Author Topic: First outing with my new Ice Machine!!  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Shovel74

• Team IceShanty Regular
First outing with my new Ice Machine!!
« on: Feb 24, 2008, 08:39 PM »
I received my Ice Machine Friday, read the manual late that night and went out with it Saturday morning.  All I can say is... it is great!! I was a little concerned that I would have a hard time reading the graph, because I have never used a fishfinder the way it should be used.  I have a fishfinder on my boat, but I have never used it for anything more than a depthfinder.  I bought the ice machine because I wanted something to use on the bow of my boat.  The Ice Machine was very easy to use, I made note of the settings that some members on here discussed, and away I went.  I first used it to set up my tipups, then went to work jigging.  It is great to watch your jig move down through the water column, see something rise off the bottom to check it out, and then have the fish come back and hit it after you work the jig a bit.  I was using a #2 Swedish Pimple that was easily seen on the graph, as well as the 3" perch that took it.  I eventually moved out to deeper water to play...I sent a larger pimple down 65 feet to the bottom, took it up about 20 feet and watched a fish come off the bottom to investigate.  The fish dropped back down, I got him to come up again and follow me up...he eventually bit, but in all the excitement I missed him.   Sorry about the long post, do you think I am a little excited??  LOL  Feel free to ask any questions, as you can see I like to talk about it!

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
Re: First outing with my new Ice Machine!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2008, 08:43 PM »
I know the feeling man, got my 1st flasher this year. I have really looked forward to every weekend so i could get out and use it again.
Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2008, 09:38 PM »
once you start using electronics, it is very hard to get yourself to jig without it. i have a vex fl-8slt and a recently acquired x-67. i personally prefer the vexilar but the 67 surprised me. so far it has got along very well with several different vexilars as close as 2 feet away, and has proven to be pretty detailed with very good target seperation. when it comes down to it any form of electronics is better than no electronics. enjoy your new peice of equipment !

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2008, 06:59 PM »
My first fish on camera definetly got me hooked with electronics.  Every time i go fishing i look forward to marking fish on the vex, or making observations on the 'VU.  Definetly never find me out there without my electronics.

Offline fathead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2008, 02:50 AM »
electronics are clutch especially with kids
SEMPER FI

Offline Icecracka46

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My favorite fishing partner
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:28 AM »
That makes me say i'm gonna get one too!!!

Offline Shovel74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:22 PM »
Ice,
If you have a Walmart around, check and see if they have it, they ran it on sale for $200 here in NY.  I called every Walmart in a 100 mile radius, and only 2 stores carried them......worth a try for the savings.  I wound up getting mine through Thorne Bros. because the Walmart that was supposed hold one for me, sold it before I got there.

Offline gcrossman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:22 PM »
I love my Vex...I have turned around or drove extra miles to get the battery...Time to buy a second batt.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2008, 03:51 AM »
Just my two cents. I understand that the flasher is a good and necessary tool. The fish TV is a nice toy. I love a gadget. But, like a dad taking videos of his kids play, at what point have you disconnected from the actual experience.

Offline gcrossman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2008, 07:09 AM »
I some times go w/o,  I use a bobber stop to mark the depth I want my jig and can move hole to hole w/o bringing the vex to each hole, if the depth is the same.   My friends enjoy it as well, and I can still out fish them.

Offline thewalleyewhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2008, 08:31 AM »
Just my two cents. I understand that the flasher is a good and necessary tool. The fish TV is a nice toy. I love a gadget. But, like a dad taking videos of his kids play, at what point have you disconnected from the actual experience.

I'll adjust this Dad/Kids analogy to the way I see it.  Normal ice fishing is like being able to talk to your kids on the phone.  Using a camera and or flasher allows you to actually see them.  IMO it has the exact opposite effect of being 'disconnected' to the experience.  But I recognize that people enjoy the sport for different reasons, so neither analogy is accurate all the time.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2008, 10:45 PM »
I don't think there's any disconnect. I have a vex and a camera. I use mine more when action is slow or if I'm by myself. When I have friends with me they like to play with the vex and watch the fish react with their lures. When a day is slow they can certainly help in picking up the action a little bit, and isn't that at least, part of the reason why your out there. If you do a lot of jigging I would tell you to definately at least try one. If you just go out to socialize don't get one, your friends might get lonely.
I hate jigging. Yes this is blasphemy. I lay out my traps as best I can and wait.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.