Author Topic: Squamscott River ice  (Read 1774 times)

Offline doabbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mmmm smelt...
Squamscott River ice
« on: Feb 14, 2008, 10:24 AM »
Went down to the river last night to check out the conditions and to possibly fish.  Shoveled out the shanty and blocked it up so it wouldn't get frozen into the slush.  There were two guys out on the ice who said there was only about 3"   :o

There were a couple shanties still out on the river, one of them had started to sink with one end up in the air and the other deep in the water.

Not sure if anyone else has been down but things aren't looking too good.  I thought for sure the colder weather would have made conditions better.

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Squamscott River ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2008, 01:00 PM »
Gonna get cold again tonight and even colder tomorrow night and Saturday. Hopefully it's not over, I haven't been out there yet this year and I was hoping to.

Offline doabbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mmmm smelt...
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2008, 01:51 PM »
The thing is we just haven't gotten any sustained cold shots in a while.  It is definitely cold at night and there are days here and there with temps in the the 20's, but then we get these 40+ temp days with rain, or just 40+ days with cold nights and it just isn't allowing the ice to get thicker. 

We're also in a situation were there is no blocking going on and the cold air warm air cycle has produced a ton of snow, but is not doing any good for river ice.

I hope I'm wrong and we can continue to fish but I just haven't seen anything positive showing up on the weather forecast.

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2008, 02:48 PM »
I here ya. Gotta love global warming. When I was a kid we used to try to guess how many feet of ice there would be on the bay that year. Now we try to guess if there will be enough to make it worth putting the shack on.

Offline Rob F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishing!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2008, 04:32 PM »
Where is the Squamscott River? I'm confused, I keep thinking that its off of River Rd in Stratham but I "think" that's the Exeter river.. ???

When I went Tues night it was only about 4+ inches..

RF

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2008, 06:00 PM »
Where is the Squamscott River? I'm confused, I keep thinking that its off of River Rd in Stratham but I "think" that's the Exeter river.. ???

When I went Tues night it was only about 4+ inches..

RF

The Exeter river stops at the dam and the Squamscott begins in downtown Exeter.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline Rob F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2008, 08:44 PM »
The Exeter river stops at the dam and the Squamscott begins in downtown Exeter.

Spike

Kewl, thanks for the clarification..

RF

Offline Rob F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:29 AM »
Is anyone going out there soon. Would like to get out there Sat night with my 7 year old son.

I just heard someone fell in at the Bay (he is ok but after that he said his Season was done for the year)..

If anyone is going to the River, please report the ice thickness.. Thanks in advance..

RF

Offline mason

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2008, 11:28 AM »
Anyone go out smelt fishing there last night.  I was thinking of going tonight but i have to drive 1 hour 45 minutes to get there so i was wondering if anyone had any luck.

Offline Rob F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2008, 05:46 PM »
I am heading out right now to catch the 9:30 PM high tide.. will report when I get back in..

RF

Offline mason

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2008, 08:49 PM »
Thanks looking forward to hearing from you. Im headed for sure tomorrow. just curiuos if any luck with the smelt

Offline Rob F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2008, 06:36 AM »
Over 5 inches of ice, but no smelt for me and my 7 year old son. We were there from 8 till midnight.

Parking lot was full and along River road.. Spoke with about half dozen parties and only one smelt between all of us.

3 girls from Fish and Game came around about 10 PM doing a survey. I also asked them how everyone else was doing. They mentioned there was one group that caught about 20.

Gonna try again Tuesday night for the full moon - high tide...

Good luck..

RF

Offline doabbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mmmm smelt...
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2008, 08:38 AM »
Was anyone fishing out of there shanties?  Last time I was down there, there was a shanty sinking into the ice.  Was that one still there?  Thanks for the post.

Offline mason

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2008, 08:45 AM »
Thanks for the update.  doesnt sound good to me. Ill most likely go anyway better than sitting at home wondering if im gonna miss a good run of smelt.

Offline Rob F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2008, 02:03 PM »
Off of the top of my head I say there was at least 8 or 10 shanties back on the ice. The one that was sinking was removed but remnants was still sticking in the ice.

Report back if you go. I am looking to go Tuesday night for the full moon, high tide..

RF

Offline doabbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mmmm smelt...
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2008, 03:13 PM »
I won't be able to get out until tomorrow night and with RAIN (officially a four letter word this year) and 50 degree temps on tap I don't think I'll even bother.  I'm just gonna go buy a couple pounds of smelts and just dump them on the ground next to the shanty and sit in there for fun.   ;)

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2008, 05:37 PM »
LOL!

Offline Rob F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2008, 09:10 PM »
LMAO!! :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe you can get them cheaper on Ebay.. :tipup: