The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Smelting at Leighton's  (Read 1676 times)

Offline KingCinna

• IceShanty Rookie
Smelting at Leighton's
« on: Feb 13, 2008, 07:32 PM »
Hey everyone. I'm heading up to Leighton's smelt camp on Saturday. I was wondering if anyone can offer any tips or suggestions for a first time smelt fishing trip. Also wondering if anyone has had much luck at Leighton's recently.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
Re: Smelting at Leighton's
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2008, 07:36 PM »
easy don't go there.. go to bakers, or worthings (to the right of the ramp) use a jig board

Offline fishinboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2008, 07:41 PM »
Hey everyone. I'm heading up to Leighton's smelt camp on Saturday. I was wondering if anyone can offer any tips or suggestions for a first time smelt fishing trip. Also wondering if anyone has had much luck at Leighton's recently.
go to bakers and bring some line with you and put on about a foot or so an you will do good

Offline Countryboydtx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:05 AM »
bring a jigging pole, and fish with a small fly, with some guts on it, or eye balls

Offline kimball07

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • race,fish,and hunt
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2008, 07:23 AM »
you'll be fine at lieghtons, my buddy's filled a five gallon bucket on heavy lines in 3 hours a couple days ago. right there ;)

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2008, 02:22 PM »
leightons is a decent place to go, he wont do you wrong, he runs a very respectable set of camps and there for can come across very strict but his few ground rules arent hard to go by.  OH YEAH the closer you get to the bridge you are the better off you'll be, and if the bite is slow use a jig rod with a very small jig tipped with a piece of worm

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2008, 03:21 PM »
I went there a few times last year but never did well myself. Leighton is a great guy and even threw an extra bag of bait our way when we went but like I said, we never did well. The first time we went one whole side of the shack was on the bottom and I couldn't fish for a half a tide. If you end up going here, try to bring a jigging rod with a sabiki rig and you will catch more fish than you would with the house lines.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2008, 03:24 PM »
yeah really shallow water there, also he is the priciest smelt camp too.. :-\

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2008, 06:07 PM »
you'll be fine at lieghtons, my buddy's filled a five gallon bucket on heavy lines in 3 hours a couple days ago. right there ;)
Really did you go last i might be taking ours off this week ??????

Offline kimball07

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • race,fish,and hunt
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2008, 06:27 PM »
Really did you go last i might be taking ours off this week ??????
i want to go once more, let me know when i'll help you and maybe get mine off too?

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2008, 06:29 PM »
i want to go once more, let me know when i'll help you and maybe get mine off too?
when you going.. I wouldn't mind getting one last crack at your shack, and I could give you guyz a hand

Offline KingCinna

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2008, 01:22 PM »
Leighton's was a bust after they only reserved one shack instead of two for us, but we went over to Jim's Camp and brought in about 60 between our 2 shacks in about 5 hours time. Much thanks to everyone for the tips, this newbie appreciates it.

Offline Mother Ducker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2008, 03:18 PM »
Went up to River Bend Smelt Camps Feb 9th, 2030 tide, 3 people 4dz smelts.  Have heard good things about Leighton's!

Offline Ware18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2008, 08:46 PM »
Fished Friday at Leightons got 250 between 6 guys 8-11 then it shut off jig poles with sabiki rigs cut in half only 3 hooks with tiny piece of worm.  real nice place very helpful

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.