Author Topic: Valpo Ice 3-3-08  (Read 925 times)

Offline FOOTDOC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Valpo Ice 3-3-08
« on: Mar 03, 2008, 07:13 PM »
About 3PM, we went out back on the lake and found it to be about 4" thinner than yesterday afternoon.  I measured it yesterday with the aluminum handle on one of those orange ice scoops and the ice was the full length of the handle.  Today it was about half a handle.  So, we lost 4-6" with the rain and wind.  With the forecast, it is going to be ok thru the week.  Fished 17' of water and ended up with 37 gills on bee moths and small pink/white demon here in Shorewood.  It got significantly colder as the evening went on.

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
Re: Valpo Ice 3-3-08
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2008, 08:55 PM »
Thanks for the post its amazing how fast it can go.
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2008, 09:04 PM »
As long as there is at least 4 inches I feel safe.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2008, 09:30 PM »
On Summit sunday we had 3 1/2" and guys were going through. When we started the lake was locked up and tight, as it warmed up we started getting water on top. Then around 2:00 PM we noticed the water was disappearing, soaking into the ICE. It got soft fast we wanted to stay for the evening bite but left at 5:00PM. We saw 2 guys go for a swim,that will make you ask yourself "don't ya think ya have enough gills for the year LOL". I just know if we stayed 2 more hours we would have been wet also. Guys this time of year inches of ice don't mean anything 4" can swimming ice. Be CAREFULL and carry you ropes and picks,and most of all don't go alone.

Offline SOUHT SIDE BOB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2008, 09:32 PM »
Hey footdoc thanks for the info  this is the guy with the big ego  

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2008, 10:15 PM »
When are we going next Doc, would like to try it one more time!! C-ya, Crappie Rob.
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2008, 08:50 AM »
On Summit sunday we had 3 1/2" and guys were going through. When we started the lake was locked up and tight, as it warmed up we started getting water on top. Then around 2:00 PM we noticed the water was disappearing, soaking into the ICE. It got soft fast we wanted to stay for the evening bite but left at 5:00PM. We saw 2 guys go for a swim,that will make you ask yourself "don't ya think ya have enough gills for the year LOL". I just know if we stayed 2 more hours we would have been wet also. Guys this time of year inches of ice don't mean anything 4" can swimming ice. Be CAREFULL and carry you ropes and picks,and most of all don't go alone.
Have seen 6-8 inches of bad ice- I want 4 inches of clear shaven ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.