The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Vintage Ice Fishing Equipment  (Read 34508 times)

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
Vintage Ice Fishing Equipment
« on: Feb 25, 2008, 10:50 AM »
Hello Fellow Shantians....

UnoMan and I were talking about a new thread that would post up Vintage Ice fishing Equipment, home made, manufactured or whatever. I have a fair amount of old equipoment. It all started with my Jig Stick that many of you have commented on so I will start there. I am an 'old school' kind_a_guy and just love old stuff! A sentimentalist at heart ;)

I would really like to see your stuff! Home made, Manufactured or whatever, but it would be best if we could keep it Vintage. That is 20 years old or older. (Just like cars) I am hoping we can see some really cool stuff here. Since I am not sure how long Augers have been around, they are excluded form the "Vintage rule" so we can see some of the first ones that were out there  ;D

I will also write this in chronological order based on how old I was when I got this stuff. This post is rather lengthy, but I hope you enjoy reading and the story behind the photos and equipment. Much of it is the photos. ;)

I have been Ice fishing since I was 8 years old and fishing with my childhood buddy, Kenny (who a few of you met yesterday). We lived on Long lake in Littleton and fished everyday after school and sunup to sundown on weekends. Homework? NOT :( When we fished, everyone else was on the lake skating in old leather, low boot Ice skates that would KILL your ankles!  I am sure many of you know what I am talking about  :D That was not for Kenny and I!

Anyhow, here goes...

1964 - 8 years old - Jig Stick: My dad carved this out of a birch tree branch and mounted an old fresh water reel to it. It works great (used it all day yesterday) I forgot to get the name of the reel but it is OLD. Mitchell comes to mind. (Anyone know anyone who can restore/lube this thing?) The only thing I have done is remount the reel as the original screws Dad used stripped out over the years. I also need to glue some of the bark back on so I don't loose it.

1966 - 10 -Fishing Box: Well, by now, my dad knew we were die hard Ice fisherboys ;D and so I asked him if he could build me a box to pull out on the lake. This is what he came up with. (Dad was an Exec with Volkswagen but was a master Carpenter and Mechanic and overall really good handyman).
This is an OLD lobster box that he got from a guy at the yacht club we belonged to -as kids, we had a small ski boat for the lake and Dad had a 1958 30' Chis Craft double plank mahogany cabin cruiser in Boston Harbor). He attached 2 sleeves on the bottom of each side of the box. Took some 1950's Cypress Waterskis he had hanging around and mounted rails to them. I simply drop the box onto the rails, (and if you look closely) and slide a 3/4 inch copper pipe through everyting. quick and simple and reliable.

Here is the sticker on the skis. I had a guy offer me 200 bucks for them last year. Not on his Life would I get rid of these. Major scare this year, I left them behind my van at the chauncy tourney and drove off. I was sick! My hero, GotABigOne had picked them up and brought them home. I found them on the shanty the next day!  Thanks god!

Inside the box... Tons of room. All the ropes and handles are the original (of course this has been inside all its life and not stored outdoors). The original tilts are used today as well. They were bought at SPAGS back in '64.

1967: Next up is my shiner bucket. With 7 siblings, we always got 1 BIG gift for Xmas. Mine was the shiner bucket! can't see much of the painting on it anymore but it still serves its purpose very well! It was the most exciting thing as I remember it like it was yesterday! ;) I was the only one on the block who had one!

Skip many years to 1982: I got married! While my wife (from Connecticut) was unpacking in our apartment, she took this out. This was here transistor radio from when she was a little kid. She donated it to me and I use it every time I fish. AM only of course. This was right after Tubes! ;D  Solid State - WOW!  ;)

1987 - My parents are relocating from Littleton to North Carolina. I found this in the garage and scoffed it up. This is a WWII field issue, stove. It runs on Gasoline (holy explosion batman!) and work like it did when brand new (Cooked with it yesterday)! I did not get a chance to ask my dad if it was his, but I sure would like to think so! I have the original box and military issued instructions. The cool thing about this, in the pump, you can unscrew it and inside, is a complete rebuild kit (leather diaphragm, new needles, new wick and pouch of lubricant for it). I have never used any of this kit as the original works great!

The package Deal!

I have a couple other items... an old ZEBCO scale with a 2 foot tape measure. Porter got a close look at this one. I'll grab a photo of it and update.

I hope you enjoyed this!  I did! just writing it brings back so many memories when life was really simple. Perhaps this is why I Icefish every chance I get!  ;D

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline Stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just a kid until the end.
Re: Vintage Ice Fishing Equipment
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2008, 01:40 PM »
Flaggs, the only old thing I take out onto the ice is "ME" vintage 1950.   I've only been ice fishing for the last four years.  Really enjoyed your post.  Great time yesterday. 
Member of the GODs, the Grumpy Old Dudes, "We're off our rockers."

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2008, 03:33 PM »
Very nice post Flaggs....

The only thing i have is a 1976 Buck Knife that I bought with paper route money when i was 16....i keep it strapped to the side of my tilt basket and clean trout, cut line etc with it...still in mint condition...no pic yet...will post...

As it turns out Stealth has the same model....

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nationality: Porterguese of course!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2008, 03:40 PM »
Hey Roger,

I can't wait to start a "State of the Art" Ice Fishing Equipment post :woot: I can put my Salter scale, Artic Armor Suit, Nils auger, etc. ;D

In all seriousness, I have MAJOR respect for passing those vintage items down from generation to generation. I'm the first generation ice fishing in my family. I will do my best to start a new tradition.... can you imagine Heritage Laker tip-ups being vintage one day!  I can only imagine what the future equipment for ice fishing holds :icefish:

Tight lines buddy!

- Porter

Offline yakk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2008, 04:14 PM »
realy enjoyed your post flaggs , thanks . born in 54 myself . yakk

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2008, 06:28 PM »
I may be breaking the rules regarding augers, but I doubt that anyone uses on of these when they go out.  My grandfather bought this in 1969 and it has run every time.  It does not idol, but it starts first pull after three primes and will keep drilling until you let off the throttle.

, , ,

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2008, 07:50 PM »
wow..a one handle auger from Jiffy...that qualifies!!!

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2008, 06:50 AM »
I may be breaking the rules regarding augers, but I doubt that anyone uses on of these when they go out.  My grandfather bought this in 1969 and it has run every time.  It does not idol, but it starts first pull after three primes and will keep drilling until you let off the throttle.

Newbraintree,

That is VERY COOL!   :bow:

I have never seen anything like it!  Thanks for posting it. As Unoman said, that DEFINATELY qualifies at 39 years old!   
really nice. I hope we can meet up at some point to see it in person!  Love it!

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2008, 06:52 AM »

Newbraintree,

That is VERY COOL!   :bow:

I have never seen anything like it!  Thanks for posting it. As Unoman said, that DEFINATELY qualifies at 39 years old!   
really nice. I hope we can meet up at some point to see it in person!  Love it!

Flaggs!

It cuts great and is with me every time we go out.  I have not had any issues with it like some of the new augers are having with the Ethanol on the gas
, , ,

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2008, 07:21 AM »
It cuts great and is with me every time we go out.  I have not had any issues with it like some of the new augers are having with the Ethanol on the gas

They just don't make them like they used to NewBraintree! 

Flaggs!

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2008, 07:23 AM »
realy enjoyed your post flaggs , thanks . born in 54 myself . yakk

Glad you enjoyed it!  How about that old Jiffy auger ha?  Mint!

Yakk... born in '56, you have a couple more years of wisdom on me   ;D

Flaggs!

Offline PIKECHASER75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2008, 07:45 AM »
I'M  ONLY 23 YRS OLD ,YOU SAID VINTAGE HAS TO BE 20 YRS OR OLDER , LOL, SORRY NOTHING VINTAGE IN MY POSSESION. I'VE NEVER SEEN AN AUGER LIKE THAT BEFORE,OLD SCHOOL!!!

Offline reelucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:11 PM »
Hey Newbraintree, were you at the American Legion tournament  on Long Sought for Pond last Sunday 17th??? I saw one of those one handle Jiffys on my way off the ice. Almost stepped in a couple holes checking it out. It's a great feeling when you can rely on a piece of power equipment that is 40 years old. I'm sure a carb. rebuild to clean the idle fuel circuits would make the kitten purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. However, sometimes the rings and piston are worn so bad they wont draw enough fuel/air at idle. It cant help but run with momentum at high speeds.

Awesome auger
"Fact is stranger than fish'n"

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2008, 12:35 PM »
Hey Newbraintree, were you at the American Legion tournament  on Long Sought for Pond last Sunday 17th??? I saw one of those one handle Jiffys on my way off the ice. Almost stepped in a couple holes checking it out. It's a great feeling when you can rely on a piece of power equipment that is 40 years old. I'm sure a carb. rebuild to clean the idle fuel circuits would make the kitten purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. However, sometimes the rings and piston are worn so bad they wont draw enough fuel/air at idle. It cant help but run with momentum at high speeds.

Awesome auger

No.. that was not me.  I guess there is someone else out there that is as lucky as me...   I have rebuilt the card every two years for the last six.  I have tried to adjust it, but cannot get it to idea.  I am sure that the pistons and rings are worn so I just leave it.  Maybe after all these years, it needs a break between holes!  And it makes it more gas efficient.  I've thought about having the engine rebuilt, but I am going to wait to see how long I can keep it running.  Hopefully, my son will be out one day telling people that it was his great grandfathers....
, , ,

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2008, 04:25 PM »
No.. that was not me.  I guess there is someone else out there that is as lucky as me...   I have rebuilt the card every two years for the last six.  I have tried to adjust it, but cannot get it to idea.  I am sure that the pistons and rings are worn so I just leave it.  Maybe after all these years, it needs a break between holes!  And it makes it more gas efficient.  I've thought about having the engine rebuilt, but I am going to wait to see how long I can keep it running.  Hopefully, my son will be out one day telling people that it was his great grandfathers....
NB

It's a real  gem as you already know. Imagine the awe people will be in when your son shows up to a gathering with that ole girl!
Make sure its willed to your son!   ;)

Thanks a ton for posting it!

Flaggs!

Offline JS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JS
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:17 PM »
nice stuff guys,. i love that fishing box, has just a little more character than a plastic sled. i have a bud who has an auger like that, the blade "is" the end of the auger itself not bolted on like new ones, his is red. here is my bit of Vintage icefishing stuff, an old jigstick given to my dad by his Finnish neighbor who was an icefishin guy. it's a little over 50 yrs old. the mono is a little newer.

Tight lines!

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:33 PM »
Love it JS.

What's really cool is the cork end and hollow handle to keep rigs! The curve and style is really sweet! The pegs to wind the line set it off nicely. Thanks for posting!  Get a few shots of the old auger!

That's a keeper for sure  ;D

Flaggs!

Offline JS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JS
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:40 PM »
Thanks Flaggs. i love it too...I'll get some shots of that auger. i know it has an Indian head on it, maybe it is the Techumseh logo. ???
Tight lines!

Offline JS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JS
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:42 PM »
Yes it is the Techumseh logo. :embarassed: haha
Tight lines!

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:48 PM »
Thanks Flaggs. i love it too...I'll get some shots of that auger. i know it has an Indian head on it, maybe it is the Techumseh logo. ???

Everytime there is a post here, I go back and look at the 'stuff'. What I noticed this time looking at your post was: Hey, those lures look like they are 50+ years old as well!
SWEET!

Flaggs!

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2008, 02:11 AM »
i have a bud who has an auger like that, the blade "is" the end of the auger itself not bolted on like new ones, his is red. 

Nice jig stick.. the cork end is cool.  I'd like to see this auger.  Mine is not bolted either and cuts great.  I have to bring it to a guy who has the old machine to sharpen it.
, , ,

Offline JS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JS
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:30 AM »
Yeah that stick really is that old. my parents were newlyweds and living in thier first home. early 1950's. i used to have an old spud too but i lost it thru the ice when i was a kid. dad was'nt too happy about that. i'll give my bud a ring about the auger and get some pics of it.
Tight lines!

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2008, 02:29 PM »
i have some old fishing stuff but alas i can't figure out how to post pics on this site. its not all that easy.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2008, 03:04 PM »
i have some old fishing stuff but alas i can't figure out how to post pics on this site. its not all that easy.
Moosehunter,

I just went through it and it really  is not to bad. I set up an account on Photobucket.com and uploaded the images there. You need to re-size them to 640x480 pixels using any photo editor. I use adobe photo start but any simple photo program will do this for you. Once re sized, follow the simple instructions on Photobucket (basically, hit the browse button ((you can browse and select as many photos you want, in 1 session)) and once all your photos are selected, select "upload".) Go back to your album in photobucket and they will all be there. Hit the IMG selection under the photo and you will see it will say "Copied", go to your post and do a simple paste and Voila, the pics are there...

There is also detailed instructions on this in the "Ice Fishing Pictures" ->How to Post Pictures. (If you do a site search on "how to post pictures") it will get you there... Just follow the instructions..

Looking forward to seeing your "old Stuff"!

Flaggs!

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:07 PM »
Here are some old tilts and basket not to sure of the year or where they are from but it is pretty cool to have stuff like this around. If anyone has any info on these please let me know.Great idea putting this up on the web /always interested in checking out stuff like this.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:26 PM »
 :woot: WOW! :tipup:

Imissedem,

I have never seen anything like them! The flags look like they've had plenty of air time too!  ;D Where did you get them? Have they been in the family?  I hope someone reads this and can offer up some information/lineage for this incredible vintage piece of equipment! :)

The basket looks to be in remarkable condition as well!

Thanks for posting it up!

Flaggs!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #26 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:28 PM »
ah beautiful jigger there and pretty awesome jigs to wow.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline JS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JS
« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:16 PM »
Cool stuff, i did a search for them online and found nothing, pretty unique tilts. ya i agree, having that stuff around is great. look at all the fun it gives us here!... ;D
Tight lines!

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:37 PM »
Cool stuff, i did a search for them online and found nothing, pretty unique tilts. ya i agree, having that stuff around is great. look at all the fun it gives us here!... ;D
You bet keep them coming someone has gotta know some kind of info sooner or later.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2008, 09:14 PM »

Not that hard Moose: second time posting this today; 

Its all right HERE.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.