Author Topic: Is this legal  (Read 4980 times)

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
Is this legal
« on: Jan 14, 2004, 06:49 PM »
I was out fishing last weekend and caught my limit of walleyes(which is four where I was at). Heres the question: I was talking to some guys out on the ice before heading back to town to clean and freeze my fish. They told me why don't you just put them in a pale and put them on shore somewhere(now this was around 10 pm). Then they said just don't fish till after midnight and catch your next day's limit. You can have 8 walleyes in your posseasion. IS THIS LEGAL.  ???

kjay

Re:Is this legal
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2004, 06:51 PM »
In ontario it wouldnt be. It is how many you possess at one time. We also have a maximum number of frozen or fillets we can have in the freezer too. So i would say no but it is different laws in the states.
kjay

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2004, 06:52 PM »
Yes it is legal in Pennsylvania to do that.         olds

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2004, 06:55 PM »
Sounds illegal, if you got caught with the 8 fish you'd be fined.

Offline RyGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2005 Ice Shanty Tournament Winner - LargemouthBass
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2004, 07:36 PM »
Sounds legal in Mass.  Good luck trying to explain that 4 are from yesterday when you are leaving.

A safer way to play it is, clean them and pack them up put them in your truck and then go back onto the ice.  If you are close enough to drop them on shore in a pail, you might at well walk to your truck.
And the winner is>>>>

RyGuy

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2004, 07:48 PM »
leagal yes, could you prove it? probly not.
Anthony

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2004, 07:49 PM »
It sounds legal, but what would you do for 2 hours on a cold night??  Even in a shanty, unless you can get a card game going!!! LOL!!

Mike
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2004, 07:50 PM »
Hey thats what I thought. How does the conservaion officer know when you caught them. As far as he knows you caught them all the same day.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2004, 07:53 PM »
In WI it IS legal. The problem is having PROOF that u caught 4 of them the day before. In WI your possesion limit is double your daily bag limit. Also, if you had to wait 2 hours until midnight anyhow, why not just drive home clean and freeze the fish.... THEN head back out to the lake after mid-night. Then there is no questions if the warden comes around. Thats just what i would do, but then again, i only live 7 mins from 3 different lakes here.  :D

Melbs                  :'(

Offline Outdoors_Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2004, 07:58 PM »
Legal is like love.All in the eyes of the beholder.In this case ( and most ) the beholder is the one that enforces the law. Find out what the laws are and obey them.Why you ask ? Cuz you may be the only one around that does and therefore you alone are helping to protect the body of water(fishery) for others in the future. I for one refuse to break the law no matter how dumb I may find it to be for I have too much to lose.Just imagine your rights to fish taken away from you. Sorry to seem crass but hope I made my point.  ;)

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2004, 07:59 PM »
Of course it isn't legal!  Any time someone says " Go hide your fish on shore"TAKE A NOTE"
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:06 PM »
No, you do not need to hide your fish. You do have to keep them on seperate stringers. You are allowed to have two days catch in possession. Just because it is legal does not mean you have to do it. olds

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:11 PM »
I really dont know about other states, but i get double limits legally all the time in NY and have been checked. If i keep 25 crappies before midnight i have to take them back and put them in my truck(1 hour walk). Now i take another 25 fish limit after midnight. When checked in the vehicle i am leagle in transporting a 2 day limit.
Simple eh?

cid

« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:22 PM »
Some states the Possession limit will differ from the Daily limit.
I would check it out with an official dept though.
Some game laws can aquire all the associated vehicles, equipment ect ect.  with a violation
Gotta take the advice about "hiding the fish" and think is it worth it?? "Hiding" and "legal" dont seem to belong together Eh? ::)

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:30 PM »
I don't see how they would know when you caught them unless they were sitting there the whoel night.  So my geuss would be it is illegal.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2004, 08:33 PM »
it would be legal in maine as long as you dont exceed the possesion limit which is often twice the daily bag limit,although it varies with different species.yes,proving it or convincing the warden is another story,at least,  thats what i get from the rules & regs

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2004, 09:17 PM »
Depends on the possession limit. LEGAL usually
INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. At least that's what this place is supposed to be ;) If they dispute it and give you a huge fine, be there on your court date and you will not be fined. easy as pie.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline trouthunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Trout thru the ice are nice!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2004, 11:47 AM »
Legal or not, I think the question really should be; Is this ethical?  Is it that important to have the extra fish? We fisherman are responsible for the conservation of the resource and if we don't set a good example, then who will?

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2004, 09:27 AM »
Yes it's ethical, if i'm up north 70miles away camped out on the ice i not going to pack up and leave with 4 walleyes. If that were to ever happen.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

Offline trouthunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Trout thru the ice are nice!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2004, 10:46 AM »
good point, swalleyi.  some situations are different than others

Offline RodH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2004, 05:16 PM »
As long as the daily limit is not exceeded each day, I don't see a problem with having two day's catch in your posession.  But remember that the warden will be suspicious for obvious reasons.  You might concider packaging each mess of fish separately (even put a date on there with a sharpy).  Might help you prove you case if a CO puts you in that position.

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2004, 08:17 PM »
In Manitoba it is not legal. Matter of fact you cannot even have more than the limit in your freezer. Actually this is a good rule as it really protects our resources.
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2004, 08:30 AM »
Yeah honest Mr. ECO I caught these 4 last night before midnight....and...and. ..these 4 this morning just after midnight.  ;D
Rich Ferguson

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2004, 09:44 AM »
If the game warden catches you transporting your 8 fish to your truck at 2:am, do you really think he'll believe you when you tell him you got 4 before midnite and 4 after midnite? No matter how honest or sincere you are, you still have too many fish with you. If you catch a limit, fillet them, leave the skin on the fillets so they can be recognized, pack them up, date them, put them in a cooler in the truck, and go back fishing. Now when the warden stops you on the way back, you are legal. No questions, no problems, and no court date...! If you plan on taking a 2 day limit, you should prepare yourself for it by having all the equipment you need to do so. Fillet knife, bags, marking pen, cooler, and ice or snow. Too many people get fined because they dont prepare themselves properly. A few minutes of preparation can save a lot of aggrevation.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2004, 05:21 PM »
Great advice Chumster,great advice! Yes legal where i'M at. Did you ever think of just eating a few? I do . Ever watch afew natives set up tip-ups for 3 hours and you stop counting at 40 something...well lets talk about ethics...I don't feel bad for having double limit as it's seperated and ready to go!
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2004, 09:08 PM »
 8) 8) kool its legal here  because @midnite its another day beginning  but  the dec will be rely thinking your illagal  & there has been a lot said on this topic  do what you feel is rite

Steve
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

MIgander

« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2004, 08:35 AM »
Perfectly legal!  As long as you wait until after midnight to catch the next fish.  As for the CO they have to catch you in the act of being over your limit for one day.  We run into this question alot in MI because so many of us fish over in Ohio waters or Canadian waters where limits are more fish.  The CO has to catch you in the act they can not just assume you are violating.

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2004, 10:03 AM »
Legal or not, I think the question really should be; Is this ethical?  Is it that important to have the extra fish? We fisherman are responsible for the conservation of the resource and if we don't set a good example, then who will?

I don't see why any fisherperson needs to keep 8 walleye in one fishing trip. Nonsense. >:( >:( >:(

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2004, 10:47 AM »
V.C., i've had as many as 2 limits with me when the limit was 6 per day. When you travel 4 hours one way to fish for a weekend, why not keep your limits? I only make the trip a couple times a year tho. That's enuff fish to last me almost all season, if my family doesn't get in my freezer too. As long as you're eating the fish, it should be okay to keep limits.

Offline ice-is-nice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Irish Hills Area - Mi
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2004, 01:43 PM »
Not sure if it's legal or not....but I want to know where you were fishing and what you were fishing with...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.