Author Topic: Rotten Spring Ice  (Read 1888 times)

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
Rotten Spring Ice
« on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:11 PM »
How do YOU determine if rotten spring ice is safe enough to go out on? I've read lots of safety notes around on the web, and the general consensus is... whenever it looks even remotely in question, go back home.  Good conservative advice,  but when do you give up and throw in the towel?

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
Re: Rotten Spring Ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:20 PM »
well the way i see it is if your unsure, let it be. for safety sake.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline slabcrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:25 PM »
Its one of those things you just KNOW.  But big time clues are:  the ice turns a different color than what it used to be; a much darker and ominous color than usual tells me its just about to bust up.  Also the tell tale sign for me to get the hell off the ice is when I'm drilling a hole and my auger spits out chunks of ice instead of shaving; that tells me the stuff is rotten and it is not strong any longer, pull the tilts and skidattle.

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:26 PM »
How do YOU determine if rotten spring ice is safe enough to go out on? I've read lots of safety notes around on the web, and the general consensus is... whenever it looks even remotely in question, go back home.  Good conservative advice,  but when do you give you and throw in the towel?
Well All I can say is just because it looks thick doesn't mean it is safe. Last year in March I was fishing on 7-8 inches of ice with 6 guys and we were out there all day in 40 degree temps. The ice seemed to honeycomb on us as the day went on and in I went! only in 4' of water but still an eye opener and the hole was only as big as my feet were. If the ice does not look glassy under the slush don't go on it. If you do, make sure you have all the essentials with you as well as someone to fish with.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:58 PM »
Its one of those things you just KNOW.  But big time clues are:  the ice turns a different color than what it used to be; a much darker and ominous color than usual tells me its just about to bust up.  Also the tell tale sign for me to get the hell off the ice is when I'm drilling a hole and my auger spits out chunks of ice instead of shaving; that tells me the stuff is rotten and it is not strong any longer, pull the tilts and skidattle.

My very first sign is whether or not I need something to help get out on what should be safe ice.
If I need to use a plank to cross more than 3 feet from shore, "DING" (first alert).
If I drill a test hole 5 feet from shore, and it's less than 5 inches of ice or 6 inches of frozen slush, "DING" (second alert).
I don't wait for a third alert, because that would be the sound of ice cracking all around me.

I won't take unneccesary chances on the ice, because I want to be around to fish a long time.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2008, 01:55 PM »
Get the ol spud out for late season ice check it often for honneycombing and just use your head about it no fish is worth losing a life over.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2008, 02:05 PM »
be smart about it. If it looks iffy do not try it!!!!!. go out two steps and drill a whole. then examine the ice. is it honeycomb?? is it black?? if it looks good then go ahead but dont go alone!!! also i suggest staying in shallow water

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • give me cold temps and I'll keep em comming
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2008, 02:23 PM »
The honeycombing effect is a tell tale sign that ice is about to go.  If I see to many lines and it sort of sinks as I try to get on it I call it quits.  I fished last year in south east Michigan in March the temp was 65 degrees and there was 8" or so of ice just starting to get the honeycomb effect, awesome day but next day it was a no go.   

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2008, 02:49 PM »
Dang,  We've had 2 weeks of 40-50' temps, Ice was a good 18+ inches, but last weekend I noticed near shore a slight yellowing color to the surface ice.  Temps have been warm all week too, dropping between 15-20 at night and 40-50 in the day.  Friday will not drop below freezing at night, but will be the first day like that since fall. Also its a pretty large reservoir and they are dropping the water in anticipation for spring melt so its kinda hard to tell where the shore ends and water under the ice begins, and if the ice is heavy and sagging, or if its just breaking up on the shore because of the drop in water level....  I'm sure I'll know when I get there and drill a test hole just off shore in 4 fow or so. 

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2008, 02:57 PM »
If small air bubbles start to form in the ice. Also if i need a plank to get on the ice from shore, i usually throw in the towel.

chimo

« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2008, 04:59 PM »
I'm with slabcrab, if you start getting chunks of ice instead of shavings it's about done.  Nice to have a spud, pics, life jacket etc on those days.  good fishin

chimo

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2008, 05:05 PM »
if you should adventure out my best advice to you is to at least carry around your neck a pair of spikes.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2008, 05:07 PM »
Dang,  We've had 2 weeks of 40-50' temps, Ice was a good 18+ inches, but last weekend I noticed near shore a slight yellowing color to the surface ice.  Temps have been warm all week too, dropping between 15-20 at night and 40-50 in the day.  Friday will not drop below freezing at night, but will be the first day like that since fall. Also its a pretty large reservoir and they are dropping the water in anticipation for spring melt so its kinda hard to tell where the shore ends and water under the ice begins, and if the ice is heavy and sagging, or if its just breaking up on the shore because of the drop in water level....  I'm sure I'll know when I get there and drill a test hole just off shore in 4 fow or so. 

Based on this description, be very careful...

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2008, 06:36 PM »
All the above is good advice, sounds like they all have "been there - done that".

Offline acer7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2008, 07:23 PM »
you can wast a weekends fishing if the ice is rotten but not gone.  >:(  Man dose that suck.

Offline fisher2hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2008, 07:35 PM »
The honeycombing effect is a tell tale sign that ice is about to go.  If I see to many lines and it sort of sinks as I try to get on it I call it quits.  I fished last year in south east Michigan in March the temp was 65 degrees and there was 8" or so of ice just starting to get the honeycomb effect, awesome day but next day it was a no go.   

i was out there that weekend on wamplers caught some nice fish
___0-------
              /
             /
            / 
-------   -------
          /
         /
        /
   ><>

Offline jjmoser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • give me cold temps and I'll keep em comming
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2008, 10:56 AM »
i was out there that weekend on wamplers caught some nice fish
yea that was a blast was it not?  I fished one pole and could not keep it in the water, my wife was too scared and stayed in the car and drank corona's until she had enough courrage to join me.  We where on North lake.  Does Wamplers heat up last ice? I herd by the a frame.

Offline Brooks

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2008, 03:03 PM »
use an iron bar-spud  to test the ice.try to poke a hole -if it goes through in 2 or 3 trys-get off . the Inuit use a poker like this to test for good footing.

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2008, 03:59 PM »
yOU ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION. iF IT IS ROTTEN WHY EVEN TAKE THE CHANCE AND GET ON???????

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2008, 05:15 PM »
Well if your not sure you throw a cheap jig of yours on the ice(when he isnt looking) and say to him: "hey look someone dropped a jig on the ice", and naturally he will go pick it up.  If he falls through = unsafe ice.  If not then drill away. ;D >:D :woot: :cookoo:
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.