timers say that the silver buddy is even better.I would think that tipping them with anything would screw up the action but have never had to use anything on them.the only problem i have with this lure is when someone asks me what I'm useing and i have to pronounce it "it's a kickadid,cadydid, kaciedid so I just call it a ca ca lure ,you should see the looks I get HeeeHeee  ;D ;D ;D

windflag

« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2004, 10:13 AM »
how do you make your own? i would like to try it.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2004, 10:31 AM »
I meant to say that the only problem that I've had with them is that sometimes when jigging them aggressively the hooks get fowled up.  I mostly solved part of the problem by placing a drop of superglue in the slot between the dual shaft of each hook.  This prevents that double hook on the belly of the lure from getting caught on the blade. I guess that replacing them with trebles and split rings would also work.  Now, every once in a while, the 2 hooks tangle.  
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2004, 02:48 PM »
When I tip the cicada as with any lure I use a very very small piece of cut bait just for scent, I have not noticed any difference in the action but I'm sure you would if you weren't careful with the amount it would screw it up.

Offline lakehopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2004, 03:01 PM »
how do you make your own? i would like to try it.
i think janns net craft sells them all you have to do is paint and add hooks might check it out
jannsnetcraft.com  ......should take you there
If ya cant dazzle them with brilliance baffle um with [IMG]

timmo

« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2004, 04:34 PM »
wow what a response to my post wow! ;) as for how to make them i start with sheet of copper and cut out the shape of the cicada with my wifes sisors when she is working then i solder some lead to the front part or body i try to make it look like a body i leave the tail as is no lead just the copper then i use a very small drill to make two holes one on the end of or tail and one where the wing or tail meets the body i have to experiment some in a five gallon pail to get the action down just right when its right the rear hook will let the spikes float sorta up and down but nice of all is these thing dont go straight to the bottem but sorta swim off to the side just what you need in some cases to get the fish interested if on store bought ones pinch the hooks together alittle no affect to it but the hooks will not foul up so bad and still do its thing as i said no true ice fisherman should be with out some of these the colors mentioned are the ones to get now ive found another just as good the hali jig the chain idea got me hooked so im looking into making some of them as well you see when your disabled and not to rich you can with a little imagination luck and skill you can still do just about any thing when it comes to making lures for personal use and what fun it is to see some guy with a 1000 dollar tackle box full of stuff and know that my pail is running over with fish and he might not have caught any or half as much what a thrill when he asks me what i use to get those slammer perch i will tell as i have here im not such a bad guy just having fun fishing later timmo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.