Author Topic: Bobhouses: Good, Bad, and the Ugly  (Read 759 times)

Offline crawpie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bobhouses: Good, Bad, and the Ugly
« on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:52 PM »
Hi all,

Was just reading the thread about buidling a bobhouse and the pros and cons of portables, when I got thinking about bobhouses in general.

They are really great, if only because they allow anyone in the state to have lakeside vacation home for at least a little while.  All those million dollar home owners have to look at your dump of a shack all winter and there is nothing they can do about it.  A friend of mine purposefuly put up a particularly hillbilly-looking shack up on Chocurra because he read that the lake and associated mountain was one of the most photographed spots in New Hampshire.  Now there could be hundreds of pics with his eye-sore of a shack right in the middle of them.

Are there any rules on size and elaborateness of a bobhouse? Could someone camp out for months and avoid property tax and rental fees?  I hesitate a bit for mentioning it since NH F&G is has been just looking for things to tax and they already got the canoes and kayaks (did that happen yet?), but I am sure some bean counter somewhere has already thought about it.

I do wonder (although not too loudly) how bobhouses have escaped the rulemakers' pen.  I fish the Bellamy, which is a major water supply for Portsmouth and I think has a no motor boat no swimming rule.  But when some of the bobhouses are pulled from the lake, it looks like a trash can and a porto-potty was dumped on the ice (picture that scene the next time you have a glass of water at the Portsmouth restraunt).  Last year I actually saw what looked like a latrine in a 10 inch hole.   :embarassed:  Also, I think the untreated sewage entering the Squamscott river at River Rd shanty town would make folks cringe too.

This is a bit of an odd question but: If you had to guess, what percentage of people in the houses are whizzing or worst on the ice? 
The Quest continues

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bobhouses: Good, Bad, and the Ugly
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2008, 01:24 PM »
This is a bit of an odd question but: If you had to guess, what percentage of people in the houses are whizzing or worst on the ice? 

I'd go nearly 99% pee on the ice.  Little kids can't wait, adults don't want to take their traps out, dogs don't listen, etc...  Then you have all the people that are a long ways off shore.  I don't think many people are droppin' doogans on the ice... at least, I hope not too many.  Ya never know.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.