The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: How to get more flags?  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Danny

• IceShanty Rookie
How to get more flags?
« on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:50 PM »
I manage to get on the ice once every week or 2 and usually manage to get some fish and sometimes even some real nice ones (this one took fourth saturday at A-1 BassMasters derby) but I don't seem to get those days with TONS of flags.  I have 3 young kids and would gladly trade quality fish for quantity.  There is nothing like non stop action with ANY fish to keep the kids interested.

So, any tips for lots of action?  Bait, size of bait? hooks? depths? anything.  I'm also always open to some pond recomendations in eastern MA.

Thanks!

Offline MUNICH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Soldier
Re: How to get more flags?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2008, 02:25 PM »
If you van find a deep hole or drop off in comparison to the average depth of the body of water the perch and other fish should be there. Small shiners and octopus hooks would be my choice, just try different depths to you find them. Once you do you'll have a lot of action. This should help with quantity smaller is opening your range to more possibilities. Also try doing the same thing with Jigging rods and just letting them sit with the shiner, kids may find it more fun brining the fish up on a light rod that they can feel the fight. Just use rod holders, or actic warriors (there is a few people that use them hear, I would consult ron carr) or even just propping it in some snow or ice near the hole.

Good Luck.
J. Cotier

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2008, 02:36 PM »
When with kids or people new to icefishing I try to find lakes with alot of panfish or pickerel. The hammer handles can keep ya' busy.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2008, 04:13 PM »
try dropping down to small shiners and finding access to a private pond thats known for good fishing  ;)

Offline goosehonker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2008, 04:43 PM »
Try using fathead minnows.  They are small, but panfish love them and they are active enough to get the attention of bass/trout, etc.  Size 6 for everything too.

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2008, 06:33 PM »
Use a mono or flouro leader at least 3 feet long. Don't tie hook to ice line!

Make sure to use lively shiners. Keep them cold before fishing or they die under the ice.

Hook the shiner lightly in front of the dorsal so it hangs in a natural position and is not hurt. Do not hook through the spine!

Use a depth sounder and put a button on your line so you know just how far off the bottom you are and can return to the same depth after a flag.

Set bait 2 - 3 feet off bottom. Set higher when over thick weeds.

Be quiet on the ice!!! Learn to walk without cleats. Don't play hockey, skate or ride atms or snowmobiles near your traps.

Be quiet on the ice!!!

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2008, 12:52 AM »
This may just be my impression because of the picture, but if you want more quantity???......Let those nice bass go.  I see its on a stringer.  You have to let those nice size bass/pike go to be able to reproduce...not to mention letting another angler be able to tie into that fish as well.  I'm not against keeping fish...but if you want fish, keep panfish for the table.  They are better than anything out there.   Now...your fish could've very well been released...I'm hoping you did release it so your youngsters can go back and tangle into that fish themselves. Just my 2c.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2008, 01:12 AM »
I would agree with many that downsizing your bait and using smaller hooks will certainly lead to more flags, especially where yellow perch and crappie reside.  If you want to chase flags all day find a good pickerel lake and you'll go through 3 dozen shiners somedays like nothing.  That'll put a smile on the kids face.   ;D 
Also, don't be afraid to try jigging for panfish.  If you get a day where the panfish are on a bite especially early and late ice.  Those kids can have a ball catching bluegills on a light jigging outfit and small teardrop jigs.....that will keep them coming back for more.  I can't even use my vexilar fishfinder when my daughter comes with me, because she loves watching the screen and telling me when every fish comes into view.  Then when the fish chase her jig?.....She just can't get enough of it.  If you get into it a bit more, invest in a camera and show the kids the fish on screen.  They'd be amazed at seeing them live underneath the ice.  Heck....I know I am!
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline turbo 42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2008, 01:30 AM »
just get out there dress the kids warm and have a adventure with them thats the main thing but try to look around the internet for diff jiggs if your on staind water use Good! glow jiggs try lookin at a site called tiger eyes just google it i'm sure you'll find it but if there is a jigg thats made out of crack that'd be it, you might catch the same fish twice but eh lol
i'll still fish when hell freezes

Offline Danny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2008, 03:20 AM »
whitetail, The bass was on the stringer to keep it alive to weigh for the derby.  She was weighed shortly after the pic and released.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2008, 07:59 AM »
Small bait=small fish,,, I will wait with my big bait for big fish. If you want mare action try jigging with a Swedish Pimple and small meal worms.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline neo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2008, 06:20 PM »
danny  I have a 17 step program for you

step 1 find a girl
step 2 get married
step 3 have 1 kid
step 4 have 2 kids
step 5 have 3 kids
step 6 have 4 kids
step 7 have 5 kids
step 8 have 6 kids
step 9 have 7 kids
step 10 have 8 kids
step 11 have 9 kids
step 12 have 10 kids
step 13 wait till there older enough to fish
step 14 buy 50 more traps
step 15 by 6 dozen shinners
step 16 drill 55 holes
step 17 you have now achieved success you just got one more flagg

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2008, 06:38 PM »
Small bait=small fish,,, I will wait with my big bait for big fish. If you want mare action try jigging with a Swedish Pimple and small meal worms.

exactly what he said. smal bait= small fish= more fish normally. i will also wait any day with my big bait out.

Offline Massfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2008, 07:40 PM »
Big Bait doesnt equal big fish it equals keeping the small ones away, but not matter how big the perch still manage to get it in their god damn mouth, like 2 weeks ago when i caught a 10" perch on a 6" sucker.
I'm a Sucker Slaughterer!!

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2008, 08:04 PM »
Attaboy Danny.  We need more guys out there like you......not out there after just the big ones... but just out there to have a good time and show the kids a good time!!  Congrats on the beautiful bass by the way.  I was initially jumping to conclusions...my bad! 

Offline turbo 42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2008, 09:12 PM »
yea i'd agree on the sweedish pimple too, get some different sizes and colors and make sure you got line that will handle a big fish otherwise you just lost a five doller lure and use the split ring that comes with it!
i'll still fish when hell freezes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.