The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Vintage Ice Fishing Equipment  (Read 34528 times)

Offline Icecracka46

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My favorite fishing partner
Re: Vintage Ice Fishing Equipment
« Reply #90 on: Dec 07, 2009, 06:54 PM »
I'm thinking of setting them up as some sort of display in the garage. They might even see a little ice time this season for S**** & Giggles.

Here is a set of tilts i rescued from being firewood! They were my late uncles whom i grew up fishing with. When i saw them i asked my cousin what are you doing with them? He said nothing, they're kindlin would you like one? I said NO!!!!!
CAN I HAVE ALL OF THEM?
 These tilts mean alot to me and to acquire them was awesome! I have a complete set of 5 and i aslo want to make a display of them in my gameroom. Check em out.
This is the trip,the flag sits in this cradle

Sorry these pics don't show the tilts age very well
The craftsmaship on the tilts is pretty cool. Maybe you guys have seen or used a set like this?

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #91 on: Dec 07, 2009, 07:00 PM »
I'm thinking of setting them up as some sort of display in the garage. They might even see a little ice time this season for S**** & Giggles.
i got 5 oldtimers on ebay was mad at first but saw the years of woo hoo in them their in my game room although i dont believe in ghosts youd swear you can hear            flaggggggggggggggggggg gggggggggggggggggggggg ggggggggggggggg!
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Ziffle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Dec 07, 2009, 07:29 PM »
Old Cusk traps.

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #93 on: Dec 07, 2009, 09:50 PM »
Definately!  Very cool!

Hey, NewB... If we ever meet up on the ice and you want to give it up for a week or so, I can take that puppy home to my shop and I am sure, get it idleing like it where new!   ;D

Let me know!

Real nice buddy!

Flaggs!

Its been running good so far this year.   I think that the ring on the piston may be worn,  I may take you up on the offer though. 

I pray that we get out on some ice soon!!!!
, , ,

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #94 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:11 AM »
Guys,

You gotta check out the Auger in this guys e-bay! It is the first time I have ever seen an auger that actually pulls a huge plug of ice (10") out of the ice!  Wicked Pis(h)sa!

I'm VERY tempted, but have new tilts to buy from my buddy, the indian (hill guy, Mike Devilles)  ;D

http://shop.ebay.com/house_of_decoys/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Thanks for the pointer BogMan  :clap: :clap:

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline Dozindoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:57 PM »
Come on now someone else out there must have some old gear to show off.Just located somemore old traps that used to be my grandfathers.Now i just gotta convince my brother to give 1 or 2 of them up.They should definately be in the 100 year old range/cant wait to snag em.I will be posting those pics also when i get them.So anyways lets see some more stuff guys/Hate to loose this posting.
SOMETHING ABOUT YOU AND ME & VW's that make's me SHIVER ;D ;D ;D OH YEAH THE LOVE BUG ;D ;D ;D

Offline DOUBLE-D

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GOOD FRIENDS,GOOD FOOD,COUNT ME IN!!!!
« Reply #96 on: Dec 09, 2009, 11:02 PM »
Found this old game law in my dads garage at the bottom of an old ice fishing box underneath some vintage ice tipups. DOUBLE-d   

Offline DOUBLE-D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Dec 09, 2009, 11:04 PM »
Backside of game laws. Double-D     

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #98 on: Dec 10, 2009, 08:25 AM »
d.d.d.dd.d.dd..dd Double-D!

Great to here from you!  I hope all has been well. That doc is very cool!  It's amazing how well preserved it is being in the bottom of a box all those years!  That's framing material right there buddy!

We will definately be fishing together this year... I hope! I know 1 tourney you'll be at, Bass Masters!   ;D

Best regards,

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline bostoned

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Dec 10, 2009, 02:34 PM »
So glad it's not 1933 anymore.  From the looks of that Deer season in Mass was December 4 to December 9.   :o  Wow, 6 whole days! 

But then again the Sporting License only cost $3.25! 

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #100 on: Dec 10, 2009, 02:50 PM »
It's actually a very cool document if you take the time to read it!  One thing that stuck out to me was the phone numbers.... Mostly 4 digits but some as few as 2! 2 cans and a string  :cookoo:

Flaggs!

Offline DOUBLE-D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Dec 10, 2009, 04:24 PM »
Been watching everyones post all season. Will definately hook up just waiting for the iceeeeeeeeeeeee!  Double-D

Offline Powow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #102 on: Dec 11, 2009, 08:12 PM »
roger, i wish i new how to post pictures.  i was working on an elevator in an old warehouse in worcester and came across an old hand auger.  it has a wooden T handle on it.  i will have to get some new blades for it and let you try it out in  vermont!!!  mike

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #103 on: Dec 11, 2009, 08:24 PM »
You need to have a photo sharing place like photobucket. It's easy. There is a thread that will walk you through it.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline mbs1957

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:21 PM »
Awesome stuff jigging stick is a great idea

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #105 on: Dec 17, 2009, 09:33 PM »
Hey Roger,

I can't wait to start a "State of the Art" Ice Fishing Equipment post :woot: I can put my Salter scale, Artic Armor Suit, Nils auger, etc. ;D

In all seriousness, I have MAJOR respect for passing those vintage items down from generation to generation. I'm the first generation ice fishing in my family. I will do my best to start a new tradition.... can you imagine Heritage Laker tip-ups being vintage one day!  I can only imagine what the future equipment for ice fishing holds :icefish:

Tight lines buddy!

- Porter

Hey Jeff
Aren't we related somehow. You can start passing it on while I'm still alive    ;D ;D ;D ;D
MA

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #106 on: Dec 17, 2009, 10:40 PM »
roger, i wish i new how to post pictures.  i was working on an elevator in an old warehouse in worcester and came across an old hand auger.  it has a wooden T handle on it.  i will have to get some new blades for it and let you try it out in  vermont!!!  mike

Email them to me and I'll post 'em up for you.

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Dec 31, 2011, 11:20 AM »
Came across these old rod/ reel combos.  Sanded and stained the wooden handles, polished the brass reel, and cleaned them up a little and they look great. Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Offline MUNICH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Soldier
« Reply #108 on: Dec 31, 2011, 11:24 AM »
I've seen Old timers up in VT who still use them!
J. Cotier

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Dec 31, 2011, 02:51 PM »
Check this out...picked it up a few years ago.....old 1930's/40's bait bucket.....complete with built in lamp to keep from freezing...havent tried it out but pretty cool antique...

Note oil lamp, complete with sightglass in side of bucket and vent holes everywhere

Offline MUNICH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Soldier
« Reply #110 on: Dec 31, 2011, 03:31 PM »
You can make shiner stew!
J. Cotier

Offline Ziffle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #111 on: Dec 31, 2011, 03:41 PM »
Unoman, that bait bucket is very cool.   I love the old stuff.

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #112 on: Dec 31, 2011, 04:39 PM »
Flaggs will love this one....

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #113 on: Dec 31, 2011, 04:48 PM »
sweet stuff here! i have a t-handle auger i will get a pic of and post.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just a kid until the end.
« Reply #114 on: Jan 01, 2012, 09:27 AM »
Check this out...picked it up a few years ago.....old 1930's/40's bait bucket.....complete with built in lamp to keep from freezing...havent tried it out but pretty cool antique...

(Image removed from quote.)

Note oil lamp, complete with sightglass in side of bucket and vent holes everywhere

Amazing find.  I love the lamp idea. Interesting concept, very practical. 
Member of the GODs, the Grumpy Old Dudes, "We're off our rockers."

Offline JS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JS
« Reply #115 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:00 AM »
mint bucket.
Tight lines!

Offline highvoltagejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Jan 01, 2012, 03:03 PM »
Here's one for ya!

In the initial post of this thread, at the very end, I talked about an old Zebco scale/tape. Now honestly, I do not know how long ago I got it or how old it is, all I CAN tell you is that I have had this for as long as I can remember. Could be pre-icefishing days ???\

Anyhow TODAY, I blew off the afternoon and went down to Quinsig with my neighbor to see if the bite was on. it Wasn't  >:( (Different story)

So I went to measure the ice and plunk went my Zebco!   :woot: No bit of a lie, I stuck my arm down to my shoulder but it was GONE! S%^T !!!   :'(
In a sudden depressed state, I began to get my bearings on where I was (close to shore) so I could see if I could find it after the thaw. ???  My neighbor, Bobby was like "Just drill out a few more holes and we'll see if we can hook it or get a rake or something".

Still in a depressed state, I begin comming to the conclusion that it may be gone for good.  :'( :'( :'( More depression begins setting in when Bobby says, "Hey, what about that big magnet I have at home?" and suddenly I stood tall with chest out, and said "That's IT! So he told me where it was in the house and I made my way back home (only 1 mile or so) and picked up the magnet. :o

On the drive back to the spot, I'm finding anything steel to 'test it' and it stuck to my hook puller in my pocket real good!

Confident, I untied my jig from the Jig stick and tied on the magnet. The suspense was KILLING ME!  (you too? ;D )
Drop the thing down and did a couple swirls... NOTHING! ....S&*T >:(  :icefish:

Drop down the second time, jig off the bottom, and pulled it up slow and Voila!   ;D :woot: There it was hanging onto the magnet! :clap: :clap:

Now check out the photos, but be sure to read the ending!

Flaggs!

Here it is in all it's beauty! It is DEAD NUTS ON for weight as well!
Top Shot - It only measures 2 1/4" tall by 1 1/2" Wide - A small little thing!

OK,

So for most of you guys out there, this does not mean you bust into your BOSE 901's for the magnet! :o  But, go into your Garage, and you know those old car speakers you were going to put into that 1966 Pontiac Tempest?  ???  Ya, I know you got a pair! :roflmao: :roflmao:
Grab the magnets off them and put them in your tackle Box or sled!!!! It was the absolute life saver!  I already took a pair of speakers apart, I am GOOD_TO_GO!

I just learned the HARD WAY!  story of my life!  :clap: :thumbsup:

Flaggs!Hey Flaggs, not to steal your post but some of the best magnets are actually much smaller and alot stronger are found in.......every old microwave oven. If you see one on the side of the road, stop and get it.  A tip from a guy who was a communications officer in the navy told me this about 2 weeks ago.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #117 on: Jan 05, 2012, 12:55 PM »
my old t-handle auger. got it on a moving job about 15 years ago.

T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #118 on: Jan 10, 2012, 09:51 AM »
Uno....

That's the cats ass right there!  Wow!  Love it...  nice t-handle too! I didnt know you had that puppy!  Holdin out on me ha... Wanta sell it  ;D

Flaggs!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #119 on: Jan 10, 2012, 12:33 PM »
wow..a one handle auger from Jiffy...that qualifies!!!
That auger is known as the Leg Breaker. I know 2 guys that had their leg broken from one of those augers. Not safe when the ice gets thick. The blades grab as they break through the bottom and the auger jerks and WHAMMO!!!
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.