Author Topic: Rainbows today  (Read 4310 times)

Offline mtwhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rainbows today
« on: Mar 02, 2008, 11:19 PM »
Out today to a lake with known 6 pounders in it hoping for said fish and this is how it worked

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Re: Rainbows today
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2008, 08:42 AM »
Good old Bubbas
Great looking fish and pix :thumbsup:

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2008, 09:58 AM »
man those fish got lots of freckles! Seems the further north we go in Sask..the more freckles our fish have...is this true in B.C. as well? Here is an example of a southern rainbow from Lk. Deifenbaker.She is a true giant also.....lacking those freckles though. I just happened upon this fellow while fishing one day....not the fish...the person...this fish is 36lbs.

Offline mtwhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2008, 11:43 AM »
Is that the fish the I.G.F.A. isnt accepting as the new record because its a triploid? Nice natural wild fish NOT!!!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2008, 12:06 PM »
Is that the fish the I.G.F.A. isnt accepting as the new record because its a triploid? Nice natural wild fish NOT!!!

What, that's a chrome bullet for sure!!!! :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Offline duke1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2008, 12:13 PM »
theres a few of those caught every year, looks like that one was near the dam site as it appears to be moving water (river side) there is a trout farm which has haad some breaks in there stageing ponds in the past years and this yr but it was kept very very quite.. i agree that a trout this large needs more testing to see if its a true trout and not a hormone enhanced silver bullet. .. But holy crap it would be great to catch one.  ;D

Offline tbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2008, 02:51 PM »
NIce! They are a dark strain hey! Especially the two males :o

Offline fish time

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • i live to fish
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2008, 02:59 PM »
man those fish got lots of freckles! Seems the further north we go in Sask..the more freckles our fish have...is this true in B.C. as well? Here is an example of a southern rainbow from Lk. Deifenbaker.She is a true giant also.....lacking those freckles though. I just happened upon this fellow while fishing one day....not the fish...the person...this fish is 36lbs.
(Image removed from quote.)

wow thats a fat fish :o
from big ice to small ice i will be out there me and my bumpa

Offline fish-slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go big or go home.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2008, 07:56 PM »
Nice bows looks like you had a good day. :thumbsup: :icefish:
TEAM BC

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2008, 07:57 PM »
ya good lookin bows- looks like a lil slushy out there- i wonder what the few feet of snow is going to do to the ice conditions this week- mite be a mess out there!
~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2008, 08:03 PM »
real nice trout pics.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2008, 11:00 PM »

I am not sure if this fellow entered this fish or not...there are bigger fish caught than this. I know one fish was being entered @ 42.? lbs. The fish in the picture was probably not a penned fish. Most penned fish that escaped from the Fish Farm have their fins rubbed off along with missing fins some of the time.From what i can see of the picture..i see no rubbed or missing fins. Anyway ..she is a dilly and just thought i would show her to ya all and also to get some insight as to why some trout have so many spots ..and some not.Sorry not sure what a triploid is..can someone tell me please?

Offline tbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2008, 12:58 AM »
real nice trout pics.

Nice fish; however, it might have been more appropriate to start your own tread rather than say hey look at this huge fish. They are all nice fish but separate topics none the less. Good work to both of you.

Offline Gamagator

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hang on it’s hard water season!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2008, 02:49 AM »
Those are some nice trout :thumbsup: They sure have a dark speckel pattern on them.

Offline mtwhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:22 AM »
NIce! They are a dark strain hey! Especially the two males :o
Ya they are Blackwater strain we actaully had to cross the Blackwater on the way in.

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2008, 06:59 PM »

just curious where you have heard this information? I dont understand why you think this fish should not be a record, it escaped from the hatchery at a young age and grew to gigantic proportions. There are plenty of triploids in BC and they dont get nearly as big, so it is obviously a monster fish regardless of it being a triploid or not. I just wish AB would start stocking triploids into a few lakes  :laugh:

Offline Bill Dance

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Remember, always keep both hands on your rod!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2008, 09:32 PM »
The reason these triploid fish are so big is that they are genetically engineered so they can't reproduce, so if they can't spawn and burn off the fat they just gain weight plus they are a farmed fish so that's good for the profit.
Now I don't have anything against these fish as I would love to catch one myself! :o But to class these fish with the regular rainbow isn't really fair. I think they should be a class of there own but that's my opinion anyway.

Those are nice bows mtwhite!
 :tipup: :icefish:

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2008, 11:00 PM »
The reason these triploid fish are so big is that they are genetically engineered so they can't reproduce, so if they can't spawn and burn off the fat they just gain weight plus they are a farmed fish so that's good for the profit.
Now I don't have anything against these fish as I would love to catch one myself! :o But to class these fish with the regular rainbow isn't really fair. I think they should be a class of there own but that's my opinion anyway.

Those are nice bows mtwhite!

yes I understand that they cannot reproduce, however I am saying that quite a few lakes now have these fish stocked into them(you have probably fished a lake in BC with them, I know I have and I dont even fish out there very often) so for a 43 pounder to come out of a lake where it survived in the lake for its whole life(not broodstock) I think it is fair for it to be the new world record.
However, like you say...they could have their own category, but if triploids have their own category..I think steelhead should too, cause they arent "regular" rainbows. Thats just my opinion  ;)

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2008, 01:46 AM »
as far as i have i have read/heard(and according to the anglers who broke the record)  the IGFA does allow triploids, and the sask record will become the new all tackle world record. i am with kyle on this one, if triploids are not allowed in the record books neither should steelhead.  seems because these fish are caught in a prairie resevoir and not west of the rockies everyone likes to question the how valid the record is, if it was a BC caught triploid it would probably not be an issue.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline mtwhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2008, 02:05 AM »
I too think they should have thier own catagory in the books these fish are created in a lab and to compare them with steelhead witch are a product af natural evolution is wrong and yes I would still feel the same way about the fish if it was caught in B.C. I have no real problem with triploids catch them all the time and I'm glad they are there to catch but I don't think I'm alone in thinking they shouldn't be considered natural fish.

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2008, 08:41 AM »
 i got this email not long ago of a massive elk- world record- but was not in the record book because it was a farmed elk. so im not sure if fish would be the same way. Even if this elk was killed west of the rockies i somehow feel that it still would not have entered the record book.
 its still a type of rainbow as with steelies, but if it was ever fed by a human after being a fry or was somehow
in question of being "raised" by humans throughout its life then i dont believe that it should count. I think that it should count as a record if it was not tho, triploid or not, just my 2 cents.
 what id like is to catch a pig like that on a fly rod!!! :)
ps.- get out there and catch a few more fish mtwhite, but remember to drill a BIG hole for them cuz i hear there are triploids all over bc now :o
~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

Offline mtwhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2008, 10:04 AM »
 ;) Like I said I have no problem with tripliods thats probably almost exclusively what I catch in the winter and I wish ours got that big, I think at record sizes however it is an important distinction to make.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 05, 2008, 11:31 AM »
There are two facts that i must present to you all. The large rainbow in the picture on the first page of this thread could be in fact, wild. I will explain.
I have been told by the Fish Farm staff, that all penned trout that they raise only have a shelf life, or life, of 5 yrs. maximim.If this is in fact true,then the fish in the picture above, must be wild as she would have died a few yrs. ago when 500,000 of them escaped 10 or so yrs. ago. Could a single fish escape..i suppose so but they never had any fish close to this size or that could have grown this size, this fast.
The other fact that makes me wonder if she is wild is the fact that ALL fish that are pen raised,at least at this farm, have rubbed fins that,once rubbed,seem to last a lifetime. There fins become rubbed due to overcrowding in the pens, which starts at a very young age. This fish pictured above, has no abnormal or rubbed fins.I seen her in person and always make a point of checking. I guess it is possible after a few yrs., that the fins could come back.This still does not explain how this fish was able to live beyond the fish farms age of 5 yrs. Maybe the FF is speculating only. I am no expert on this matter ...just my two cents worth.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 05, 2008, 11:40 AM »
Nice fish; however, it might have been more appropriate to start your own tread rather than say hey look at this huge fish. They are all nice fish but separate topics none the less. Good work to both of you.

I just pulled up the first pic of a southern trout i could find. I do not have the time ..sometimes..to mill through photos. My fish portfolio is short. My comment about the size was secondary. Every one likes to see a freak of nature...ah..erh.....t he topic changed anyway...ah..er...mode rator jump in quick..ah...er..doe..d oe..just trying to enjoy myself...doe ...doe

Offline Bill Dance

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Remember, always keep both hands on your rod!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 05, 2008, 11:33 PM »
yes I understand that they cannot reproduce, however I am saying that quite a few lakes now have these fish stocked into them(you have probably fished a lake in BC with them, I know I have and I dont even fish out there very often) so for a 43 pounder to come out of a lake where it survived in the lake for its whole life(not broodstock) I think it is fair for it to be the new world record.
However, like you say...they could have their own category, but if triploids have their own category..I think steelhead should too, cause they arent "regular" rainbows. Thats just my opinion  ;)
Ok I'm going to take one more crack at this. A triploid is made by early in the egg sack stage. They apply either heat or pressure to add another chromosome to the mix so instead of having xx or xy like the diploids, they have xxx or xxy and that's what make them triploids. So it's highly unlikely they are kept for broodstock as there is nothing there to reproduce. So I think they need to find out if this world record fish is a triploid or diploid. If it is a diploid then most certainly give him the record but if it's a triploid then it should be in a triploid rainbow record not wild rainbow. I think he should have recognition of catching a big fish with that kind of lb test line. :clap: :thumbsup: :bow:
As far as steelhead goes I realize that they are making triploids from them as well so yes I agree they shouldn't count as a record fish for the regular steelhead.
I think if people keep making new strains they should be prepared to make changes in the record books to make it fair for all.

Offline mtwhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 06, 2008, 02:10 AM »
I just pulled up the first pic of a southern trout i could find. I do not have the time ..sometimes..to mill through photos. My fish portfolio is short. My comment about the size was secondary. Every one likes to see a freak of nature...ah..erh.....t he topic changed anyway...ah..er...mode rator jump in quick..ah...er..doe..d oe..just trying to enjoy myself...doe ...doe
We're all just trying to enjoy ourselves as you put it sorry if you feel you need for the moderator to step in.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2008, 03:28 AM »
No need to jump in....its all pretty civil with no name calling. Everyone on here is entitled to their own opinion ;)

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 07, 2008, 10:08 AM »
oh...im just ..........fartin around..wishin i didnt have the flu...wishin i was on the ice. Wishin i was fishin with

BILL DANCE!

Offline hd79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 10, 2008, 06:13 PM »
that is a great fish.

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline hd79

• Team IceShanty Regular

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.