Author Topic: What do you think the best fillet knife is?  (Read 3947 times)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
What do you think the best fillet knife is?
« on: Feb 20, 2008, 01:55 PM »
I'm looking to get a really good fillet knife but gonna end up buy one on line as I haven't found anything that seems right in the local stores   besides not much selection   One thing about it though is I don't want a cheap plastic sheath or cheap knife
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
Re: What do you think the best fillet knife is?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2008, 01:59 PM »
While we are on the topic of Fillet knife.... Also, what is the best (easy and quick) sharpener you have found?
**Sorry to steal your thread, just had a related question as well.   :-\

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2008, 02:04 PM »
Might try an electric knife once ya get the hang of one it just takes seconds to clean a fish.

Offline Smitty71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2008, 02:11 PM »
First to answer perchhogslayers question, go to the IS main chit chat and look for a thread called knife sharpeners- what do you use?  It has 3 pages of great info on the subject.

As for your question Maine, I normally go down to my local butcher shop and get reconditioned knives from them.  Can't even say that I know the names right off hand, but they have been some of the best deer skinnin, fish fillet'in, pheasant cleanin knives I've used.  Go down to your local butcher shop and see what they recommend.  I'll bet they will have some go ideas for you, if not a knife or 2 to look at.

Smitty

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2008, 02:32 PM »
with the rapala electric knife i can do 3 or 4 fish against my friends 1 with a traditional knife- and you get more meat out of it because sometimes when you take the skin off with a regular knife u tear the meat
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2008, 02:50 PM »
I've got a Mister Twister electric knife, and it does make cleaning alot easier, and safer.

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2008, 03:01 PM »
An electric knife is on my list of things to buy.
But I presently use a Cabelas advanced anglers fillet knife, it has a nice solid handle and just enough backbone to take the abuse I put it through when skinning.

you get more meat out of it because sometimes when you take the skin off with a regular knife u tear the meat

I have never torn or lost an ounce of meat when skinning, if anything that's from dull, too short, piece of junk,  and bad knife control.

what is the best (easy and quick) sharpener you have found?
**Sorry to steal your thread, just had a related question as well.   :-\

Any hand held diamond hone, electric work good but only if your home every time you use it. Hard to find but if you can get one, an oval shape hand held are killer for really consistent strokes without having to change the angle of the blade from butt to tip. Some restaurant supply places carry these.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2008, 03:18 PM »
The very best non electric filet knife is a Leech Lake. I have owned many filet knives and this is by far the best I have ever owned or used. It has cleaned hundreds of perch and walleye and is still razor sharp.
Pete Lewis

Offline TR19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2008, 03:22 PM »
Electric is the way to go for filleting. I use a Rapala fillet knife to take out the rib cages. i like it because the steel is soft and you can sharpen it in a split second.

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2008, 03:25 PM »
The very best non electric filet knife is a Leech Lake. I have owned many filet knives and this is by far the best I have ever owned or used. It has cleaned hundreds of perch and walleye and is still razor sharp.

Very, Very nice looking knives but that is some kind of price tag they carry.
Would love to have one of those in my arsenal just may take a few more years or a good raise at work to get me one.

chimo

« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2008, 03:36 PM »
I've been using a cutco, think it's called a fishermans solution or some such thing, for 5 or more years now and haven't had any urge to get anything new.  The blade is adjustable from 6-9 inches, nice non slip handle, seems like just the right amount of flexibilty in the blade.  Might try an electric someday but it might be a while as much as I like the cutco.  good fishin

chimo

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2008, 03:49 PM »
Rapala for hand fillet knife,there cheap and easy to sharpen,Mr Twister for electric.I don't use hand knife any more,I do it all with my Twister, fillet,skin,and derib in that order .

Offline fin-stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm watchin you fish!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2008, 03:55 PM »
I have a Rapala electric and it works great for panfish, walleye, salmon, steelies......any fish.  The deluxe version has three available power options...110, cig lighter, and battery hook up.  Got them at gander mtn for around $80.  Just saw the exact same one at Walmart for $39 regularly priced!  Hope that helps.  Take care and tear em up!
ICE ADDICT!

Offline r3foxx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2008, 03:58 PM »
with the rapala electric knife i can do 3 or 4 fish against my friends 1 with a traditional knife- and you get more meat out of it because sometimes when you take the skin off with a regular knife u tear the meat
No way in H E L L you are getting more meat with an electric than you are with a fillet knife.

Offline chocklab07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2008, 04:07 PM »
I have had a rapala fillet knives for years. The one with the wooden handle and leather case that you can get at Walmart.  That thing is great. I use it for filleting everything from trout down to some little perch, It even did a good job on some big smelts that I tried to fillet.

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2008, 04:18 PM »
rapala for sure! there cheap and will clean a lot of fish!

Offline Joe Snag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just Waiting for Deer season to open
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2008, 04:43 PM »
I still have the old Rapala wood handle--BUT,what i do when I scale a fish before I fellet it ,I'll use my Hunting case xx or my large buck knife to scale the fish first and save the edge of my fillet knife.
[

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2008, 05:10 PM »
rapala for the price

Offline ralwag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • PARTY'S ON THE ICE!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2008, 05:30 PM »
Rapala for the price. Remember you could have the best knife in the world but if you don't know how to fillet it won't do you any good.  ;)

Ral.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2008, 05:35 PM »
wood handle rapala is pretty decent.

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2008, 05:38 PM »
Buck 'lakemaster'......don't think they make it anymore, but might still make something similar. I really like Buck knives for the price

Offline Vt Piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2008, 05:40 PM »
I've got the Rapala electric kit and Pike filleting is a whole lot easier and I can work off any 12V source or 110V. For good ol' fashion steel, I side with the Rapala recommendations. I've got two of the wood handles w/ leather case, one plastic non- slip handle with leather case, and a Fishmaster with a hard plastic case. The different knives have different "spines" (the back of the knife) and different lengths. The spine controls the flexibility of the Knife.
 I sharpen the different knives with different angles on the edge. Each tool has it's purpose. OK, so call me anal about my knives. But the flesh knives cut like exacto blades and the bone knives hold their edge.
 The Rapala blades are not 440c but on the other hand, you can resharpen them with a few quick swipes on an Arkansas stone or a fine India stone.
<br />img

Offline Perch-Pirate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2008, 05:51 PM »
I actually like the rubber grip Rapala fillet knife better than the wood handle. Maybe I just got a bad wood handled one, but the rubber grip stays sharp like ten times longer before I re-sharpen.

Later,
PP

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2008, 05:52 PM »
The one that my wife is cutting with...Dexter Russell 11" whippy little thing, holds a great edge, get about two seasons out of one...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline imoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2008, 06:06 PM »
Any carbon steel knife holds a good edge. dexter makes a good one. 9" x 3/4" to 1" unless you are only cleaning small fish then a small rapala will work.<"(((><.........

Offline littlet63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2008, 06:16 PM »
I got a Kershaw for Christmas and I love it.  Not sure what it cost.  It has a rubber handle.  It also has 2 blades with it.  1 for smaller fish and the other for the big uns.  Both the knife and other blade fit into the sheath.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 20, 2008, 06:25 PM »
I used a 4" rapala and it worked real well until I switched to the electric Mr. Twister.  I will never go back.  I also agree from a previous post " that with an electric you will end up with more meat....." No way, but you sure can clean them alot quicker.  Also I have always heard that a cutco fishermans solution is the best.  But for the price it ought to be.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 20, 2008, 06:34 PM »
I use a shrade uncle henry 8" fillet knife.  I also have the rapala electric knife.  I like both knives.  I had a few Rapala fillet knife and couldn't get one that was flexible enough.  Also the handles seem to want to crack and split.  I cut the ends off of my fingers without any extra help from a cracked handle.....but you get what you pay for.
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 20, 2008, 06:39 PM »
I used a 4" rapala and it worked real well until I switched to the electric Mr. Twister.  I will never go back.  I also agree from a previous post " that with an electric you will end up with more meat....." No way, but you sure can clean them alot quicker.  Also I have always heard that a cutco fishermans solution is the best.  But for the price it ought to be.

i worked for cutco and the fisherman solution is pretty cool but its no where near as good as the electric rapala knife...  and dont let cutco fool you... the only good knives that they make are the ones with the "double d" edge. for an outdoorsman the hunting knife with rubber handle is the best knife ull ever process a deer with
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline pan-fisher-man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 20, 2008, 08:40 PM »
classic Rapala hands down. ;D
-------   --------
          /
         / FISH THE HARD STUFF
        /
   ><>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.