Author Topic: Just the way it is  (Read 1387 times)

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
Just the way it is
« on: Mar 02, 2008, 12:50 PM »
Isnt it so true that when you are paying the least attention to your line a fish will hit it and you will miss the fish. :%$#!:. Share you stories about time when this has happend to you in the past.
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

Offline nontypical

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Just the way it is
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2008, 12:58 PM »
man i could i write a book ;D ;D

Offline pan-fisher-man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2008, 01:06 PM »
haha...seems like a too could write a book...well i was fishing a tournament on wamplers lake this winter, when my phone rang so i answered it and was NOT paying attention to my pole or lure(i was sight fishing) when i looked down for a second and saw a whopper redear chompin on my lure, but by the time i yanked it was gone...if the bite is slow ill always tell a friend or myself to get out the phone and start calling peole...lol..
-------   --------
          /
         / FISH THE HARD STUFF
        /
   ><>

Offline Ice Freek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2008, 01:07 PM »
Yeah or open a beer or take a pee! works every time!

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2008, 01:15 PM »
This just recently happened to me & this stuff does happen to me quite a bit....
{Brought from another thread, where I posted it earlier....}
  I was out last nite 4:30 -7:45, I was thinking the front coming in, might make for a good bite at that time, But  I only had 1 bite. Sure enough, the one time I go to my truck after setting up, to get rid of some processed beverages(< hint) I  hear the rattle reel spin, & by the time I made it back into the shanty, the fish was gone.

I'll bet it was a record breaker too.. They always are, aren't they???
:D
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline Ice Freek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2008, 01:19 PM »
At least I'm not the only one! It seems like once i "break the seal" I might as well quit jigging and just drink more, I miss all of the D^mN fish anyway!

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2008, 01:23 PM »
MYwife works at a hospital & while smiling,she told me she'd could certainly help me out with a catheter, if I thought it would help. :(

I respectfully Declined... Rather miss the fish & tell the stories.. ;)

Gotta luv her, has a great sense of humor, that one does... :D
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2008, 03:09 PM »
haha...seems like a too could write a book...well i was fishing a tournament on wamplers lake this winter, when my phone rang so i answered it and was NOT paying attention to my pole or lure(i was sight fishing) when i looked down for a second and saw a whopper redear chompin on my lure, but by the time i yanked it was gone...if the bite is slow ill always tell a friend or myself to get out the phone and start calling peole...lol..
I said the same exact thing yesterday out on the ice

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2008, 03:33 PM »
Haha, the other day, I had a Hali with a live minnow down about a foot off the bottom in a shallow pond, with the Vex running it. I had some fish down near the bottom, and nothing was coming up to get my jig, so I got a bit distracted and decided to go check my tipups. When I was getting up, I saw a fish come in close, and I was about 4 feet away when he hit. I lurched over, set the hook, and fish on. Somewhere in the middle of the fight, I became distracted once again by a noise, and off pops the fish! If at first you don't fail, try again!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2008, 03:45 PM »
I  have noticed it so much I stated incorporating it into my jigging rythm, Happened so many times while I am sitting there jigging if I turn to talk to someone (kinda stop jigging) or or make an awkward movement with rod in hand to grab something or reach for a beer or whathave you WHAM ! And to be honest I think thats just it, it's the change from the steady jigging to an abrupt motion one dirrection that triggers the hit. Who knows ? Thats why it's called fishing and not catching I guess.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2008, 03:47 PM »
Yup, had it this mornin, pulled an all nighter last night, the guy i was fishin next to was way asleep, he was getting crazy bited, i tried pullin a fish up for em, but then figured, naw, i'll just let em sleep, and started jiggin harder to get the fish to come to my side!

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2008, 05:48 AM »
I know how all of you feel

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2008, 07:50 AM »
All you have to do is drill another hole, untangle the wifes rig, stand up to just stretch, look up to see how many more folks are on the ice, etc. ...
Definitely keeps you honest!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2008, 10:44 AM »
st the rod down the other day after 1 1/2 without a hit, unzipped my pants and turned to see my rod slowly bounce then stand straight up and head down the hole.....GONE.....mhm got caught a little wet handed haha.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2008, 12:31 PM »
Thats a good one lotw  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2008, 06:28 PM »
worst part is its true...Happened on sat. and a bunch of other people were fishing with us....lets just say there was a little laughing going on for a while.....well its monday night and some are still laughing.

Offline c2223

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2008, 06:38 PM »
I am guilty too, I think if we all look at what we are doing we are Jigging To Much!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2008, 12:34 PM »
i made a rod holder to deadstick with.(see pic below) only once was i near the darn thing when a fish hit! never fails! ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.