The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: i need help on a vexlar  (Read 3902 times)

Offline timetwofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
i need help on a vexlar
« on: Mar 03, 2008, 09:07 PM »
 there is so many out there so i bet that a lot of you guys has got one
 I've never used one so i need some info on what kind i should buy and
 the best place to buy it and how much should spend on one thanks t2f

Offline Smitty71

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: i need help on a vexlar
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2008, 09:14 PM »
Let us know what you will be fishing for, what depths you mostly fish, and what you would like to spend on one.  They range from $250 all the way up to near $500. 

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2008, 09:18 PM »
You might wanna take a look at the Marcum Vx-1. Its a great unit for the price and costs less than a comparable vexilar. There both great flashers but you can usually pick up a new Vx-1 for $250 or less. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose. they're awesome  :tipup:

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:07 AM »
Only thing about the marcums is they throw out LOTS of interference, more than the vex's i have found, i have the cheepest model of the vex, vex fl-8, works great, was using it in 80 FOW the other day.  BUt my favorite vex i've ever used would have to be the fl-20, the auto zoom is REAL nice, but takes a little getting used to first.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:12 AM »
I bought an fl-8 from an ice fisherman's x-wife. It cost me 100 bucks.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline khaaxma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:13 AM »
I have hade both the Vexilar FL-8 and the FL-20 which I am now using. I really like the FL-20 because it is easier to see and the bottom-zoom feature is great. I plan to get the dual-beam transdeucer for next year.
I am blessed to live in an area where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Offline TipupNomad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:15 AM »
I have an fl-8 right now that I really like. However, the 18 and the 20 have definite and favorable advantages. The 18 and the 20 are both much more precise at depth. I have had my 8 in a hole with the jig seemingly right on a fish. Then, I took my 8 out and put my buddy's 18 in and I was actually a foot below the fish. (the gain was the same on both)

Although they are more expensive the 18 and 20 do offer better utility.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:27 AM »
Any one will be a huge help and great tool,I myself have the FL-8,I got my son the FL-8 SE.We fish mostly for panfish, in shallow water,mostly 25 fow or less.The FL-8's are very easy to use and for the most part a well built machine.There the first ones vexlar came out with and many guys still use them,my buddy just sold a FL-8 with a new battery for $150 check out used ones,now that ice season winding down.

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:38 AM »
u will really like the zoom if you get it, i hole hop a lot and see a lot more fish than most people without a zoom
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline Grizzly Rider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2008, 08:26 AM »
I have the FL18 ultra-pak with the dual 9/19 degree transducers plus it has the bottom zoom.  We were up fishing Crystal the last 2 weekends and was clearly able to see a tiny jig on the bottom in 180 fow.   

The FL18 ultra-pak is kind of expensive, I paid $475 for mine at Jays and its 3 years old.  I will not fish without it and one time got to a lake and realized that I forgot it, 20 mile return trip to go get it, they are that good.............as I won't go on the ice wiithout it.

Regardless of what type of electronics you buy it will make a better fisherman out of you.
Ride a grizzly or walk......

Offline blueyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2008, 09:36 AM »
i own marcum lx 1 guide series and love it got off e-bay for 110.00 may be a good place to start just know how much your willing to spend. friends both have vexlar and they get much more interference than the marcum plus marcum guide series also has bottom zoom feature witch is very handy. any brand does just as well to find and see fish in real time. 8)
                    hunting for Ole marble eyes

Offline khaaxma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2008, 09:42 AM »
I have the FL18 ultra-pak with the dual 9/19 degree transducers plus it has the bottom zoom.  We were up fishing Crystal the last 2 weekends and was clearly able to see a tiny jig on the bottom in 180 fow.   

The FL18 ultra-pak is kind of expensive, I paid $475 for mine at Jays and its 3 years old.  I will not fish without it and one time got to a lake and realized that I forgot it, 20 mile return trip to go get it, they are that good.............as I won't go on the ice wiithout it.

Regardless of what type of electronics you buy it will make a better fisherman out of you.
I have forgotten to pack my good boots, but there isn't much chance that I would forget my Vexilar.
I am blessed to live in an area where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Offline chezmoose

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2008, 10:33 AM »
We are also thinking of getting a flasher. Most of the lakes we fish are shallow, less than 20 fow.
Do any work better than others in the shallow lakes?

Official Treasurer of the M.I.R.C.
                                    Membership dues payable now

Offline fishinainteasy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2008, 10:47 AM »
Get the vexilar and buy the s-cable
Fish Hard Or Stay Home!

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2008, 10:51 AM »
whats an s-cable?
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline southend517

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saginaw Bay MI
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2008, 10:55 AM »
I love my x67 - I wish it had video game mode for slow days (pac-man or tetris or even a mp3 player)

Offline walleygod

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleygod
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2008, 11:16 AM »
there is so many out there so i bet that a lot of you guys has got one
 I've never used one so i need some info on what kind i should buy and
 the best place to buy it and how much should spend on one thanks t2f
i have the fl-18 pro pack 2 i absolutly love it . i got on clearance for 350 tax incl . what ever you do get one with auto zoom. would;nt fish with out one good luck  :thumbsup: :icefish:
if 1 fish farts it gives them all away

Offline fishinainteasy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2008, 11:26 AM »
s-cable allows better clarity in shallow water...vexilar.com has the info on the site.
Fish Hard Or Stay Home!

Offline its an addiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2008, 11:35 AM »
s-cable allows better clarity in shallow water...vexilar.com has the info on the site.

I thought the s cable was only for the old fl 8s.  The newer ones fl 12,18,20 all have a low power mode which is exactly what the s cable does for the fl 8s.  Atleast that was my understanding from my research.

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2008, 03:52 PM »
Get an FL-18 Genz pack at reedsports.com

Best price i have seen, the 18 has the zoom, low power, and bottom lock, and the genz pack design is cheap and tough!
This is my first season with a flasher and i caught fish from the first hole i dropped it down!
Vexilar.com has a buncha informative videos, and i had no confusion running my vew from the minute i started it.  The units also come with helpfull a dvd that teaches you everything you need.

Buy one and never look back

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2008, 05:57 PM »
Definately the fl18 or 20

Offline c2223

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:36 PM »
Why not go digital like the rest of the world, your cell phone, your tv, gps ect! Showdown Digital Fish Finder, forget the lights!

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:49 PM »
I have a 13 year old FL8. I fish 30 plus days. Its a work horse. I have only replaced the transducer. There is a crystal in there that can break. I also got a new Marcum LX5 this year. I feel that marcums perform better. They also are made in the good old USA. Vexilar is made by a company called Hondex, not in the good old USA.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline blueyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2008, 08:16 PM »
I have a 13 year old FL8. I fish 30 plus days. Its a work horse. I have only replaced the transducer. There is a crystal in there that can break. I also got a new Marcum LX5 this year. I feel that marcums perform better. They also are made in the good old USA. Vexilar is made by a company called Hondex, not in the good old USA.
I agree if you cant marcum u cant catch em :laugh: :laugh: :bow:
                    hunting for Ole marble eyes

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #24 on: Mar 05, 2008, 08:14 AM »
Why not go digital like the rest of the world, your cell phone, your tv, gps ect! Showdown Digital Fish Finder, forget the lights!

A lot of people used to do with digital locator's until they figured out that when anyone turned on a Vexilar, their digitals went haywire because the flasher puts so much power into the water. All they would see on their screen was ant races. The flasher is the ideal machine for ice fishing. That's why it's strongly recommended to buy this item before a camera if you're interested in both (unless you can afford both at the same time). But with quality electronics you're talking a $1,000.00 bill for both with the accessories (actually around $850.00, but you had better at least count on taking your wife out for dinner and shopping after spending that kind of jack for ice fishing!).

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.