Author Topic: The toughest ice fisher you ever met?  (Read 5204 times)

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The toughest ice fisher you ever met?
« on: Feb 18, 2008, 05:25 AM »
I got into this sport because I wanted to learn cold weather skills. During that period, I joined a friend on the ice one day, and wasn't fishing. It was cold. It was really, really cold. And he just stood there. and stood there. and stood there. I had to leave to thaw out. I learned that some of these ice fishers are the toughest, crustiest, badest guys around. You could take the toughest guy in normal circumstance, and if you asked him to go fishing during a sleet storm he would say no. H*ll no. Too cold. I'll just stay in here with my cocoa. I've since learned what I needed to know from being on the ice. But I will never be a tough, crusty, frozen fisherman. I have a shelter and heater. But no hot cocoa. Diet Pepsi. I will look out during a storm while fishing, and there's a bucket sitter, that hasn't moved in two hours that's sitll there. This is my only hobby, I am addicted. I cannot tell you why. Perhaps it is like art. It has been said that Art is something the mind can conceive, but only the heart can truly understand. I have never met the toughest Icefisher I have ever seen. He is a bucketsitter that goes out when nobody goes out. NOBODY. I see him as I'm driving by a lake. With the car heater on high. I see him still there hours later. It's freezing rain. I think He may be dead. But no. Every year the same thing, no matter the weather, He's there. Here's too you man.
Tell us about the toughest ice fisher you ever met.     

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
Re: The toughest ice fisher you ever met?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2008, 08:45 AM »
I went thru the ice up to my chest last march(late ice), on a Miss River backwater.The water was only 4 ft deep with about a ft. of mud & crap below that... Let's just say ,  I got a little "overzealous", going after the pannies....
    After I got myself out of the water, I went & sat back by the 2 guys I was fishing with, & fished 2 more hours. I sat on my seat & spent those 2 hours wringing out my clothing, while stripped down to my "longers", & To top it all off. One of my buddies was using old line & lost his rig to a fish. 5 minutes later I pulled in a 7-8" gill & my buddies' 4-5" gill & gear. He had just been tellin us, that it must have been a big "pike" that took his rig, as he was tying up a new rig... The look on his face was hilarious when I threw his gear & fish at him, sayin' , "Yep, that must a been a Big one.."  ;)  Wet & all, I was the only one to ice a fish that day... ;)

gil54p , one of the members on IceShanty, was one of the buddies there with me, when this adventure happened. When Grub(the other guy) & I went back the next day to try again, we stayed on shore, & a guy went thru 30 yds from where I did, while we were there. He got out OK, but he left after about 15 minutes.
   Now, was I tough???   Nope,  just NUTS!!! 

I've met quite a few "tough" ice anglers,as you defined. The guys who go out & are hardy, toughing out the wind & cold, mostly with no shack. I fish with one of them alot. The guy I spoke of earlier, "gil54p", He's a "die-hard too. I think that's why we fish & hunt together so much. It's not just the "buddy" system, But I know & he knows, even if it's crappy out, if we want to go fishing,or hunting; It usually doesn't matter.... Off we go! & then, after we've been out there a long time, successfull or not, neither one of us wants to be the one who says, "well, ya ready to head out??". & then if someone does say it, the other usually says, "OK, let's go in another halfhour or so.." .(yeah , right...) Then about 1-1/2 hours later , we pick up & actually head in... Been going on like that for 10-11 years now, just about since we met anyways.
 Is he a tough ol man... Yep!  Me ? Like I said, I'm NUTS. ;)
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2008, 11:05 AM »
My neighbor.  He left to go icefishing one day at sunrise.  It was March and the lakes were thawing fast.  His Wife called me around 3pm bawling her eyes out saying she was worried he'd fallen in as she hadn't heard from him.  I drove out to his favorite spot and could see a lone figure in the middle of the bay sitting on a bucket - the ONLY guy on the ice.  The shorelines had ALL melted but he was still out there.  No way could I get out to be with him but I could see him catching fish hand over fist and throwing the little ones back.  Just before sunset he picked up and started walking in.  The water was open at least 20 feet from shore now.  The boards he had used to walk out in the morning were floating.  He got as close as he could and just jumped in - water up to his chest and he waded the rest of the way in holding his bucket and poles up out of the water.  I was frozen just watching him and told him he was crazy.  He smiled and said one foot had fallen through the water when he first walked out in the morning and he sat there all day with a wet boot/sock.
One year when bowhunting he walked to his stand and had to pass over a small creek.  Most of us used a log to cross or simply jumped it.  He thought the ice was safe enough and tried walking over.  He fell through up to his thighs but refused to go back and change.  It was cold - in the single digits and he sat on stand for 3 hours before heading back in.  It was the rut and he didn't want to miss it.
One of the toughest men I've ever known.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2008, 11:35 AM »
I have a fishing buddy that has never fished in my portable with me. He stands outside in a thirty below wind chill all day long. He wears a snowmobile suit, but the pac boots that he wears wouldn't keep my feet warm for five minutes. He never sits down either. Just stands there and walks around once in a while and clears his holes. He will fish inside my hard side though and I have never figured this out. If I ask him to come in the portable where it is warm he just says he is plenty warm. ???
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2008, 12:51 PM »
one of my friends beats up a lot of guys at bars and also is an ice fisherman- does that count as tuff ?  ;D
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2008, 02:37 PM »
one of my friends beats up a lot of guys at bars and also is an ice fisherman- does that count as tuff ?  ;D

thats nothing man, i know a guy that kicked a grizzly bears ass! oh yeah he ice fishes too, does that count? haha  ::)  :laugh:
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2008, 02:40 PM »
thats nothing man, i know a guy that kicked a grizzly bears ass! oh yeah he ice fishes too, does that count? haha  ::)  :laugh:

that totally wins!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2008, 03:21 PM »
Please see this same question posted to Alaska. "KrashAlaska" is crazy.

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2008, 03:31 PM »
Please see this same question posted to Alaska. "KrashAlaska" is crazy.

im gunna throw this out there, I WOULD NOT MESS WITH THAT GUY

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2008, 04:02 AM »
Nay, just shows he's a mean drunk.

Offline Poopdeck Pappy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2008, 04:42 AM »
Only if he made the grizzly drill the holes. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2008, 08:24 AM »
Ive been in a fight on the ice.couple of guys sinking beer bottles and cans right next to me.but yeah i can sit on a bucket all day long in snow rain wind never really got into the hi tech stuff like shantys or handwarmers.I and my fishin buddys consider me an icefishing hardcore.See ya out there!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2008, 10:05 AM »
Once saw a fellow get his leg cut on ice. It was a 4 inch open gash so he pulls out his sewing kit and stitches himself up. Did a nice job on those 15 stitches. I've seen doctors with sloppier stitching jobs.

Another time the same guys snowmachine went thru the ice and he was trapping in the middle of no where (nearest house is 60 miles away) and needed to get his machine out. He cuts a big hole in ice, and sees his machine in about 55 feet of water (this is up north where waters are crystal clear), he strips, and proceeds to dive down with a rope so he can attach it to machine. Couldn't quite make it down all the way while holding his breath so gets out of water, dries off and gets a sack out of his backpack. He fills sack with rocks that he managed to dig up. Strips again and ties the sack full of rocks to himself, has knife in one hand ready to cut rope when he wants to come back to surface. Has other rope in hand ready to tie to snowmachine ski. Big gulp of air then pulls the sack over the edge of ice and he rockets to bottom in seconds, ties up rope to ski and cuts rope tied to rock sack and surfaces. Didn't think twice about doing it :-\

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2008, 04:04 PM »
Ive been in a fight on the ice.couple of guys sinking beer bottles and cans right next to me.but yeah i can sit on a bucket all day long in snow rain wind never really got into the hi tech stuff like shantys or handwarmers.I and my fishin buddys consider me an icefishing hardcore.See ya out there!
I follow the lead of guys like you. It's like drafting your car behind a tractor trailer. Suddenly your on the ice before you know it.

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2008, 04:17 PM »
the toughest ice fisher i know would half to be my 6 year old boy! he begs me to take him and begs not to leave, even after dark! he is truly a die hard fisherman! :flex: :flex:

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2008, 04:32 PM »
the toughest ice fisher i know would half to be my 6 year old boy! he begs me to take him and begs not to leave, even a fter dark! he is truly a die hard fisherman! /quote]                                                                                                                                                THATS AWSOME

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2008, 04:48 PM »
Once saw a fellow get his leg cut on ice. It was a 4 inch open gash so he pulls out his sewing kit and stitches himself up. Did a nice job on those 15 stitches. I've seen doctors with sloppier stitching jobs.

Another time the same guys snowmachine went thru the ice and he was trapping in the middle of no where (nearest house is 60 miles away) and needed to get his machine out. He cuts a big hole in ice, and sees his machine in about 55 feet of water (this is up north where waters are crystal clear), he strips, and proceeds to dive down with a rope so he can attach it to machine. Couldn't quite make it down all the way while holding his breath so gets out of water, dries off and gets a sack out of his backpack. He fills sack with rocks that he managed to dig up. Strips again and ties the sack full of rocks to himself, has knife in one hand ready to cut rope when he wants to come back to surface. Has other rope in hand ready to tie to snowmachine ski. Big gulp of air then pulls the sack over the edge of ice and he rockets to bottom in seconds, ties up rope to ski and cuts rope tied to rock sack and surfaces. Didn't think twice about doing it :-\
That's the stuff legends are made of!
Proud NRA Life Member

Offline CaughtYa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was ICE fishin'
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2008, 05:54 PM »
Great post/story Grumpy! The great thing about winter is it ferrets out the wimps, and there ain't no wimpy hardcore ice fisherman! Those of us that brave the sometimes brutal winter elements while ice fishing on a bucket are the toughest of to tough! I have always ice fished in a heated shanty and therefore don't qualify for the "toughest of the tough" title. But, I do have the utmost respect for the bucket ice fisherman. Hats off to you fellas, you know who you are!   :tipup:   

The great thing about winter is it ferrets out the wimps!

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2008, 07:39 PM »
Hands down, my 8 year old son. He gets up at all hours of the morning, sometimes pretty much just after going to bed, to travel sometimes 2+ hours to find fishable ice with me. He not only bucket fishes with me ( no shelter) all day 6-7 hours, never complaining that the fish aren't biting or it's to cold ( if he gets cold he pulls our sled around the tip-up spread) but he has the uncanny ability to tell if the bait shop shorted us on our usual 4 doz. large shiners, BEFORE, we leave the bait shop! He always has a smile or a joke for me after a fish spites the bait, to cheer me up. Then after a long sometimes very slow day, he fights to stay awake on the ride home to keep me company.
  NOW, on top of entertaining me all day on the ice, He deals with his TYPE 1 diabetes, which involves testing his sugar multiple times a day and taking his insulin on the ice. Also dealing with the sometimes " crummy feelings" he gets due to it. Yet he never complains because he says when he was in the hospital, there were kids much sicker then him. Instead he thinks about where to drill that next hole or what shiner in the bucket to put on his lucky tip-up........ I could only wish to be half  "the toughest ice fisher" as he.
 Here's to you my son.......

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2008, 08:07 PM »
Hands down, my 8 year old son. He gets up at all hours of the morning, sometimes pretty much just after going to bed, to travel sometimes 2+ hours to find fishable ice with me. He not only bucket fishes with me ( no shelter) all day 6-7 hours, never complaining that the fish aren't biting or it's to cold ( if he gets cold he pulls our sled around the tip-up spread) but he has the uncanny ability to tell if the bait shop shorted us on our usual 4 doz. large shiners, BEFORE, we leave the bait shop! He always has a smile or a joke for me after a fish spites the bait, to cheer me up. Then after a long sometimes very slow day, he fights to stay awake on the ride home to keep me company.
  NOW, on top of entertaining me all day on the ice, He deals with his TYPE 1 diabetes, which involves testing his sugar multiple times a day and taking his insulin on the ice. Also dealing with the sometimes " crummy feelings" he gets due to it. Yet he never complains because he says when he was in the hospital, there were kids much sicker then him. Instead he thinks about where to drill that next hole or what shiner in the bucket to put on his lucky tip-up........ I could only wish to be half  "the toughest ice fisher" as he.
(Image removed from quote.)
A winner for sure!....AND one of the most heartwarming stories I've read so far.  Best of luck to both of you.
Proud NRA Life Member

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2008, 08:38 PM »
WOW what an amazing friend you have and i thought i was tough.The pic of him and his sled is a tear jerker.Maybe his diabetes will receed to at least a lower case.I am having a son in May i would be so lucky to have a son like yours.Good luck guys. :flex:

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2008, 08:45 PM »
Yes, I do feel so lucky to have him, in fact yesterday I picked up a shappell DX3000 for us, he deserves it, and earned it. But we are gonna have to get use to being inside, we are use to our buckets ;) :icefish: :icefish:

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2008, 08:57 PM »
Yes, I do feel so lucky to have him, in fact yesterday I picked up a shappell DX3000 for us, he deserves it, and earned it. But we are gonna have to get use to being inside, we are use to our buckets ;) :icefish: :icefish:
Bravo have fun in the new shanty cant wait to see the pics.HAVE FUN GUYS.

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 19, 2008, 09:05 PM »
JCaughtem, thanks my friend, and from my family, our best wishes for a strong healthy hardwater fishing Baby!!!!!!!!!

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 19, 2008, 09:10 PM »
JCaughtem, thanks my friend, and from my family, our best wishes for a strong healthy hardwater fishing Baby!!!!!!!!!
Thanx because my girlfriend has actually been diagnosed with gestational diabetes she is on a strict diet insulin but we are right on top of it but thank you all .Now go get some whoppers. ;D

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2008, 04:05 AM »

I think we have a winner!   

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 20, 2008, 04:07 AM »
the toughest ice fisher i know would half to be my 6 year old boy! he begs me to take him and begs not to leave, even after dark! he is truly a die hard fisherman! :flex: :flex:
A young one that is tough. You must be proud.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 20, 2008, 04:10 AM »
I need a fishing buddy like that. You must be a proud dad.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 20, 2008, 04:18 AM »
Here's to your son! All hail the tough. 

icewagon

« Reply #29 on: Feb 20, 2008, 07:18 AM »

:whistle:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.