Author Topic: bobhouses  (Read 2365 times)

Offline brett me hot

• IceShanty Rookie
bobhouses
« on: Feb 13, 2008, 12:13 PM »
well after fishing Winnie derby we are making a bobhouse any tips
get the gaff

Offline Vic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: bobhouses
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2008, 12:16 PM »
something lite

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2008, 12:37 PM »

Offline brett me hot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2008, 01:53 PM »
it might be expandebl and have bunks but my  friends snowmobeal will pull it
get the gaff

Offline WetlinesNCocktails

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flaaaaaaaaag!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2008, 06:11 PM »
A buddy and I built an 8' long x 6.5' wide bobhouse on an old trailer.  Worked out great.  We can tow it anywhere and then pull it on the ice with an ATV.  It's actually pretty lightweight.  Sleeps 3 with storage under each plywood bunk.  We also installed a cheap light and use it with a battery and inverter.

I suppose it all depends on how fancy you want to get.  If you're planning on spending a night or two, you may want to think about some sort of insulation.  We used that pink foam stuff (not fiberglass).  With a small portable propane heater (Mr. Heater), we've had the temp in the high 60's when it was 15 degrees outside and strong winds. 

Good times!
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."   - Benjamin Franklin

Offline brett me hot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2008, 06:17 PM »
ya were putting it on a old trailer and making it out of alumna
get the gaff

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2008, 07:08 PM »
aluminum will be nice and light but wicked hard to keep warm. one thing I can say from having three hardsides is to invest in a nice door, there are a few websites out there with stuff made just for ice shacks and believe it or not a lot of them have a selection of different doors. and man, having a simple door with a nice clunky knob that wont give you troubles when you have big gloves on or a load of gear is so nice. haha.

find a good way to keep it insulated, and well lit, both can make the difference between a miserable night of bundling up and freezing, and being blind or having a good time fishing in the warm.

a good pair of ski's or teflon strips on your runners is another good choice if you wont have much horsepower yanking it around. on the snow/ice

if you are gonna go big, make sure it is nice and wind resistant, its unbelievable how much harder it is to heat an 8X8 verses a 4X6, my butterfly style heater got my 4X6 toasting, but didnt do anything for my 8X8 because I had drafts in my windows.

~Neal

Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2008, 07:13 PM »
add a stove box too. it will free up alot of floor space.

JIGGIN.

Offline YOAdrien

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2008, 08:13 PM »
DON'T DO IT!!!

Get a good portable like a frabill that folds out of the sled, all your gear fits in the big tub, it doesn't get stuck in the slush. You don't have to haul a big dumb thing on and off the ice and up to the lake and back.

You can go to different spots.

You don't need to bribe your friends to help you with the stupid thing.

Unless you really have the time to play with it, and keep it in good condition, and worry about it, it's nothing but a big pain in the butt.

Having a bob house is like having a headache all winter, and then it sits in your yard and gives you a headache all summer.

Don't do it!

Just my opinion, it sounds like a great idea until you actually do it.

PROUD SPONSOR OF ICESHANTY.COM

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2008, 09:32 PM »
 Hi -Yo Adrien,

You make some good point's, but  We actually stay in ours all weekend for the derby.

Also a few years ago (3) when the winds were 70-80mph at the derby, Thank God we made our shack (wetlines & I) as sturdy/solid as we did it weighs about 800lbs and is built on an old pop-tent trailer. We tow it with our 4 wheeler/ works great.   Do you know how many portables went for a long ride that weekend? , most into open water by the docks. Just my opinion  Bobhouses are better for the longer outings/ Portables are nice for the day trip.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2008, 11:01 AM »
DON'T DO IT!!!

Get a good portable like a frabill that folds out of the sled, all your gear fits in the big tub, it doesn't get stuck in the slush. You don't have to haul a big dumb thing on and off the ice and up to the lake and back.

You can go to different spots.

You don't need to bribe your friends to help you with the stupid thing.

Unless you really have the time to play with it, and keep it in good condition, and worry about it, it's nothing but a big pain in the butt.

Having a bob house is like having a headache all winter, and then it sits in your yard and gives you a headache all summer.

Don't do it!

Just my opinion, it sounds like a great idea until you actually do it.

I AGREE......THEY CAN BE A BIG PAIN IN THE REAR END.......YOU ARE ALWAYS WORRIED ABOUT ICE CONDITIONS, THE RAIN, THE SNOW, THE SLUSH, GETTING IN ON THE ICE, WHEN TO TAKE IT OFF......I DON'T WANT ONE, BECAUSE I NEED TO FISH DIFFERENT PLACES AND AREAS EACH WEEKEND.....I WOULD GET BORED FISHING THE SAME AREA EACH WEEKEND
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2008, 04:22 PM »
When its cold and windy nothing beats a good heated shanty
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2008, 05:20 PM »
 For two guys a 4'x8'with1" insultion blue board.  1/4 "sheathing(underlayment is mahogany so it deters rot)and 1/2" pressure treated on the floors.2x4 ripped in half for the wall studs and rafters. 2x4floor framing with 2x10 or 2x12 pressure treated skis. I've built five of bohouses over the years and this is what Ive come up with.I do have drawings with dimensions.
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline brett me hot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2008, 05:40 PM »
well when u want to sleep on the ice and fish all night it wall help my friable is  in  the  botten of a like in ma. it  blew across the ice last winter and i cant  get it back  so I'm just going to build i the  sled  will pull it
get the gaff

Offline TMBWarriors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleye
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2008, 06:38 PM »
Yes they are alot of work getting them out,but it is well worth the effort and it works so good when you have winds that blow on average of 20 mph almost every weekend.

I use a 2wd Honda 300 with chains and it will pull my shack very easy.When the snow gets a little deep we use 2 machines with a double nylon strap ,one to each ATV or snow mobile.

When the ice is smooth one man can push the shack alone with ease.
This shack is 10 years old and still works great for me and my wife,and the kids.

This shack is 8x8 with a small area on the end for the heater inside.
3/4 EMT conduit with a rubber roof,2x4 base with 3/4 advantec plywood floor,2x8 runners with poly skis,1/2 inch plywood on ends.
Also i have 5 holes for  jigging inside.I cut the bottom off a 5 gal pail and it seals up the holes in the floor.

Hope this helps .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.