Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: USA Today Article on Clear Lake  (Read 787 times)

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: USA Today Article on Clear Lake
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2008, 10:58 PM »
"(From the article)"Sitting outside in the freezing cold, building a little nest for yourself … is the ultimate expression of the strange Midwestern ethic," says James Kaplan, co-author of Guys on Ice, a play set in a Wisconsin ice house that's been performed nationwide.

The sport's longtime image as a haven for men who want to escape their families and consume alcohol is changing, says Byron Eckardt.

What do you mean drink alcohol????  I've never been out on the ice- drinking a captain and a coke, or whiskin' away a beer, or takin' shots of tequila- to show people youre a man, or sliding cases of beer 100 yards to your friends who can't wait, or watching the idiot guy who drove his truck over 11 inches of ice, or endlessly reading the "iceshanty.com forum of iowa" to have a better time while fishing.  Either way ice fishing is a way of life... not an article scribed on to paper for lack of "better" reading. 
So I say: [go to "gill"] managing editor until you've ice-fished the hard water lakes, ponds, and rivers of Iowa... fool.
Pool 9 Pro

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2008, 11:47 PM »
The writer probably thinks it's all like the movie Grumpy Old Men.  ::) ::) ::)
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2008, 06:55 AM »
I was fishing in my portable when they was out taking pictures of the grumpy old men shack. I couldn't figure out why the dnr was out taking all those pictures of that shack. After that they parked beside me and then I thought I was going to get checked. I suppose I could of went out to see what they was up to but then I would of had to put my coat on and get cold. ;D

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2008, 12:12 PM »
Or hittin those ice heaves at 30 mile an hr and spillin ur beer! :laugh:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.