Author Topic: Shack is on fire....no, not the basketball player.  (Read 5133 times)

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
Shack is on fire....no, not the basketball player.
« on: Feb 19, 2008, 04:04 PM »
Short version:  Had 3 tip ups and 2 jig poles (live in NE).  Tip up flags around 7 PM.  Freak out and chase flag with brother (setting rod down in chair inside shack).  Tip up spools line like crazy...I'm crazy with anticipation.  Run stops - I set hook.  Fish is decent at first, then gets real heavy.  Pull and pull.  Crash comes from hut.  Followed by smoke out open door.  Fish bites chub...runs...wraps tip up line around jig pole line....jig pole laying in down jacket on chair in ice hut.  I pull fish and jig pole towards me....land them both.  Unfortunately, jig pole pulled jacket onto Mr Buddy heater.  So...lesson:  Never set tip ups so close they can do a one-run to your jiggin poles.  That sucked...nice old down jacket...and feathers smell like butt when they burn.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
Re: Shack is on fire....no, not the basketball player.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2008, 04:07 PM »
good advice.
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline flagup#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2008, 07:04 PM »
It is just amazing how things can come together at times, you do have a story to tell your grandchildren now! :tipup:

Offline johnnyboy8451234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2008, 07:25 PM »
Short version:  Had 3 tip ups and 2 jig poles (live in NE).  Tip up flags around 7 PM.  Freak out and chase flag with brother (setting rod down in chair inside shack).  Tip up spools line like crazy...I'm crazy with anticipation.  Run stops - I set hook.  Fish is decent at first, then gets real heavy.  Pull and pull.  Crash comes from hut.  Followed by smoke out open door.  Fish bites chub...runs...wraps tip up line around jig pole line....jig pole laying in down jacket on chair in ice hut.  I pull fish and jig pole towards me....land them both.  Unfortunately, jig pole pulled jacket onto Mr Buddy heater.  So...lesson:  Never set tip ups so close they can do a one-run to your jiggin poles.  That sucked...nice old down jacket...and feathers smell like butt when they burn.

well hope nobody got hurt... well now with that said that is some funny sh*t you couldnt make something like that up   ;D ;D sorry you lost your jacket   LOL

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2008, 08:50 PM »
well hope nobody got hurt... well now with that said that is some funny sh*t you couldnt make something like that up   ;D ;D sorry you lost your jacket   LOL

Couldnt have said it better myself

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2008, 01:46 AM »
That's too funny.

"We're not messin around here, this is some serious stuff".

You certainly couldn't come up with a bird brained story like this one without it actually happening.

What ever happened to the fish, did you eat em or toss em back ???

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2008, 09:54 AM »
Great story!
Mayhem on the ice!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2008, 10:14 AM »
As to the "did you eat him" question...He spent a while on the ice then went back to his fellow slough sharks to wreak havoc on some other poor ba$tard.  I now have a deeper understanding of the cycle of life, the food chain, and the effects of combusting propane on bird feathers.  My outings seem to becoming more and more normal.  Probably since I don't drink anymore...drinking leads to perch darts, shanty fires, and a variety of other bizarre events. 
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2008, 12:08 PM »
Wow-

It's pretty rare to see bonfires on the ice...  But what a great story...  You might just want to toss on another layer of clothing next time- and leave the infernos to the professionals!  :o

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.