Author Topic: Clam Fish Trap Pro vs Clam Fish Trap Guide  (Read 8936 times)

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Clam Fish Trap Pro vs Clam Fish Trap Guide
« on: Feb 23, 2008, 08:26 AM »
Still doing some research on Flip Type Shanty's.  I'm impressed with the Otters, but they may be out of my budget and I can't find anyone in my area who has one that I could take a gander at. 

Just wondering who purchased a Clam Fish Trap Pro and wished they had a Clam Fish Trap Guide... or visa versa.  Pluses & Minuses of the Pro vs the Guide?
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline feasanthunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clam Fish Trap Pro vs Clam Fish Trap Guide
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2008, 11:20 AM »
For Me, it's the Guide .  I pull out the second seat for solo trips, then I can load lots of gear in there.
are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle "Dixie"?

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2008, 12:01 PM »
the guide is totally the one. best shelter i used yet.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline applejacks

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2008, 07:19 PM »
Be sure to compare the weight differences and use this in determining your choice. 

Offline icerookie78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2008, 07:25 PM »
got my pro this year.... love it . i am very mobile on the ice, enough room for me, vex, buddy heater, and another person if you buy the jump seat. the thing i like the best..... its very light weight. i can pull it through heavy snow by myself without stopping ever 100yds to catch breathe.my friend has the yukon, and man that thing weighs a ton even with the runners on it, wears you out loaded with gear. id say if mostly just yourself and one other person, the pro is a great portable,lightweight shanty.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2008, 05:37 AM »
I bought the pro last year.  I think it is the perfect size for 1 man.  I cant imagine fishing with someone other than a small child inside with me though.  It has just enough room for me and my gear.  I carry a rod bag, flasher, camera, minnows, lantern or heater, 2 tip ups and some misc. items in the pouch under the seat.  The power auger lays on top of the tent area.  Also have the gear bag on the back of the seat.  It is a FULL load.  I do not like the tub on my pro.  It is a little flimsey but OK.  It pulls like crap with some snow on the ice.  If you are pulling this much stuff around...its a decent work out...I wouldnt want to pull any more weight!  Good Luck   BTW to get all my stuff in I have to organize if perfectly.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline icefiend

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 2008, 11:04 AM »
     I picked up the Otter small den before the season started on the Otter website. They had a blow out sale on.
 They may have the same thing going on after this season or before the next. The cost was the same as the Trap Pro, plus the travel cover was included. Since our season is coming to a close, may be something to look for. Very satisfied with the shanty.

Offline mcwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2008, 11:00 AM »
i've had a guide for about 5 seasons now.  i fish mostly by myself and have this season given serious consideration to sizing down to a one man given weight issues and me getting old!  i figure i'm haulin about 130 lbs when i've got the tub loaded with my vex, minnows, armstrong auger, and assorted goodies (including weight of hut).  really tough to pull out when there's fresh snow or no path out there.  otherwise when heading out on a well travelled path it's a fairly easy thing to pull around.  so far, i've stuck with the guide.  will probably end up getting a one man and keeping the two man for those occassions when i'm fishing with someone.  great hut though and am really glad i picked up a trap style hut.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2008, 09:11 AM »
 I chose the Guide this year because I am a full figured fella and thought the extra room would be nice. I was right. I removed one of the seats and moved the other over several inches and I now am VERY comfy with plenty of room to maneuver inside. I think the seat could be higher, but I will remedy this over the summer. The weight is an issue (the Guides as well as mine) as when I have all my gadgets and gear loaded I am sure it is 130 pounds plus. This does limit where I go to fish as I am not able to drag it long distances. I have wished that I chose the smaller Pro, but only on one or two occassions when I stayed late and had a long drag back to the truck.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2008, 10:45 AM »
hey big pappa, i have that trap and certanly bring eveything with me but don:T have issues with pulling it and thats because , and im suggesting this to you i purchased these runners made for the bottom wich work real nice.ask where ever you purchased the shelter and they will lead you in the right direction.good luck
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.