Author Topic: New set of traps  (Read 2608 times)

Offline NHfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
New set of traps
« on: Feb 15, 2008, 04:31 PM »
I have a mixture of traps right now, but i am looking to buy a nice primary set. I was thinking Jack traps or Heritage. I have a couple heritage traps and like them. Ive never fished with a jack trap, but heard they are very nice, any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
Re: New set of traps
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2008, 04:48 PM »
hey buddy, if you want the best traps made..........call a guy in berlin, nh named roland  patry......he makes the best home made traps......they will make those heritage traps look like something from BIG LOTS.......he charges 12 dollars a trap......i am serious he makes traps that will last you a lifetime........you can tell when you fish with someone from berlin.......we all have the same traps........if you need more info let me know......
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2008, 05:08 PM »
jibbs,does he make them in polar style?
Jig em up!

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2008, 05:13 PM »
no......they are stand ups.....they are made from ripped hardwood and then laquered (spelling)........they have great hardware that really stands the test of time......if you didn't want to call him they sell them at the west milan store.........
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline YOAdrien

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2008, 06:04 PM »
My favorite are the "Ice Man" trap made by 40-up company, rugged trap, good quality. Big, but not too big. They are my lake trout traps but definately good for all species. I have a set of 6 they go for around 20 bucks.

Lots of options, i also like the standard 40-up green trap for around 8 bucks, I have 27 of them.

I used to use Heritage Lakers as my main lake trout traps but we fell out of love, they are good traps too, but awful big and bulky, also good f'ing luck finding replacement parts if you need them. That is wht i gave my lakers away, they all were missing something and annoying me. 

PROUD SPONSOR OF ICESHANTY.COM

Offline fishingrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2008, 06:28 PM »
I just bought a set of Jack's they're excellent but pricey .I have Heritage lakers ,nor'easters, frabills'and assorted others Jack's are by far the best in quality ,smooth all stainless and can be easily relubed.I have had the nor'easters freeze ,the Heritage lose reels due to the shaft pulling out and assorted other problems .Most of these can be addressed with proper care but I'm thinking of selling all but the Jacks and building some myself.
If your going to go out with the boys,You better get up with the men.

Offline YOAdrien

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2008, 06:43 PM »
I just bought a set of Jack's they're excellent but pricey .I have Heritage lakers ,nor'easters, frabills'and assorted others Jack's are by far the best in quality ,smooth all stainless and can be easily relubed.I have had the nor'easters freeze ,the Heritage lose reels due to the shaft pulling out and assorted other problems .Most of these can be addressed with proper care but I'm thinking of selling all but the Jacks and building some myself.

do the jack's still use those skinny metal reels?

i always hated those.

my fingers can't get in to get my hook out unless i fill em way up.
then because they are so skinny if sombody else winds the line back on and doesn't do it perfect it doesn't fit back on very well, especially a problem when it's super cold and the line really ices up.

also the spools are made from very thick metal, that holds the cold really well, on a cold day the second you put that thick piece of metal (the spool) in the water it turns to a block of ice. you have to really warm up the spool before putting it in the water, a thinner material spool warms up faster, (hot breath for a few seconds does the trick) and doesn't ice as bad.

If you don't fish in extreme cold don't worry about it, fill up the reels about 3/4 so you can grab your hook to get it out and plop em in the hole! 
PROUD SPONSOR OF ICESHANTY.COM

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2008, 06:55 PM »
beaver dam traps are great,high quality,made the same way for over 45 years.
expensive at 40 bucks each.www.beaverdamtipu ps.com        ithink
Jig em up!

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:13 PM »
this is the bigger size......i like to use them in snow conditions, but they do not hold well in the wind when the ice clear of slush and snow........i do own 18 in the smaller size and they work great in every condition!......the bigger ones are 16 to 18 dollars and the smaller ones run 12 to 13

Offline realdealne.com

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:16 PM »
$45 bucks a trap, wow must be one heck of a trap  :tipup: hope you catch a ton of fish with it

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:19 PM »
i believe they out fished you at winni.how many flags did you have there?
Jig em up!

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:29 PM »
smell like a skunk around here
Jig em up!

Offline NHfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2008, 08:11 PM »
Thanks for the responses, its all personal preference i guess, jibbs those are some nice looking traps i definetly will look into those. I dont see paying 40 when i can pay 12 or 18. I actually have one with that style flag system and i do like it, there are no wind flags at all. Thanks will let you know if i need more info. 

Offline fish time

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • i live to fish
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2008, 08:57 PM »
do yourself a favor and buy jack traps thay are the best ;)
from big ice to small ice i will be out there me and my bumpa

Offline snohiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just give me water hard or not and ill be happy
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:07 PM »
Heritage Lakers on sale right now kittery tp 15 bucks apiece i just bought one , would of got some extras but the vex used all my cash

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2008, 05:26 PM »
do yourself a favor and buy jack traps thay are the best ;)
same trap

Offline fish time

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • i live to fish
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2008, 08:54 PM »
from big ice to small ice i will be out there me and my bumpa

Offline pickeral boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2008, 08:27 AM »
Jack traps cost $35 per. That's way too much to pay. I have the same as Jibbs  hand made by Roland Patry in Berlin NH. Just as nice but easier on the wallet at $12. Ask Jibbs to pick some up for you. Best money you ever spent.

Offline pickeral boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2008, 08:31 AM »
Same "style" trap, less money. Same quality.

Offline whitepinkspikes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2008, 08:54 AM »
Jack traps cost $35 per. That's way too much to pay. I have the same as Jibbs  hand made by Roland Patry in Berlin NH. Just as nice but easier on the wallet at $12. Ask Jibbs to pick some up for you. Best money you ever spent.
  really nice traps made in berlin, great its always nice to buy things made in this state. anyone ever go smelting in newmarket? warren rings a bell a olds fellow on a point in newmarket has several shacks charged $25.00 a night fish til ya get your limit or cold & want to go home.is he still alive? if so does he still rent out shacks? thanks

Offline salmotrutta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2008, 05:17 PM »
Got 5 jack traps last year.Quality tip ups but my only complaint is the weight.They're heavy.My favorite is still the 40 up "green" traps.Easy to set off and lightweight.Parts are also available for them.I have twelve of them and six are over 18 years old and work just as good as the day i bought them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.