Author Topic: water in bait bucket  (Read 892 times)

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
water in bait bucket
« on: Feb 23, 2008, 03:12 PM »
I spilled a bucket of water i planned on putting my minnows in. This was lake water . I now have 20 $ worth of pike chubs in a single 4 gallon bucket 2 1/2 dozen chubs 5-8" . I am using it in the morning I was wondering about using tap water overnight is this ok ? I will be able to get lake water at 6 am so it wont be too long. I cant leave my house I am with my kids for the night so I dont have many options . would it be better to use tap water or let them all swim in the one small bucket?

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
Re: water in bait bucket
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2008, 03:17 PM »
I would only use distilled water!!  Keep all the bait in the bucket, just put snow from outside in the bucket to add oxygen, or take a cup, scoop some water out of the bucket, then pour it back in, introducing fresh oxygen.

Offline perchkid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2008, 03:19 PM »
they should be fine....if you have a aerator that will help even more!!
jiggle, jiggle, mister. it's all how ya jiggle.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2008, 03:35 PM »
thanks for the responses i am not usually that concerned but my cat already got 1 1/2 dozen mediums so it didnt hurt as much but still sucks to lose any     I will probably use snow to make some water but I know it takes alot of snow to make any real amount of water

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2008, 04:46 PM »
Next time you get to a WalMart or any tropical fish store.  Pick up a bottle of AquaSafe.  It comes in a yellow bottle and will run you about $5-7.  It has chemicals in it to bond with any Chlorine in the tap water.  It only takes a small amount for bucket full of water.  Ive used it with great success when in a bind.  There is also another chemical produced by the same manufacturer (cant remember the name) that I use when the bait is crowded or I will be keeping it in a bucket for a few days.  It also comes in a yellow bottle and is used to reduce the nitrates in the water.  It will keep em alive for a lot longer time period and fewer water changes.
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2008, 06:12 PM »
you should be fine if you choose to keep them were they are, just take another bucket and empty the bait into it then back to the other one a couple of times and it should replenish the oxygen till the morning.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.